The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 06-19-2009, 04:36 PM   #1
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Gary Papa dies

Gary Papa
Quote:
Action News sports director Gary Papa, 54, died today, more than five years after explaining to viewers that he was losing his hair due to prostate cancer.

Mr. Papa, a Buffalo native, joined 6ABC in April 1981 as a weekend sportscaster.

Meteorologist Cecily Tynan described Mr. Papa as a "wonderful person, full of life, full of energy, full of love for his family and his coworkers. We're all going to miss him terribly. . . . He fought the battle as well as he could, but he couldn't fight any longer. He'll stay alive in our hearts and in the viewers' hearts."

Papa died at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. He's survived by his wife Kathy and two sons, Tucker and Nathaniel.

Mr. Papa was the catalyst for Run 4 Your Life, an annual fund-raiser for prostate cancer research on the Ben Franklin Parkway. It will be held, as scheduled, on Sunday.

Funeral arrangements are incomplete.
Quote:
Longtime Philadelphia sportscaster Gary Papa lost his battle with prostate cancer Friday afternoon. He was 54 years old.
Papa first battled prostate cancer in 2004. The Action News' Sports Director revealed that he was battling cancer again last year.

A Facebook group sprung up to help support Papa during his battle. Now many fans are using that area to leave their condolences.

Papa was a native of Upstate New York but became known as one of Philly's biggest sports figures.

A familiar face on Philadelphia TV for nearly three decades, Papa joined Channel 6 in 1981 as a weekend sportscaster, according to his station bio.

“Needless to say, all of us who have worked with Gary and who loved Gary are devastated tonight. Most of us knew this day would have to come eventually, but there’s no way to really prepare. There is an enormous hole in our hearts, almost as enormous as was Gary’s spirit, his devotion to his work, and to all of you," said Action News anchor Jim Gardner.

The entire Philadelphia TV community lost one of our own Friday and our condolences go out to Papa's wife Kathleen and two sons, Tucker and Nathaniel.

NBC 10 sportscaster John Clark was close with Papa and wanted to share these thoughts:

"Gary Papa was one of the best people you could ever meet. We became good friends and he was my mentor.

I remember having a dream of becoming of a sportscaster and thinking if I couldn't be Harry Kalas, I would love to be Gary Papa.

He was my mentor. He helped me realize my dream of becoming a sportscaster.

I approached him while I was in college, trying to get into the business. He looked at my tape and gave me a great critique -- I followed those words.

We actually became fast friends through our love of Seinfeld and sports.

I will always remember Gary for his laugh and the way he always tried to make people smile. He was still a kid at heart, very playful and always joking around. He was the same guy he was on the air and I wanted to be like him.

There will never be another Gary Papa. He made all of our lives better."
I never knew he was ill. Gary was an all around good person.

Oh and FUCK CANCER!
Old 06-20-2009, 10:11 AM   #2
bigw00dy
I'm here once in a while

I actually watched the entire 11pm news broadcast last night. Gary was a great person

Cancer really is crappy
Old 06-21-2009, 09:26 AM   #3
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Silly me, I assumed Gary Papa was doing better just because his hair grew back and he was on TV again.

I hadn't heard how much his cancer had metastasized, so it was a surprise to me when he died.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:27 AM   #4
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

I thought the same thing Blue. I had mentioned it to my mom a few months ago, maybe around the holidays, she told me that they had all but given up hope and he decided to die doing what he could with a little dignity. More respect.