The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 02-23-2009, 07:21 AM   #1
Ibby
erika

Spring Break

I turn 18 on April 5, the last day of spring break. My parents are letting me go on a trip on my own this spring break, if i can present them with a lower-cost plan for a trip somewhere. I'm definitely thinking europe somewhere - I'd love to visit london again, and maybe see a bit of Wales, Scotland, and Ireland in the process?

Any advice? I don't know what my budget is but I know it's not very high...
Old 02-23-2009, 12:50 PM   #2
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

If you want to "do" Britain then investigate how you would get a student railcard. Britain is not very big - it takes about 5 hours to get from London to Edinburgh or Glasgow by rail, and you can goggle out of the window all the time at the quaintness of it all.
I'd put you up for a couple of days if you made it to here (a Scottish island, Glasgow Central rail station to my front door would take you about 4 1/2 hours).
Just sayin' ...
Old 02-23-2009, 01:16 PM   #3
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Best tip - if you are coming to London BUY AN OYSTER CARD.
I am happy to buy you one in advance and mail it to you. Can't afford to put any money on it (sorry) but will stand you the £3 registration and postage. It will half your travel costs in London. And in fact you can no longer jump on and off buses in Central London - no cash fares are accepted, so it's a neccessity.

You are welcome to stay here for a night or longer - in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire. We have a spare room, and my parents are happy with it, but I'm not sure you'd find enough to occupy you for more than a day. Still, if you want a drive into the countryside and a pub lunch - and an overnight stay if neccessary - feel free to ask..

If have said on here ad nauseum - go on a London Walk. They are really worth the money (£7 I think, but even native Londoners learn something). They last 1-2 hours, so they are cheaper per minute than anything including McDonalds.

If you want London meal deals, check the internet. Things like student deals at Yo Sushi or weekday lunches at really decent places are all available. And if not, the dreaded McD's and Burger King will give you cheap recognisable staples. Otherwise, try Greggs (probably not Central London so much) for cheap British fare.

If time is a more expendable quality than money, look at National Express coaches for travel in the UK. They are FAR cheaper than trains. Just factor in the amount of time they will eat up.

My European travel has always been as a working girl, so my budget may have been more than yours. All I can say is research thoroughly. In London for example the art galleries and museums are free. And there are some really amazing ones. Check those in the continental cities you want to visit.

Almost all Italian cities have MUCH cheaper places to eat and stay on the outskirts of the cities. Get your walking legs on and save a fortune. In London, Venice, Rome and Paris, all you have to do to buy cheaper food (and drink, except in London) is walk a few yards off the beaten tourist track. Seriously - learn to say No Thanks in Europe, because they have pushy maitre d's, whose job is to get people in off the streets. Brazen it out and check out the menu - never be persuaded into a meal you can't afford. Won't happen here - we don't do the shameless hustling bit

Book a B&B (bed & breakfast) wherever possible - if you're not in hostels - and fill up as much as you can on breakfast. You can always eat bread, meat, cheese for lunch anywhere in Europe (buy a Swiss Army knife knockoff when you arrive) if you buy separately from bakers/ delis/ cheese shops etc. Not in England sadly, but a cheap option elsewhere. And you can have a dinner standing up in a working man's cafe - and I don't mean a greasy spoon, although huge breakfasts at low prices are here for the seeking.

Oh - Wetherspoons. If you're anywhere in the UK, seek one out. They're on the internet, but if I have a recent book of vouchers when you come, you're welcome to them.

If your budget is strained, and so is your time, don't go to the capitals - except London of course!!! Venice has more to see in a smaller space than Rome, as does Siena. Smaller cities in France have more to offer at a cheaper price than Paris. There are far more accessible cities than Berlin - which was bombed to buggery after all. Barcelona is worth it though, esp if you read Orwell. Scotland is always worth it if you stick to Glasgow and/ or Edinburgh. On a budget and with limited time, research it on the internet and decide. Given the preference I'd take Edinburgh.

Any specific questions, please ask. I've travelled in Britain, France, Germany, Italy and Spain, and while I won't pretend to be an expert I can still give an opinion.

Oh and if you're going to Spain, read Orwell's A Homage to Catalonia (as above) and Laurie Lee's As I Walked Out One Midsummer's Morning. It won't help you fathom Spain as it is now, but will add interesting layers and enrich your mind.

Last edited by Sundae; 02-23-2009 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Correcting a link
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:50 PM   #4
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

If you go to England and like chicken you must eat at Nando's.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:12 PM   #5
jinx
Come on, cat.

Awesome post SG... makes me wish I could spend my spring break there...

I recently hooked up with an old friend (via facebook) who did a home-swap and stayed in London for a month. Apparently the BBC contacted her about using some of the pictures she took for a photo blog she kept while there.... this reminds me to ask her to see those pics..

Yo sushi looks really yummy...
Old 02-23-2009, 04:20 PM   #6
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
London Cellar GTG!
Road, errm Air/Sea trip!
Old 02-24-2009, 06:29 PM   #7
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Yo Sushi rocks. As does Wagamama
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote