The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Relationships
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Relationships People who need people; or, why can't we all just get along?

Old 07-06-2006, 01:05 PM   #1
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Soldier Pen Pals

So, Mrs Elspode decided awhile back that our family needed to "adopt" a soldier in Iraq. After a long wait to be matched up with someone via a web site, we inherited Lyle, a 42 year old tank commander stationed somewhere near Baghdad. We send him little "care packages" with nonperishable candy, goodies and practical items (apparently, baby wipes and eye wash are real big, for obvious reasons) once a month, and a letter every couple of weeks. He sends back his own letters, always handwritten, and often a few pics printed out on a color printer.

Despite the fact that I have become increasingly disenchanted with our efforts in Iraq and the reason we're there (Bush and his scumbag warpigs along with the defacto government, Halliburton), I am filled with admiration and respect for the dedication and spirit of our troops. Lyle is a Guardsman, and had thought his active service over awhile back, I'm sure, but he's there doing his job while his wife and kids wait back home.

The pictures he sends show the bleakest place you can imagine. Even if people *weren't* trying to kill you every minute, it would be someplace you'd never want to be, let alone living in a tent out in it. And that's when your tent doesn't burn down, taking all of your personal possessions with it, as did Lyle's (the fire also claimed his ACU camo field jacket, which we have been trying to source for him, as it is not yet a standard issue, despite being approved for use. Translation: troops have to buy it themselves unless it is deemed essential to their theater of operations and thus provided by the military. If anyone knows where we can buy this item, please let me know).

Lyle's unit commander was killed by an IED a couple of months ago, and he's seen plenty of action, although details are scant, as is the way of the military. Mostly, it is just a thing of human contact, and our family eagerly gathers around when another letter comes from him. Yesterday, a package arrived bearing a letter from Lyle, and something that has touched me in a way I wasn't even sure was still possible...a dusty, sand-infiltrated box containing Old Glory, and a certificate declaring that it had been flown for a day on the flagpole at Lyle's base in Iraq. Clearly, it is a designed program to reward those of us who have gotten involved in the "adopt a soldier" program, but why be cynical? Lyle waited his turn, I'm sure, then got one of the daily flags, reboxed it, and sent it to us. I'd say the program performs its intended task well, because in that one act of gifting, Lyle relit a flame of patriotism within me and my family that was, at best, a low glowing ember.

Its times like these when I realize that I am, in fact, still a patriot and a proud citizen of this country. Despite all the bastarding, lying, fascist politics and the men who foist them upon us; for all the pocket-picking, corrupt and morally bereft leadership in Washington, for the loss of our freedoms and rights...I find that I still have pride in the US. I find that I still live in the greatest country on the face of the Earth. YMMV.

The flag will be flown at my new home to remind me of that every time I return to my family and my life which is being watched over by men and women like Lyle. Beneath it will fly a flag bearing the logo of our coven.
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2006, 01:24 PM   #2
Tse Moana
You're just jealous 'cause the little voices talk to me

A very touching story 'spode, thanks for sharing.
Tse Moana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 01:27 PM   #3
bbro
Insert witty comment here

Thank you for sharing your story - did you try googling for the jacket? I got a couple of hits just by putting in "ACU camo field jacket".

Hope he comes home safe.
bbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 01:30 PM   #4
Elspode

Yes...people *claim* to sell them, but upon closer examination, it is found that they don't actually *have them in stock*. Sigh.

We just paid 18 bucks to go to a gun show last weekend because someone told us that was a good place to find ACU gear. Wrong. I did, however, come away with a tremendous woody over several pieces of armament and optics.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:30 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I was writing to a marine for a while but he's made it back. I posted pictures of his wedding. I should find a new victim..er pen pal .
Old 07-06-2006, 11:03 PM   #6
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Another excellent story, sir. Please check your messages.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:49 AM   #7
Elspode

Messages checked, and I will act upon them this evening, sir. Thanks!
Old 07-07-2006, 09:15 AM   #8
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Elspode, you melt my heart.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 10:42 AM   #9
Elspode

Being a sentimental cynic is *not* an easy task...