The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-04-2012, 12:13 AM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Higher, and Higher, Education

In "The Corporatization of Higher Education", he talks about the direction of the institutions of higher education.
Quote:
In 2003, only two colleges charged more than $40,000 a year for tuition, fees, room, and board. Six years later more than two hundred colleges charged that amount. What happened between 2003 and 2009 was the start of the recession. By driving down endowments and giving tax-starved states a reason to cut back their support for higher education, the recession put new pressure on colleges and universities to raise their price.
~snip~
Quote:
The most visible sign of the corporatization of higher education lies in the commitment that colleges and universities have made to winning the ratings war perpetuated by the kinds of ranking U.S. News and World Report now offers in its annual “Best Colleges” guide. Since its relatively modest debut in 1983, the “Best Colleges” guide has grown in influence. For any number of small colleges, getting traction from the “Best Colleges” guide may be a dream, but for a wide range of middle-tier and upper-tier colleges and universities, winning a good “Best Colleges” ranking is considered so essential to success that it shapes internal policies.
~snip~
Quote:
Food courts, spa-like athletic facilities, and elaborate performing-arts centers are increasingly common on college and university campuses. Whether this emphasis on the amenities is much more than a throwback to such a nineteenth-century Harvard extravagance as having a student room come with extra space for a valet to live is open to debate, but not open to debate is how so many colleges and universities with four-year residential campuses have increased spending for student services that on a percentage basis outpace their increases in academic instruction and financial aid.
~snip~
Quote:
Small wonder, too, that when colleges and universities think of economizing, their target is all too often those who are already their most vulnerable employees—part-time faculty and service workers. The administrators who run our leading colleges and universities are unwilling, the record shows, to downsize themselves. In the 1970s, 67 percent of faculty were tenured or on a tenure track. Today that figure is down to 30 percent, and for those who run higher education such a low number is ideal. Whether they are adjuncts or teaching assistants (TAs), those without the claim to permanent jobs cost less and are easy to get rid of in a period of contraction. Unionization efforts by teaching assistants in graduate programs at public universities throughout the country have rectified some of the worst abuses in what is in essence an academic temp system. But the TA union successes have not changed the fact that, at our largest universities, an academic underclass is at work: the faculty having the greatest amount of contact with individual students are those on the lowest rung of the academic ladder.
I guess it's mirroring life, more money with less in return.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:42 PM   #2
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Thank you for posting this since it brings a lot pieces together for me. Most students blame the rising costs of university on greedy administrations, but it always seemed that the rising cost was just a reaction to a larger problem. I never saw it as a "corporatization" but it makes a lot of sense now and explains everything that I've been seeing.

Universities are turning into all-inclusive resorts, and the bill reflects that change as well.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:24 AM   #3
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

There is great wisdom in SMBC Comics.

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php...&id=2729#comic

The 3rd last panel is a stinger.

Name:  college.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  111.4 KB
Old 11-05-2012, 07:08 AM   #4
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Hey! I took lit. theory~! (no I didn't. I'm lying. Never went NEAR theory)

In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:21 AM   #5
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Your education is what you make of it. I have more respect for someone who reads a thousand books and researches things on their own than for those who attend a pricey college and whine about it.

You can also blame for-profits for corporatization. There is where you can pay a lot of money and get very little in the way of 'education.'

I'm proud of my liberal arts education because I learned so much. Sometimes without even meaning to. Our community colleges have had to improve, and have done so with innovation and vision. No longer are our cc students pooh-poohed for having a lesser education.

Different strokes for different folks: but keep in mind that buyer beware...and huge promises with little return IS noticed and fought against, while walking that tight rope of not messing with free enterprise.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:15 AM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Oh yes, catch 22...
Attached Images

Old 11-13-2012, 12:03 AM   #7
toranokaze
I'm still a jerk

The longer I'm in college the less I see a value to it

It is the ignorance of ignorance that lead to the death of knowledge

The Virgin Mary does not weep for her son, for he is in paradise. She weeps for the world , for we are in suffering.
toranokaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:56 AM   #8
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I sent my son off to college and now he's a rabid Republican and Christian. He even has short hair and his pants stay up.

I'm so ashamed.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote