The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   8/26/2005: Tortoise gets fiberglass replacement belly (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9025)

Undertoad 08-26-2005 08:42 AM

8/26/2005: Tortoise gets fiberglass replacement belly

http://cellar.org/2005/fiberglassbelly.jpg

This tortoise is named Cactus, 40 years old, living at the San Francisco zoo. Ten years ago it was discovered that he had bladder stones; last year, he was doing poorly, and an xray showed that the stones finally had to be removed.

They removed one stone the size of a baseball, and three the size of golf balls. Those stones took up a pound of the guy's ten pounds of weight. And there's how they patched him up afterwards.

full story

LabRat 08-26-2005 08:51 AM

Imagine 10% of your weight in stones...YIKES. Hope he does OK. I'll have to look up how one gets bladder stones. Ech.

Bladder stones are hard buildups of mineral that form in the urinary bladder.

Bladder stones are usually the result of another urologic problem such as urinary tract infection, bladder diverticulum, neurogenic bladder, or an enlarged prostate. Approximately 95% of all bladder stones occur in men. Stones originating in the bladder are much less common than kidney stones.

Bladder stones may occur when urine in the bladder is concentrated and materials crystallize. The patient feels symptoms when the lining of the bladder is irritated by the stone or when the stone obstructs the flow of urine from the bladder.

More info

xoxoxoBruce 08-26-2005 09:25 AM

Quote:

On Monday, Cactus was out of the hospital and back on the floor in the Herpetology Room of the Animal Resource Center, living amid hay and grasses. Desert tortoises Mojave and Helga also occupy the space, in separate but equal enclosures.
Separate but equal......Hmmm, that's an interesting idea.
Maybe that could be applied to people that are different. :biggrinba

Hobbs 08-26-2005 09:26 AM

Geez, wouldn't that be great. doctors open you up, take out your appendix, then patch you up with a good dose of Bondo®.

BigV 08-26-2005 12:03 PM

I like how the blonde spokes-model in the photo dyed her hair to complement the tortise.

Queen of the Ryche 08-26-2005 12:34 PM

I'm digging the doc's expression, holding the chunk of crystallized urine..........
"I wonder how much I can get for this on Ebay..."

Trilby 08-26-2005 01:13 PM

I'll bet he feels soooooooo much better! :)

capnhowdy 08-26-2005 05:29 PM

this is a quantum leap from " fiberglass underwear". Glad He's doing better. Hope he doesn't react to fiberglass the way capnhowdy does. Makes me glad I have skin.

Saknussem 08-26-2005 07:10 PM

I can see that little guy at Turtle School Show and Tell--

This is my fiberglass stomach, and this is my pancreas, and this is my gall bladder, oh wait, I don't have one of those anymore. . .

Perry Winkle 08-26-2005 07:42 PM

There's a great description of how they are removed in humans in one of the Baroque Cycle books. I can't remember which book but it is satisfyingly detailed.

wolf 08-27-2005 12:17 AM

The turtle had a somewhat different procedure. Urinary bladder, not gall.

I don't know if I want to read a detailed description of gall bladder surgery. I mean, I've had it done, and did research it beforehand, as well as having seem my secretary's videotape of her surgery. But sometimes well-written descriptions are so much more vivid. And icky.

Perry Winkle 08-27-2005 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf
The turtle had a somewhat different procedure. Urinary bladder, not gall.

I don't know if I want to read a detailed description of gall bladder surgery. I mean, I've had it done, and did research it beforehand, as well as having seem my secretary's videotape of her surgery. But sometimes well-written descriptions are so much more vivid. And icky.

Hmm, I thought the procedure described by Neal Stephenson was a urinary bladder stone removal operation. The stone he describes obstructs the ureters. I believe Hooke makes his incision through the grundle/taint, I'm not sure what the medical term is. I don't know any a&p so I just kind of have to jump to conclusions.

wolf 08-27-2005 10:14 AM

I haven't read the book and the most recent mention of surgery was gall bladder.

Without any further description, I think the stone you're talking about is probably kidney, if it's blocking the ureter.

BigV 08-27-2005 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grant
--- grundle/taint, I'm not sure what the medical term is.---

perineum
a google image search is visually instructive, but likely nsfw.

bargalunan 08-28-2005 01:39 PM

No at all !
It's a race tortoise that was winning too easily and ned handicap !