The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Quality Images and Videos (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Leicester (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9377)

Sundae 10-18-2005 06:54 AM

Leicester

2 Attachment(s)
Some photos of Merry Olde England. I've tried to take ones which I think will show up differences in daily life UK vs US.

Still very new to using my digital camera so please feel free to correct me/ make helpful suggestions.

An answer to the age old question, "Who ate all the pies?" and a pub advertising lunch (with nary a pie in sight)

Sundae 10-18-2005 07:12 AM

2 Attachment(s)
This is a gallery that is ripe for destruction - despite there being many floors only a few shops are open on the ground floor. Most people just use it as a short cut without even noticing what is above them.

Sundae 10-18-2005 07:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Lush (for the fans out there) on the charmingly named Gallowtree Gate.

Trilby 10-18-2005 09:42 AM

Charming! One of the things I like the very BEST about England is that you dare to name something Gallowtree Gate! Post more! And, what's with the pies? What kind of pies? And, how much does a 'stone' weigh in pounds? And, how much alcohol is a 'unit'-? Is that like a shot? An ounce? What?? :)

barefoot serpent 10-18-2005 09:51 AM

It all seems so very pedestrian -- I love it!
*starts packing bags*

Sundae 10-18-2005 10:00 AM

The pies ref is to a football (soccer) chant. Thinking about it, its probably not made it across the Atlantic. Essentially it goes "Who ate all the pies? Who ate all the pies? You fat bastard, you fat bastard, you ate all the pies!" So I was being quite mean actually (oops) I would expect the pies in question to be savoury.

A stone is 14 pounds. I try to remember to translate but sometimes forget!

A unit of alcohol is 10ml of pure alcohol. Its more difficult to translate because from what I remember there are different measures served in the US.
1 pub measure of spirit = 1 unit
1 pub glass wine = 2 units
1 pint lager = 3 units
The recommended intake for a woman per week is 14 units and a man 21 units.

Will look through my pics & find some more for you.

Sundae 10-18-2005 10:07 AM

2 Attachment(s)
One of the oldest buildings in Leicester as seen from my office. The Guildhall is on the right & the Cathedral (under repair) on the left.

The second picture shows the reverse view with a glimpse of my ugly 80's office block.

Sundae 10-18-2005 10:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A bus for you.

Note the advert on the side warning of fines if you don't pay your television licence (currently £126.50 a year, and yes - everyone has to buy one)

Sundae 10-18-2005 10:26 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Leicester Market
Just a couple more then I'll quit.

Sundae 10-18-2005 10:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Last one - another juxtaposition. The rather pretty Turkey Cafe next door to the fairly mundane BK.

I was tempted to crop the belisha beacon out of it, but realised thats probably an interesting foreign object for you!

wolf 10-18-2005 10:46 AM

Belisha Beacon? I assume you mean the yellow ball on top of the black and white pole ... what's it do?

glatt 10-18-2005 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl
A bus for you. Note the advert on the side warning of fines if you don't pay your television licence (currently £126.50 a year, and yes - everyone has to buy one)

Do you have to take a test to get a television licence?

Sundae 10-18-2005 10:56 AM

Belisha beacons stand at either side of a zebra crossing. These are pedestrian crossings without traffic lights - just black & white stripes across the road. Technically pedestrians have right of way, but as I was hit by a car on one in 2002, I'm quite wary now!

Happy Monkey 10-18-2005 11:05 AM

Well, there's right of way, and there's might of way.

melidasaur 10-18-2005 11:37 AM

Loved the pics... I love England soooooooo much! Haven't visted Leicester yet, but I know how to pronounce it correctly :).