The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 01-09-2010, 10:06 AM   #1
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Mrs. Robinson you dirty thing!

How refreshing.

Iris Robinson’s membership of the Democratic Unionist Party has been terminated and she will leave Westminster and her MLA’s position in Stormont due to the shame over her financial dealings with a young lover.

Earlier this week, it was alleged Mr Robinson did not tell the authorities his wife failed to register £50,000 she obtained from two property developers.

He has asked officials at the Office of the First and Deputy First Minister to investigate his conduct and has said he believes he has not done anything wrong.

However, Mr Robinson added he would “not be slow” in taking a decision if the investigation found that he should have acted differently.

The source from the DUP said party officers would meet as early as Monday to decide who would replace Mrs Robinson as MLA in the Northern Ireland Assembly.

However there will not be a by-election for her Westminster Strangford seat as a general election is likely before the formal writ can be moved.

Mrs Robinson announced just after Christmas she was quitting politics because of severe depression.

But it has since emerged Iris had secured £50,000 from two wealthy developers to help her then 19-year-old toyboy set up a restaurant business in south Belfast.

Her husband Peter has been left fighting to clear his name after insisting he did not know of his wife’s irregular financial dealings with her teenage lover.

It is believed Mrs Robinson remains living at their east Belfast home.

Mr Robinson faced calls to resign or consider his future amid heightening unease and deep disquiet within his own ranks.

It is claimed he failed to alert the authorities that Mrs Robinson did not declare her monetary interest in her lover Kirk McCambley’s restaurant - even though she was a member of the council that gave him the go-ahead to open in 2008.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:10 AM   #2
Redux

I had favorable impressions of Mary Robinson, former President of Ireland and UN High Commissioner for Human Rights and thought it was great that Obama gave her the Presidential Medal of Freedom earlier this year.

Here's to you, Mrs (Mary) Robinson.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:15 PM   #3
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Devout-Christian Mrs Robinson embarked on the extramarital affair in the summer of 2008 while making a series of homophobic comments in the media.
Read more
I'm a little confused on how a self proclaimed "Devout Catholic" does this?
Aren't the two diametrically opposed?
Old 01-09-2010, 01:35 PM   #4
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Mrs Robinson?

Old 01-10-2010, 10:46 AM   #5
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Caught my attention because I am married to Mary Robinson.

Not THAT Mary, however.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:14 PM   #6
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
I'm a little confused on how a self proclaimed "Devout Catholic" does this?
Aren't the two diametrically opposed?
I'm not sure, but she'd fit right in with a lot of conservative Republicans.

I'm not saying that every self-aggrandizing moralistic pinhead to hold office in this country is a hypocrite, but there have certainly been some examples lately.

I'm waiting for the shoe to drop on Michele Bachmann.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:59 PM   #7
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Then again, the Glenn Beck Income tax issue may be interesting.