The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 06-21-2007, 11:09 AM   #1
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Humanzee - Proof ( sort of)

Man evolved from apes? Scientific cross breeding? or Urban Legend?

I went into revenge mode looking for proof my xboyfriend is a chimp but stumbled on this incredible find!

Meet Oliver. Whom I also posted in another thread but his subject deserves a thread of his own.

One claim was that a common chimpanzee was impregnated by human sperm in a laboratory in China

The article says that there have been two shows about Oliver.
Two out of three tests confirm that Oliver has 47 chromosomes.
He didn't mate with female chimps and had a liking for human females.

I never really knew what to think about humans evolving from apes. I have read there IS a missing link somewhere along the way and hoped that was from some super smart good looking alien.

I find this intriguing. I hope you guys do too! I thought I'd share my thoughts and findings about it.

Genetic evidence

Human and Chimpanzee chromosomes compared

Looking back millions of years into early human history, current research into human evolution tends to confirm that in some cases, interspecies sexual activity may have been a key part of human evolution. Analysis of human and animal genes in 2006 provides strong evidence that after humans had clearly diverged from apes, interspecies mating none the less occurred regularly enough to change certain genes in the new gene pool:
"A new comparison of the human and chimp genomes suggests that after the two lineages separated, they may have begun interbreeding... A principal finding is that the X chromosomes of humans and chimps appear to have diverged about 1.2 million years more recently than the other chromosomes."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_(chimpanzee)
The research suggests that:
"There were in fact two splits between the human and chimp lineages, with the first being followed by interbreeding between the two populations and then a second split. The suggestion of a hybridization has startled paleoanthropologists, who nonetheless are 'treating the new genetic data serious
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:19 AM   #2
skysidhe

More infor about Oliver.

http://www.rense.com/general67/oliver.htm

"You could send him on chores. He would take the wheelbarrow and empty the hay and straw from the stalls. And when it was time to feed the dogs, he would get the pans, and mix the dog food for me. I'd get it ready and he'd mix it,'' she said. As he grew older, Oliver also acquired habits normally enjoyed only by humans, including a cup of coffee and a nightcap. "This guy, Oliver, he enjoyed sitting down at night and having a drink, and watching television. He'd mix his own. He'd pour a shot of whiskey and put some Seven-Up in there, stir it and drink it,'' she recalled.

Oliver also displayed emotions not normally associated with chimpanzees, including tears of remorse at temporary separations. But ultimately, it was another of Oliver's human like traits that forced the Burgers to sell him. By 1976, when he was approaching sexual maturity, Oliver was turning into a masher.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:24 AM   #3
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I think I dated him.

Last edited by Shawnee123; 09-25-2007 at 11:48 AM.
Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:26 AM   #4
skysidhe

oh wow Shawnee...hehehe...he gets around I know that for suurre!

oh look I found more proof. If nothing else it will give a chuckle or two.

http://www.thelookmachine.com/archiv...ga_of_oli.html

Now if these eye witness accounts arn't enough to sway the dubious Oliver also has a MySpace page and we all know how credible MySpace is.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:27 AM   #5
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

the wiki link says he was a normal chimp.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:31 AM   #6
skysidhe

the wiki links says alot of things ......

On the other hand, the mtDNA D-loop does not carry information regarding the bipedalism trait; Oliver's walking style may yet be inborn and inherited [original research?]. However, the biogeography of the variation in chimpanzee populations makes this rather unlikely; more recent findings on the geography of behavioral diversity in chimpanzees[citation needed] raise the novel possibility that Oliver might have belonged to one or a few more bipedal "tribes" of Common Chimpanzees (which would be scientifically considered morphs and not subspecies).

It is also possible that he manifests a mutation that we have in common with the ancestor of both contemporary chimps and humans

ps..shawnee..thanks for posting that pic. I forgot.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:40 AM   #7
skysidhe

I guess after 7 years of mistreatment and isolation he has been retired to a place in Austin.

Oliver is a chimpanzee – perhaps the most storied of all the Old World simians to achieve celebrity status. As for so many celebs, it was Oliver's appearance that transformed his life, setting him on a course that would, inevitably, bring on his subsequent downfall. More so than his primate brethren, Oliver appeared – and still does (his legend remains fodder for any number of Web sites) – almost human. His head is smaller and less hairy than that of a typical chimp, his nose smaller and more defined, his ears more pointed. Most dramatically, Oliver walks upright, like a man – knees locked, powerful shoulders straight and broad, arms swinging at his sides – instead of hunched forward and using his hands and arms, like most chimps. It was his bipedal walk, combined with Oliver's other humanoid features, that earned him the dubious honor of being dubbed the "Humanzee" – promoted as the "Missing Link" between man and ape.

It appeared that Oliver and his Buckshire brethren had finally received a reprieve when Wallace Swett, founder of Primarily Primates Inc., the now nearly 30-year-old northwest Bexar Co. animal sanctuary, contacted Buckshire to say that the Leon Springs refuge would be willing to provide permanent retirement for the Buckshire 12. In 1996, the chimps were transported to Texas, and Oliver, then in his 30s, walked upright from his transport cage into a larger enclosure at PPI. "He's been dragged around and exploited for over 20 years, but this is his final retirement," Swett told the Express-News, calling Oliver a "national treasure." "He'll never go into research or on exhibit again."

http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrob...d=oid%3A429272

The article goes on to say that in 1996 the place in Austin where the chimps were living was cited for animal cruelty. I can't find any present day information regarding Oliver.

Last edited by skysidhe; 06-21-2007 at 11:42 AM. Reason: add url
Old 06-21-2007, 11:41 AM   #8
Shawnee123

I'd never heard of this before. It's pretty cool.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:43 AM   #9
skysidhe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
I'd never heard of this before. It's pretty cool.
Thanks! I hadn't either and so I've been in rapt attention too!

...got to go...have a good day!
Old 06-21-2007, 11:48 AM   #10
Shawnee123

Hey sky, when you get a chance, check out Mike the Headless Chicken. I've been fascinated with this since I first heard about it.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:02 PM   #11
skysidhe

I've heard of that but I can't be persuaded to believe a headless chicken can live. Can you?

I'ts much easier to imagine an evolutionary missing link. I mean we were brought up in school being taught evolution so it's much closer to our psychie.

well they do say chickens are the dumbest animal so maybe they don't really need their head?? :P
Old 06-21-2007, 12:07 PM   #12
Shawnee123

I believe it about Mike; I've read a lot about him and don't think it is/was a hoax.

I believe in a missing link, too.

But then, I believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and the indomitable power of the human spirit.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:49 AM   #13
skysidhe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
I
But then, I believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and the indomitable power of the human spirit.
I do too.

...gotta find the beauty and magic....
Old 06-22-2007, 03:50 PM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe View Post
Analysis of human and animal genes in 2006 provides strong evidence that after humans had clearly diverged from apes, interspecies mating none the less occurred regularly enough to change certain genes in the new gene pool:
"A new comparison of the human and chimp genomes suggests that after the two lineages separated, they may have begun interbreeding... A principal finding is that the X chromosomes of humans and chimps appear to have diverged about 1.2 million years more recently than the other chromosomes."
It's also a possibility the first split was unsuccessful and died out like the Neanderthals and the second successful like Cro-Magnon.
There is always a bunch of ways to interpret scant data.

It should be easy enough to prove whether chimp and human eggs/sperm can be mated, in the lab. When Oliver dies they should dissect him and see if the bone/muscle structure is more humanoid, causing his bipedal gait, or he was just mimicking humans so much it became habit.

Mike was not a hoax. He toured the country for a number on months before choking to death on his food. The reason he survived is they didn't cut off his head at the neck as is the normal procedure. They accidentally left part of the head including the the part of the brain that regulates auto functions like breathing.
He wasn't decapitated, just mostly decapitated.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 06-23-2007 at 02:04 PM. Reason: magnon not mignon.... duh
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 12:40 PM   #15
skysidhe

Interesting.

It would be easy to prove if chimp/human eggs can be mated! I doubt the petri (?) dish has been left empty on that question. What good scientist would not try it?

I read that Oliver was probably a morph but that dosn't answer it for me.

http://paranormal.about.com/library/.../aa022800a.htm