The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 12-07-2002, 09:38 AM   #1
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Question parental tech support: printer trouble

Ahhh, there's nothing like working in IT. Among other things, it means all your relatives think you can fix all their computer problems and get surprised when you're stumped!

Anyway, the current issue is my dad's printing problems. He's got an HP Pavilion that's a coupla years old, and he had a lot of trouble printing with his HP DJ7something, which is more like 5 or 6 years old. I told him to bite hte bullet and get a new printer, so he came back with an HP 7150 photo printer. (Did I mention my parents live 500 miles away so I can't do this hands on?) Well, guess what, when he tries to install EITHER printer now, the old or new, it hangs up at 84%. He spent some quality time with HP tech support yesterday and tried a bunch of stuff (including updated drivers for his Roxio CD burner software, which the HP woman said could be conflicting), but eventually they ran up the white flag. The only problem with that theory is, oops, the same thing happens (84%) if he tries to install using a package downloaded from HP.

Any suggestions???
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 09:49 AM   #2
perth
Strong Silent Type

i assume hes running 98? you could go into msconfig and disable all startup items for the install, and reenable them afterwards. if hes anything like my parents, has sitting at 65% ram usage or lower on startup. and you might find hes running bonzibuddy or gator or something equally awful. you can help him with that too.

~james
perth is offline   Reply With Quote