The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 07-28-2003, 08:42 PM   #1
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

The Road to the Hereafter

It has finally happened. I've run out of superlatives. I don't have a sufficient grasp of the English language to keep posting these little post-mortem tributes to the pop-culture icons of my youth. I thought I was pretty much tapped out when I found myself having to really stretch to adequately express my admiration after the passing of Katharine Hepburn - but today, a true giant has crossed over, so I'm going to give it the good old should-have-gone-to-college try.

Bob Hope was without a doubt among the very, very few performers who managed to reach the most rarified heights of the American entertainment firmament, and he was certainly amongst those most worthy of that adulation. No one was ever funnier, no one was ever more versatile, more human, more patriotic or more dedicated. He sang, he danced, he split our sides. The profile of his nose was more famous than Hitchcock's formidably familiar TV-logo profile. His participation in any commercial promotion ensured that the commodity being hawked would become synonymous with his winning demeanor. His variety shows were among the most reliable draws on television for decades. The "Road" pictures he made with the equally grand Bing Crosby were often hysterical, and always diverting. He hosted the Academy Awards for so long that it was almost unthinkable when finally Bob stepped aside to be replaced. Who could possibly be as funny as he when lamenting the lack of an Oscar? It is because of Bob Hope that award shows ever became watchable in the first place. And, above all of that, there have also been damn few men who could lampoon fifty years worth of sitting presidents on one day, then play golf with them the next.

Lacking enough verbal skill to go on stating the obvious, I will simply relate this brief memory:

I was fortunate enough to have been able to see Bob Hope in person some twenty years back at a benefit show in Kemper Arena (which featured the sublime Patti Page as the opening act). Bob acted as both host and main act. He did an hour of classic Hope comedy, and filled the arena with laughs, moans, groans and absolute gales of applause. He also did a couple of songs with Ms. Page. It was, I think, the longest standing ovation I had ever seen anyone receive when the evening ended. The adulation was obviously directed at Bob, but he shared it more than graciously with Ms. Page. The whole time I sat through this incredibly special show, I remember thinking how long Bob had been around, how much he had given to his craft and his country. I thought about how often I'd stayed up late watching one of his silly movies, laughing my ass off. I thought of the USO shows he'd performed across four decades, the countless holiday specials, the endless golf jokes. Most of all, I remember thinking how truly, deeply grateful I was to have been able, for a short while and from a considerable distance, to occupy the same space as a true, undisputed legend of the performing arts.

Bob made countless people laugh and forget their troubles, if only for a short while. I believe that is a worthwhile calling, and a life well-spent. And yes, I *will* end this with an incredibly obvious cliche...

Bob - thanks for the memories.
Old 07-28-2003, 09:19 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Elspode, you done good.
I saw Bob Hope in a 5000 seat arena in 1960. Unbelievable but so very, very human.
Old 07-29-2003, 05:24 PM   #3
warch
lurkin old school

And he was so darn cute. You can keep all your greek gods, gimme a sweet, funny guy.
Last night on TV there were several bios running. I was chuckling right along. Favorite bit:
It was film of the radio show during WWII and servicemen had written in a request to hear Lana Turner (I think, or some starlet) fry them a steak on the air. It was great. 3" Porterhouse with an armed guard. There were some other great TV skit scenes with deadpan Jack Benny, so funny.
What a great, long life.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 08:52 PM   #4
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I think kids in my brother's generation (1981-present) might find him corny, but the man was just funny. He wasn't raunchy or brash or anything like that--he was just funny.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 05:28 AM   #5
Griff
still says videotape

I remember seeing one gag he did with Crosby where the natives had thrown them in a cage with a gorilla. Using superior human intellect, Hope decides to enlist the help of "scientific" wrestling and gains control of the ape using the "step over toe hold". He's looking very self satisfied astride the ape holding his toe while the ape is doing the pro wrestling guy on the bottom routine. Naturally the ape throws him and immediately puts Bob in the same scientific step over toe hold.
Old 07-31-2003, 10:09 AM   #6
headsplice
Relaxed

NPR had a great Hope retrospective on the other day. I've never really seen much of his stuff (my father did introduce me to the Marx Brothers, though, also good stuff) and I was laughing out loud at Hope's monologues. If only late night could be as funny as he was. I feel like I missed something very, very special. *sniff*
Old 07-31-2003, 10:26 AM   #7
warch
lurkin old school

One of the Hope bios that I caught made the link between Hope's quick delivery and nervous asides and Woody Allen's style. I'd never made that connection and you could definitely see the influence in the old Hope footage.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 09:32 PM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

EVERYBODY stole or at least learned from Hope.