The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 10-06-2006, 01:47 PM   #1
marichiko

The Police in my town are Really stupid

Yesterday afternoon, I was driving back to my small town after doing some errands in the bustling metropolis of Cortez, 16 miles away. As I neared home, there were big flashing signs warning of a narcotics search 3/4 mile ahead. Another sign warned that they would be using dogs. Well, I didn't care since I don't use narcotics, much less keep them in my car. In between the first sign and the narcotics checkpoint, there are two minor roads leading off the highway. I took the second one, since it is the only way I can get to my apartment, expecting that the police would have blocked that one, too. Nope, not a cop to be seen. Now why go to all the trouble of setting up a "narcotics check point", warning people about it in advance, and allowing them the choice of turning off onto not one, but two side roads to avoid the entire circus?

I feel so much safer from evil pot smokers, now!

Last edited by marichiko; 10-06-2006 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:53 PM   #2
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Maybe they were on drugs...
Old 10-06-2006, 03:12 PM   #3
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
Now why go to all the trouble of setting up a "narcots check point", warning people about it in advance, and allowing them the choice of turning off onto not one, but two side roads to avoid the entire circus?
Because appearances are more important than results. Election year, and now someone can claim that they're "doing something about illegal drugs". Think of it as partisan politicking with *your* money.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:20 PM   #4
Hoof Hearted
...you smell something?

That does seem pretty stupid.
In my county (I've worked for the Sheriff Office as a secretary) the road stops (alcohol/drug/license checks) are done in areas where there is no visible forewarning and no streets to turn off of, PLUS, extra officers are assigned specifically to go after and stop vehicles that try to turn off, pull u-eys or double back and get away.
hh
Old 10-06-2006, 04:17 PM   #5
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclefrance
Maybe they were on drugs...
That's actually quite possible since there was a big local scandal about a month ago when it turned out that one of the local cops was a regular user of meth. Maybe HE set up the checkpoint and warning signs.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:20 PM   #6
mrnoodle
bent

Lemme know when the cops are gone so I can collect my signs, willya?
Old 10-06-2006, 09:29 PM   #7
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Your cops aren't stupid, just hoping that the people they are trying to catch are. Also, you can never go wrong underestimating the intelligence of the voting public.

Visible enforcement is not an unusual thing with an election in the near future.

Expect speed traps and a DUI checkpoint or two as well.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 10:21 PM   #8
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Your cops aren't stupid, just hoping that the people they are trying to catch are. Also, you can never go wrong underestimating the intelligence of the voting public.
see this post

Touche wolf.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:49 PM   #9
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf

Visible enforcement is not an unusual thing with an election in the near future.

Expect speed traps and a DUI checkpoint or two as well.
Oh, there's plenty of dumb criminals out there, but if I had a car full of narcotics, my first instinct would be to check out the side roads. That's just self preservation. We have tons of speed traps out here all the time. The cops like to make money on the tourists going to Mesa Verde. They know that the tourist will probably just pay the ticket rather than drive back 400 miles plus to fight it in the local traffic court. New Mexico, about 20 miles to the south, has DUI checkpoints everywhere, all the time, especially on weekends. The Hispanic community down there seems very fond of getting blitzed and then stepping into their low riders to have enormous collisions that kill 4 or 5 people in just one accident.

I suspect the narcotics check point was an election thing about looking good, as others have mentioned. It was set up on the main highway through the region, and I'm sure lots of people saw it or were stopped by it.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:47 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Maybe it was a trick to get the real perps to turn off. Then they can show the hidden camera shots to the judge so he'll sign a warrant for the undercover investigation and 3am raid.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:50 PM   #11
rkzenrage

Think about what they pay them... then what the standards must be based on that. Now, how smart must they be?
I have spent a lot of time with cops and potential cops, long story. Most are not very bright and almost incapable of thinking for themselves.
It is terrifying.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:14 PM   #12
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage
Think about what they pay them... then what the standards must be based on that. Now, how smart must they be?
I have spent a lot of time with cops and potential cops, long story. Most are not very bright and almost incapable of thinking for themselves.
It is terrifying.
Yes but their collective numbness can be to your advantage occasionally, Iv'e often pretended to be dumber than them and avoided all manner of tickets.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:41 PM   #13
Crimson Ghost
Larger than life and twice as ugly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage
It is terrifying.
I'm not saying all police are less than bright, but...

Rolled up on a suicide scene.
Depressed guy, alcohol, shotgun, you get the idea.
The first officer on scene says to me -
Wait for it...

"Do ya think he's dead?"

I looked this "officer" right in the eye, and I swear I saw the inside of his cranium.

"You'll be a detective real soon with those investigative skills."
He puffed out his chest, all proud of himself.
Reminded me of the Warner Brothers cartoon with the baby vulture.

I have no knowledge of the events which you are describing, and if I did have knowledge of them,
I would be unable to discuss them with you now or at any future period.

Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
Crimson Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 10:53 PM   #14
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

Some of the cops in my town have been known for going to the HS parties and getting wasted or throwing big bashes themselves...We've only had about 4 or 5 paid police in the past years, so everyone in town knew them.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:53 PM   #15
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Maybe it was a trick to get the real perps to turn off. Then they can show the hidden camera shots to the judge so he'll sign a warrant for the undercover investigation and 3am raid.
Well, they're going to be pretty busy, raiding about a third of the houses in my town, then. The side road I turned off on is the way most locals (including the mayor) get to their homes.