The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 12-20-2005, 03:16 PM   #1
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

John Conyers, Jr. (D-MI) crosses the Rubicon

His name is Congressman John Conyers, Jr., he represents a district in Michigan, and he has balls like church bells.

<a href="http://www.afterdowningstreet.org/downloads/hres635.PDF">H.Res.635</a>:
<i>Creating a select committee to investigate the Administration's intent to go to war before congressional authorization, manipulation of pre-war intelligence, encouraging and countenancing torture, retaliating against critics, and thwarting congressional oversight, and to make recommendations regarding grounds for impeachment.</i>

<a href="http://www.afterdowningstreet.org/downloads/hres636.PDF">H.Res.636</a>:
<i>Censuring President George W. Bush for failing to respond to requests for information concerning allegations that he and others in his Administration misled Congress and the American people regarding the decision to go to war in Iraq, misstated and manipulated intelligence information regarding the justification for the war, countenanced torture and cruel, inhuman, and degrading treatment of persons in Iraq, and permitted inappropriate retaliation against critics of his Administration, for failing to adequately account for specific misstatements he made regarding the war, and for failing to comply with Executive Order 12958.</i>

<a href="http://www.afterdowningstreet.org/downloads/hres637.PDF">H.Res.637</a>: Replace "President George W. Bush" with "Vice President Richard B. Cheney" above.

Obviously, these will pass right after I grow a third head, but GODDAMN.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 06:26 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Cheney says the backlash fom the public will smite Conyers & Company.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:37 PM   #3
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsp
His name is Congressman John Conyers, Jr., he represents a district in Michigan, and he has balls like church bells.

<a href="http://www.afterdowningstreet.org/downloads/hres635.PDF">H.Res.635</a>:
<i>Creating a select committee to investigate the Administration's intent to go to war before congressional authorization, manipulation of pre-war intelligence, encouraging and countenancing torture, retaliating against critics, and thwarting congressional oversight, and to make recommendations regarding grounds for impeachment.</i>

<a href="http://www.afterdowningstreet.org/downloads/hres636.PDF">H.Res.636</a>:
<i>Censuring President George W. Bush for failing to respond to requests for information concerning allegations that he and others in his Administration misled Congress and the American people regarding the decision to go to war in Iraq, misstated and manipulated intelligence information regarding the justification for the war, countenanced torture and cruel, inhuman, and degrading treatment of persons in Iraq, and permitted inappropriate retaliation against critics of his Administration, for failing to adequately account for specific misstatements he made regarding the war, and for failing to comply with Executive Order 12958.</i>

<a href="http://www.afterdowningstreet.org/downloads/hres637.PDF">H.Res.637</a>: Replace "President George W. Bush" with "Vice President Richard B. Cheney" above.

Obviously, these will pass right after I grow a third head, but GODDAMN.

I get email from Mr. Conyers. This is the report.

http://www.afterdowningstreet.org/do...inalreport.pdf

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 09:14 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

273 pages but the summary says;
Quote:
There is a prima facie case that these actions by the President, Vice-President and other members of the Bush Administration violated a number of federal laws, including
(1) Committing a Fraud against the United States;
(2) Making False Statements to Congress;
(3) The War Powers Resolution;
(4) Misuse of Government Funds;
(5) federal laws and international treaties prohibiting torture and cruel, inhuman, and degrading treatment;
(6) federal laws concerning retaliating against witnesses and other individuals; and
(7) federal laws and regulations concerning leaking and other misuse of intelligence.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:49 PM   #5
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I see no blow jobs there.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 11:10 PM   #6
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

HM, damn it, you beat me to it! Geez, the Liberals are acting like there was something sexual involved. Impeachment, bah. That's for *real* crimes like blowjobs.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:54 AM   #7
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

What's keeping the Democratic impeachment-mongers on a leash is the occasional awareness that they, as members of Congress, should be trying to win the war. Dem Congressmen fail to do this at peril to their careers. America is watching the Jackass Party misidentify the enemy -- the myopically partisan among them would require the stimulation of a formal Congressional declaration of war before they would stop their silliness. It's a shame they have to be so damned dim.

That's why I haven't given my vote to a Democratic candidate for many years. I can't remember the last time I voted for a Democratic candidate for any office whatsoever. Looking at the jackass behavior of the national party, I don't see any prospect for a change. There aren't enough Liebermans to counterbalance the Kerrys and Deans.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:00 PM   #8
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla
That's why I haven't given my vote to a Democratic candidate for many years. I can't remember the last time I voted for a Democratic candidate for any office whatsoever. Looking at the jackass behavior of the national party, I don't see any prospect for a change. There aren't enough Liebermans to counterbalance the Kerrys and Deans.
And there aren't enough McCains in the Republican party to counterbalance the DeLays, Pombos, and Cunninghams.

It also goes to the definition of 'winning'. Winning a war by tearing apart the Constituion is at best a pyrrhic victory. Almost every strongman and dictator in the world was given his power in a crisis.

Most people realize that the only reason the War or Iraq is under the umbrella of the 'War on Terrorism' is that the adminstration put it there. No amount of partisan posturing can change that fact.

2006 will be a very interesting election year.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 08:06 AM   #9
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Latest Email from Conyers

Emphasis Mine....

Quote:
Attend Local Events in Support of Resolution to
Investigate Impeachable Offenses

I have taken steps to begin the inquiry into possible impeachable offenses by the Bush Administration, and have called for censure of the President and the Vice President. Now I am asking for your help to stand with me in fighting for accountability.

We need to present a unified front in our call for justice. A coalition of organizations, led by AfterDowningStreet.org, has organized a series of town hall events and house parties this weekend to coordinate grassroots activity in support of efforts to investigate impeachable offenses.

Find an Event in Your Area: http://www.afterdowningstreet.org/event

Become a Citizen Cosponsor: http://www.johnconyers.com/index.asp?Type=SUPERFORMS&SEC={29336D51-F9AE-474D-8C08-8D69902D5149}

On January 7th, there will be over 130 events held across the country, several attended by Democratic Members of Congress. These will provide an opportunity to meet like-minded people from your area and to coordinate efforts to hold this administration accountable for misleading us into war. I will be at the Speak Out on the War Town Hall in Livonia, Michigan.

These events will also set in motion a massive grassroots campaign in support of our efforts. The Progressive Democrats of America have set up a follow-up outreach program on January 9th, called the PDA National Call-In Day, the details of which may be found here.

I also want to let you know about a program I have started called the Citizen Cosponsorship campaign which encourages people to sign onto my legislation calling for the investigation of possible impeachable offenses. We have amassed 30,000 signatures in a week and are seeking to reach 100,000 cosponsors by the time Congress reconvenes at the end of January.

This campaign follows a thorough review of Bush Administration misconduct I undertook which culminated in the publication of a 250-page report. [A copy of the report may be found at Raw Story.com and also at CensureBush.org.]

The latest incidence of the Bush Administration's abuse of power underscores why we must unite to take strong action now. Late last night we learned that NBC is investigating reports that the National Security Agency (NSA) conducted wiretaps of CNN reporter, Christiane Amanpour. While it is very troubling that the NSA would be targeting journalists to uncover terrorist plots, what is especially disconcerting is that Ms. Amanpour's husband served as a senior advisor to the John Kerry presidential campaign and would have been using the same phone that the Agency is alleged to have been wiretapping. The overreach of the NSA in conducting warrantless wiretaps is astounding in its audacity and I have demanded the White House disclose to Congress whether, and to what extent, journalists have been under surveillance and report on additional elements of this program. 21 other Members of Congress joined me in this request, a copy of which may be found on RawStory.com.

These continued constitutional abuses means your voice needs to be heard. Please take the time to get involved. Help send the message to the President, the media, and the American people that we want an end to the war and we are not going to stand for an imperial presidency any longer.
I wish there was a candidate from North Carolina with balls like Conyers. Everyone always says "vote them in to change things" but when your choices are ball-less and suckup, there's not alot you can do beside vote for an opposing party, which isn't particularly responsible, IMO.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 09:06 PM   #10
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Here is an interesting editorial e on Rep. Murtha, McCain, Kerry, and every other veteran who has complained and gotten smeared for disagreeing with the current adminstration. Complain too much, and they question your medals.

Quote:
<nyt_headline version="1.0" type=" ">Purple Heartbreakers </nyt_headline>

<nyt_byline version="1.0" type=" "> </nyt_byline>by JAMES WEBB
Published: January 18, 2006
<nyt_text> </nyt_text>Arlington, Va.

IT should come as no surprise that an arch-conservative Web site is questioning whether Representative John Murtha, the Pennsylvania Democrat who has been critical of the war in Iraq, deserved the combat awards he received in Vietnam.

After all, in recent years extremist Republican operatives have inverted a longstanding principle: that our combat veterans be accorded a place of honor in political circles. This trend began with the ugly insinuations leveled at Senator John McCain during the 2000 Republican primaries and continued with the slurs against Senators Max Cleland and John Kerry, and now Mr. Murtha.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote