The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 03-06-2006, 05:42 AM   #1
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Oscars the new Grammy's??

With Crash winning the Oscar for best movie, they've finally done it--made the Oscar's as stupid as the Grammy's. Sigh. And if Dame Judy Dench doesn't win one pretty soon, she's going to stop showing up. These awards are getting way, waaaay out of touch with real talent. The mere fact that Hustle and Flow was even nominated screams "desperate to be relevent!" What a load of shiite. *disgruntled*
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 11:53 AM   #2
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

My point has been proven. Nobody even cares to fucking comment.

'Nough said.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 01:00 PM   #3
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I liked Crash. I probably would have preferred Capote to win, but Hoffman was the best thing about the movie, and he did win. Munich probably was better than Crash as well, but maybe that's just because I saw it much more recently. Syriana was good, but I'm not sure the jumpy style really worked. I didn't see Brokeback Mountain.

Dame Judy deserves a win, but I never seem to end up seeing any of her movies.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 01:35 PM   #4
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I didn't see any of the major condtenders this year. Actually, I haven't seen many of the major contenders in the last three or four years.

Frankly, I think the Oscars went in the tank when Denzel Washington won over Russell Crowe, who did a damn lot better at acting that year, but failed to fit the agenda stereotype.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 03:27 PM   #5
mrnoodle
bent

All awards ceremonies are circle jerks. Brianna, you should stop caring, too.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:41 PM   #6
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

*The* story this year for the Oscars was politics. Pure politics. Before the show even began, I told Mrs. Elspode that Ang Lee would win for best director, but Brokeback would not win for best film. Why? Bad politics.

Hollywood can justify giving a creative award to the man who directed what has been hailed as high art this year. After all, freedom of expression must be honored. But - Hollywood is not so stupid as to award *the* hot button political topic with Best Picture. That would be rubbing the NeoCons' faces in it, and they want the Right's money just as much as the Left's.

What I find screamingly funny is the fact that they wouldn't give a film about gay cowboys Best Picture, but instead awarded a film about interracial love and violence, something that would have been unthinkable in the political climate of just 40 years ago. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

The other thing that gacked me was the constant industial leaping up and down, pointing its finger at itself for its portrayals of groundbreaking subject matter, all the while telling us how we really need to go see these things on the big screen (something which I feel is a bone thrown to the theaters and distributors...the studios don't give a rip where we watch these movies as long as they get the cash out of 'em, and there's more profit in DVDs because they have to share less of the price).

It was a strange Academy Awards last night. Sort of psychotic, actually. Part emotional sincerity, part corporate gluttony, part stern lecture and part blustering bravado, all wrapped up in a thin, thin layer of absurdity and improbability. Hollywood needs a mood stabilizer en masse.

FWIW, I was pretty pleased with the individual awards. Reese Witherspoon has earned her statuette, perhaps a bit too soon, but she's definitely on a promising career path. I sort of got the impression that George Clooney, while pleased to have won, may not have felt entirely deserving in the face of the strong Gyllenhall performance which opposed him. I found his comment regarding the inherent impossibility of making comparisons between actors in different roles (have everyone dress up in Batsuits and act the same part; that's the way to decide who is best) to be especially valid and prescient. BTW, Jake Gyllenhall is going to be one of our finest actors someday, but his time hasn't arrived yet. PS Hoffman? No-brainer. Anytime an actor can channel a character like he did, they're gonna win (witness the incredibly well-deserved Oscar for Jamie Foxx last year in "Ray" for another example of this phenomenon).

A more deserving Honorary Oscar recipient than Robert Altman would be hard to imagine, and Hollywood did right by him for sure. Dame Judy is way the hell overdue, but with her consistent quality and volume of output, she's going to get one someday. I also want to give a thumbs up for Jon Stewart's hosting job. Best jokes? The line about Cheney shooting Bjork (a reference to her penchant for swan dresses) and the "Martin Scorcese, zero Oscars, Three 6 Mafia, one Oscar" line - one which he would have had to make up on the fly. I've heard several favorable comparisons of Stewart's maiden voyage to the Johnny Carson hosted Oscars today, and I have to agree.

I love movies, but I hate the movie BS. It is difficult to separate the industry and the actors from the performances and the stories. It is the very thing about films, that they get under your skin and inside your head that hooks me, and it is always jarring to see the veil of illusion lifted to reveal the seething, teeming, tabloid reality that squirms beneath.

Last edited by Elspode; 03-06-2006 at 04:02 PM.
Elspode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 07:15 PM   #7
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

The only awards that matter are the technical awards. Because the only people who are allowed to vote on those are people who are actual technical people in that field in the industry. (I was happy with the outcome of the two audio awards, for the record.) For the rest of the awards, "The Academy" is basically anyone who ever-so-remotely or indirectly worked on a film that year. It practically amounts to a cross-section of average people, i.e. a simple popularity contest. I myself was eligible to vote in the Grammys one year, but I didn't bother.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 08:45 PM   #8
glatt

One of the few movies I saw was Crash. It was horrible. A bunch of one dimensional characters being mean to each other.

It deserved no oscars.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 08:57 PM   #9
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

[quote=Elspode]*The* story this year for the Oscars was politics. Pure politics. Before the show even began, I told Mrs. Elspode that Ang Lee would win for best director, but Brokeback would not win for best film. Why? Bad politics.

Quote:
It was a strange Academy Awards last night. Sort of psychotic, actually. Pal sincerity, part corporate gluttony, part stern lecture and part blustering bravado, all wrapped up in a thin, thin layer of absurdity and improbability. Hollywood needs a mood stabilizer en masse.
What Hollywood needs is an enema.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote