The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 07-09-2009, 10:56 PM   #1
monster
I hear them call the tide

Just got back from the funfair

'Twas great

We were a little apprehensive because we suspected that writbands had nearly doubled in price since we last went a few years ago -and they had- and we weren't sure if the kids would actually go on the rides after saying they wanted to, so it would end up being a disappointing waste of a lot of money. But they did go on most of the rides, all found some the loved, and even Thor could reach the pedal on the bumper cars so he could drive his own.

But best of all, the weather was perfect and yet there were NO LINES. All night! we each went on about 20 rides for $20 in a 4 hour period. awesome value. (Well all except beest who hates rides so didn't get a wristband, so he got good value too )

I have no idea why it was so empty -maybe because it was the first day and it didn'd run last year for various reasons and it's a week late than usual, so maybe people just didn't know....?

anyway, much fun had by all. You been to the funfair/carnival/midway this year?

I think we might also go the Michigan's Adverture Themepark/Waterpark this year. I am a roller-coaster freak, but the only themepark i've been to since I moved to the land of the rollerocoaster was in Toronto!
Old 07-10-2009, 09:45 AM   #2
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Our county fair is in August. My best friend in HS would count down the time until the fair: in minutes sometimes. We had some great times!

I did go to the Chicken Festival (Poultry Days) in a town not far from here. That's pretty small: it's mostly about chicken dinners (I know at one point they had sold 500 in an hour and a half) and draft beer. I didn't have any chicken. I did have beer. They did have a surprisingly decent band.

edit: I'd really love to go to King's Island and maybe Cedar Point this year. It's been a long time. KI is much closer, though.

Last edited by Shawnee123; 07-10-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 05:00 AM   #3
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I love fairs - we just don't get any close enough to here any more.
And I'm at the awkward age where I'm too old to go to fairs without children, and too young to die.

If I had a closer (indeed any) relationship with my sister, I'd take hers to Thame Fair. It's not a bad one - they close off the whole High Street. If you go early enough it's full of families. Later it's a drunk-teenage-fest, although of course for many years that was the main reason I went with my friends. They couldn't quite decide whether I was weirdly cool for loving the rides and trying to drag people on them, or just a complete lamer. I think I got away with it because I was still up for a drink and a row and a snog afterwards, and they could all pretend the only reason they went on the rides was because I forced them - yeah, didn't force them to squeal like girls though, did I?

The one I would really like to go back to is Nottingham Goose Fair. My, that's a real fair. They have a Wall of Death and everything. One year we went on this weird ride which just felt like you were in a washing machine. You got churned up and around for an unfeasibly long time. I think the chap running it wanted other people to see it in motion, to encourage them to get on. We just came off a bit bemused, to find the people we were with had wandered away in boredom. Can't say we didn't get our money's worth.

That was the first time I had encountered the phenomenon of mushy peas with mint as a take-away delicacy. Mushy peas in a cup. What will Northerners think of next. And yes, I know Nottingham is the Midlands. But I've never seen it any further South than that. It's the thin end of the wedge. After that, you get up to fruitcake with cheese country.

Last edited by Sundae; 07-11-2009 at 06:10 AM. Reason: Just spelling
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 05:51 AM   #4
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Haven't come across 'mushy peas' in a cup...but all our local fairs serve Black Peas. Ooooh. Haven't had Black Peas for ages. There's nothing quite a like a cup of Black Peas out of a paper cup at a fairground. Mmm.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:28 PM   #5
casimendocina
Professor

Fun fairs

The town where I'm living seems to have fun fairs and circuses constantly passing through. This is the latest one. Suddenly the corner next to the football stadium where the homeless people normally hang out has become full of life and popcorn and fairy floss vendors. For an outsider, it still seems a bit bizarre.
Attached Images

casimendocina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:58 PM   #6
Pensive Monkey
Purveyor of Brilliance

I might take my kids to the county fair this year, now that we live a couple of counties away from my hometown and can walk around in relative anonymity. But I'm really dying to go to Six Flags. I'm also a fan of roller coasters and I have not been to an amusement park in probably 11 years. EVERY SUMMER I say I'm going to go, and every summer I do not.

Supposed to be going next month with my sisters, their spouses, and their children. I am evil and NOT planning to take my offspring. It's very expensive, my oldest gets motion sick, and I just want to enjoy myself. Maybe I'll take them next year when my daughter gets a free pass from school.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:59 PM   #7
Pensive Monkey
Purveyor of Brilliance

Peas? Interesting. I prefer funnel cake, myself.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:07 AM   #8
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pensive Monkey
now that we live a couple of counties away from my hometown and can walk around in relative anonymity.
Don't have to wear that scarlet A on your shirt anymore, huh?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:30 AM   #9
Pensive Monkey
Purveyor of Brilliance

Exactly. More importantly, no small talk. I loathe small talk with every fiber of my being.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:13 AM   #10
Shawnee123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pensive Monkey View Post
Peas? Interesting. I prefer funnel cake, myself.
I'd almost kill for some sugar waffles right about now.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:00 PM   #11
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

We went to Kings Island earlier this summer (Cedar Point was last year - BTW Monster, that's not too far from you guys - they have the BEST roller-coasters!). Went to our county fair twice this week, saw the youth talent contest last night and I hope not to see another interpretive dance ever again. I didn't do any rides...I can't tolerate midway rides anymore. Next weekend, we will be traveling north to Whiting for the PeirogiFest. Lots of good Polish food and beer!
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:01 PM   #12
Shawnee123

I'd almost kill for some pierogies right about now.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:04 PM   #13
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

They're sooooo good! I really miss the region, being in the middle of buttfuck Indiana just sucks in comparison.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:06 PM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Love the rides.
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2009, 07:50 PM   #15
casimendocina
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
I'd almost kill for some pierogies right about now.

'pierogies' ... what are they?
casimendocina is offline   Reply With Quote