The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 09-14-2004, 10:56 PM   #1
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Tabla Drum

I went back to the store where I got my Ashiko drum. I noticed two metal drums, both with torn heads.

One was a bowl shaped drum about 8 inches in diameter. It was rope tensioned through metal rings and the rope passed through holes in the skin to wrap directly around the flesh ring. The drum had a small leather strap. He was asking $5 for it, so I decided it would make a nice light weight drum and bought it. I can see myself re-heading this drum with only some slight difficulty figuring out how the skin is glued to the flesh ring. The owner thought it was some kind of Irish snare drum but there was a sticker on it that said Pakistan. I thought it might be part of the Tabla set but the way the head is configured is too different.

The other drum is a standard aluminum or stainless steel Tabla drum with maybe a 10 inch head. While he is only asking $20 for it, I cannot see myself replacing the torn head and have no idea where to find a place that will do it. Also, I am sure that a head repair would be expensive.

Does anyone know where I can get the head on a Tabla drum repaired and how much it would cost?
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 08:17 PM   #2
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Earth Rhythms in Reading or Conrad Kubiak from Spirit in the Wood night be good places to try. I provided contact info for both in New Used Djembe

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 11:07 AM   #3
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Earth Rhythms in Reading or Conrad Kubiak from Spirit in the Wood night be good places to try. I provided contact info for both in New Used Djembe
Thanks, this is a picture of the 'snare' drum. If you or anyone knows what it is, let me know.
Attached Images

I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 09:37 PM   #4
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I've sent a link to the pictures to a friend who is a drummer.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote