The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:57 AM   #1
Nirvana
Back in 10

I need a portable heater

Can anyone tell me which is the best between these 2 and why? Also which will be the most energy efficient? I am having trouble understanding why one has so many more BTUs than the other. I know one has an air purifier but only 5200 BTUs. Both say they heat 1000sq ft

http://www.qualitymatters.com/Produc...Show=TechSpecs

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...ven=Aggregates
Old 10-04-2010, 11:18 AM   #2
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Nirvana,
Those numbers are misleading. Consider that 1500w of electric heat is the same heat output of approximately 15 100watt light bulbs. (Incandescent bulbs convert about 98% of the energy they consume into heat, about 2% into light) Do you think you could heat a 20x25 room with only 15 100 watt light bulbs? No.

Infra red heaters heat the objects in their path, so that value of heating a 1000sf room is assuming you won't be too far from the source to be warmed by it. The trouble is, if you are in the 'shade' of a large horse, you will not receive the benefit of the heat. IR heat is like standing in the sun on a cold day. It is still cold outside, but you are warm as long as you are in the sun, move to the shade and you are cold.

You might want a heater that heats the air, if you are in an enclosed space without constant air changes. A barn is not a good place to try to heat the air, an IR heater would be better as long as you or what you want to be warm is in direct line of sight of the heating elements.

I'd do some more general research on types of heaters and how they work before you plonk down any money.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:41 AM   #3
Cloud

From Consumer Reports:

Our tests of the latest electric space heaters show that they provide more-consistent heat than those we last tested. And while they have the most current safety features, space heaters cause an estimated 21,650 home fires and 1,512 fire-related injuries and deaths each year, according the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). Fuel-fired models carry their own risks.

All of the tested space heaters will comfortably warm a chilly room. But remember, the only way to potentially save money is to use a heater in one room and leave the rest of the house chillier.

When you shop for an electric space heater, look for a label from a recognized testing laboratory such as UL (Underwriters Laboratory), ETL (Intertek), or CSA (Canadian Standards Association) verifying that the heater's construction and performance meet U.S. voluntary safety standards.

Also, fuel-burning space heaters are more dangerous than electrics. We suggest that you consider them only for emergency use--say, during a winter power outage.

Our experts and the NFPA offer the following safety advice:

* Don't leave an electric heater unattended while it's plugged in. Place the heater on a level, flat surface where children and pets can't reach it--and never in a child's room. Use a heater on a tabletop only when specified by the manufacturer. If you place it on furniture, it could fall and be damaged.
* Don't use a space heater in a damp or wet area unless it's designed for outdoor use or in bathrooms. Moisture could damage it.
* Keep combustible materials such as furniture, bedding, and curtains at least three feet from the front of the heater and away from its sides and rear. Don't use a heater near paint, gas cans, or matches. Keep the air intake and outlet clear.
* Run the electric cord on top of area rugs or carpeting so that you can step over it and not abrade it underfoot. Plugging another electrical device into the same outlet or extension cord as the heater could cause overheating.

All of our Recommended models scored at least Very Good for temperature control, safety, noise, and easy of use--something none of the spot-heating radiant models managed. All models have overheat protection; our top picks add a tip-over switch and were easy to control and carry. Most also cost under $100, not $300 or more.

Best choices for under $100:
All use natural convection to heat the room, making them quieter but slower-heating than fan-equipped models. The Honeywell HZ-817 and the Honeywell Low Profile Convection Heater HZ-519 have a room-temperature displa... ExpandMore

Honeywell-HZ-817-Space heater-image
BEST BUY

* Honeywell HZ-817
* Type: Space heaters
* Electric Convection Models
* Price as tested:
* $70

Overall score
This model has been tested by our experts.
See our ratings for this Space heater

Kenwood-Mica Panel HHP1500K-Space heater-image
RECOMMENDED

* Kenwood Mica Panel HHP1500K
* Price as tested:
* $80

Overall score

Soleusair-HM2-15R-32-Space heater-image
RECOMMENDED

* Soleusair HM2-15R-32
* Price as tested:
* $80

Overall score

Honeywell-Low Profile Convection Heater HZ-519-Space heater-image
BEST BUY

* Honeywell Low Profile Convection Heater HZ-519
* Price as tested:
* $60

Overall score

Faster heating at a higher price:
While not exactly cheap, the Vornado offers the best combination of performance and features in this category. It's also relatively light and quiet for a fan-equipped heater was best at temperature control.

Vornado-Vortex Heat TouchStone 500 EH1-0032-28-Space heater-image
RECOMMENDED

* Vornado Vortex Heat TouchStone 500 EH1-0032-28
* Electric Fan-Forced Convection Models
* Price as tested:
* $150

Overall score
Old 10-04-2010, 12:02 PM   #4
Nirvana
Back in 10

Thanks F3 and Cloud I guess I was buying into the hype of the Infrareds. I guess I will buy one of those when I build a personal sauna

I had a vornado vortex it died. It worked well but not as energy efficient as they said. Maybe the newer models will be here is a link to one I was looking at when I posted the question.

http://www.rewci.com/votovohefrsh.html
Old 10-04-2010, 12:07 PM   #5
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

OMG - All that info - Here - just buy these...

Old 10-04-2010, 12:44 PM   #6
Beest
Adapt and Survive

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
Infra red heaters heat the objects in their path, so that value of heating a 1000sf room is assuming you won't be too far from the source to be warmed by it. The trouble is, if you are in the 'shade' of a large horse, you will not receive the benefit of the heat. IR heat is like standing in the sun on a cold day. It is still cold outside, but you are warm as long as you are in the sun, move to the shade and you are cold.
It is my reading that they both use radiant heat internally but have a blower to blow out hot air to fill the space.
Given enough time they should heat the all of the air in the space, not just line of sight areas.
BTU's is a measurable quantity of heat, 'suitable for a 1000 sq ft space' is proably just somebodies guesstimate.
Important might be how strong the fan is, if it's too weak it might not push the warm area around the whole space.
Customer reviews would be good, I checked Amazon, The CZ one is one there, at the same price, but no reviews
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:31 PM   #7
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Similar to what classic listed above, I have an electric jacket that I wear when I ride my motorcycle on cold days, and that keeps me pretty warm. It's also inflatable.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:07 PM   #8
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I use this little jewel right here. Even when it's down in the single digits outside this heater will just run me out of my bedroom, 12 x 14. (playing card for size comparison) I hardly ever turn the thermostat more than halfway.

And just twunny bucks at your friendly neighborhood Dollar General Store.
Attached Images

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:16 PM   #9
glatt

I've got a kerosene space heater. If the power goes out, it can get cold, and it's nice to have options. It's one of those Kero Sun catalyst ones that burns clean and won't kill you in your sleep. I've got a battery powered CO detector that I hook up every time I use the thing though. I'm paranoid.

I was going to link a picture to show what I have, but I see this company stopped selling these heaters in the US because of litigation costs. Space heaters burn houses down all the time, so don't leave one unattended.
Attached Images

glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:44 PM   #10
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
And just twunny bucks at your friendly neighborhood Dollar General Store.
I would be a bit paranoid using a space heater from a dollar store.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:30 PM   #11
Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus View Post
Similar to what classic listed above, I have an electric jacket that I wear when I ride my motorcycle on cold days, and that keeps me pretty warm. It's also inflatable.
for use as a life preserver in case of water crashes?

uh . . .

Old 10-06-2010, 03:11 PM   #12
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
I would be a bit paranoid using a space heater from a dollar store.
Three years, and not a hiccup. Over-heat protected, tip-over protected, no open flames or elements, nothing gets hotter than you can touch, and it runs 24 hrs for less than a dollar. Just cuz it's cheap don't mean it's shitty. But, I take your point. I wouldn't trust my life to something I didn't think was well made, regardless of it being cheap or expensive or in between.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote