The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-04-2010, 01:29 PM   #1
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Ancestry by DNA analysis.

My mother died last summer and a few of her papers have come to light. As a consequence, I've started to take an interest in family history research but, as yet, haven't pursued the matter with any dedication.
DNA analysis seems to be the 'next big thing' but of course it won't tell you if Obadiah Ephraim Carruthers was sentenced to seven years transportation to the colonies (with forfeiture of livestock) for the 18th Century equivalent of parking on a double yellow line.

Being the UK, it's ruinously expensive, but I just wondered if anyone here had taken the plunge and it considered worthwhile?
Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:04 PM   #2
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

My aunt has been tracing our ancestry, but I don't think she's tried anything like that.

I got an invite recently to be at the National Archives for a series of workshops all tied into Who Do You Think You Are? A few of the guest stars will be there. Alas I can't attend. Might have been fun though.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:17 PM   #3
glatt

I haven't done it, but here is a sample of what you can find out using the National Geographic test for $100. It seems to be a little light on the information. I think we all already know if our ancestors are European or Asian or whatever.

I'd do it if it was a lot cheaper.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:25 PM   #4
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Thanks both.

My mother's family are from the NE coastal area of England so I harbour a notion that I might be a Viking.
However, whilst I am tall enough to be a Viking, I'm only half as wide and there's a conspicuous lack of a blonde blue eyed maiden on my arm, so 'Early English Peasant' it is then

Carruthers.

PS It has to be said that I cut a dashing figure in a horned helmet.

Last edited by Carruthers; 02-04-2010 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Spilling and a Freudian slip
Old 02-04-2010, 11:52 PM   #5
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

I AM a Viking.

Valhalla, I am Comiiiiiiiiiiiii-iiiiiiiing!!

lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:08 AM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Carruthers, if they didn't leave you any money, what difference does it make. The money would be better spent acquiring that blonde blue eyed maiden, and trust me, she'll take it all.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:42 AM   #7
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers View Post
Thanks both.

My mother's family are from the NE coastal area of England so I harbour a notion that I might be a Viking.
However, whilst I am tall enough to be a Viking, I'm only half as wide and there's a conspicuous lack of a blonde blue eyed maiden on my arm, so 'Early English Peasant' it is then

Carruthers.

PS It has to be said that I cut a dashing figure in a horned helmet.
The BBC had a programme called Blood of the Vikings a couple of years ago, trying to trace Norse blood in people in the UK. The highest concentrations were definitely on the Scottish Isles. I seem to remember some people they tested in the North East were disappointed that their ability to walk around half-dressed in January did not in fact come from Viking ancestry

It is fascinating of course. If you decide to go for it, or find a cheaper option please do share your results.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:18 AM   #8
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Carruthers, if they didn't leave you any money, what difference does it make?
A good point Bruce. I am........... how can I put it................ ah, yes: Professionally Impoverished
Old 02-05-2010, 09:37 AM   #9
SamIam

An aunt used to claim that I could be a member of the DAR (daughters of the American revolution). I think this may be possible because most of my family can be traced back quite some distance. However, we did not come on the Mayflower. Most of us were indentured servants or outright undesirables sentenced to the penal colonies in Georgia. When the Revolution came along, some of us fought in it because we liked a good brawl. After that we headed to Kentucky and the Carolinas and became moonshiners. No vikings need apply.

PS We are Scotch/Irish/Welsh. You can tell by our last names and I suppose by our DNA.

Last edited by SamIam; 02-05-2010 at 09:45 AM.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:41 AM   #10
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Sundae..........

Quote:
...........some people they tested in the North East were disappointed that their ability to walk around half-dressed in January did not in fact come from Viking ancestry.

One branch of the family (dad's mother's side) seem to have shuffled around the Home Counties for a century or so before pitching camp in Aylesbury at the back end of the 19th Century. So the case for me belonging to the Early English Peasantry becomes stronger by the day.
Damn. Another illusion shattered. That's four this week already.

I suppose as we get older we become a bit duller, but I still have a great sense of curiosity about what makes things tick and where we stand in the grand scheme of things. That's why I was looking into the business of DNA analysis. I don't have delusions of grandeur (honest!), I would just like to know how and where I fit into things.

Coincidentally, today's Daily Telegraph (other newspapers are available) carried an article about a DNA test that was carried out on Charles Darwin's grandson. It makes interesting reading. I'm not sure what the Cellar's rules are about the copying and pasting of copyrighted material so I'll just post a link.

Daily Telegraph

Carruthers

PS As previously mentioned it seems a ruinously expensive exercise, but I suppose there will be economies of scale and eventually the price will come down. Well, I can dream...........
Old 02-05-2010, 09:54 AM   #11
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

most of us are probably descendants of Ghengis Kahn. Deal with it.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:04 AM   #12
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
most of us are probably descendants of Ghengis Kahn. Deal with it.
Come on Genghis! Just one more and we can have a horde!

Actually, it would probably explain why I've had the misfortune to meet so many deeply unpleasant people.

(Goes off to contemplate a life of hermitage)
Old 02-05-2010, 11:49 AM   #13
Scriveyn
amnesic-confabulatory opsimath

BTW have you come across http://www.nationaltrustnames.org.uk/Surnames.aspx ?
Attached Images

Scriveyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:08 PM   #14
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Thanks for that Scriveyn.

I hadn't seen that site before. I've just had a quick go with names from various branches of the family (mostly deceased!) and there's a remarkable amount of info there.

Thanks again.

Carruthers
Old 02-05-2010, 12:43 PM   #15
Scriveyn
amnesic-confabulatory opsimath

Just a couple more

Quote:
Carruthers is a placeneme in Dumfriesshire which is said to derive from the Brittonic word "caer" meaning "fort" (as in Caerlaverock castle, not far away) and the personal name Ruther (originally Rhythr or Rydderch). It has been suggested that this comes from King Roderc mentioned by St Adamnan. Locally, the name was pronounced "Cridders". ....
http://www.rampantscotland.com/clans...carruthers.htm
"Cridders"? Oh dear.

Quote:
First found in Dumfriesshire where they were seated from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D. ...

http://www.houseofnames.com/xq/asp.c...-coat-arms.htm
Hm, that sounds better ...

Quote:
Classification and Origin of CARRUTHERS

Region of origin British Isles
Country of origin Scotland
Language of origin Gaelic
Ethnic origin Celtic
Religious origin Christian

http://www.britishsurnames.co.uk/sur...RUTHERS/origin
Scriveyn is offline   Reply With Quote