The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Archives > Juju's Place
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Juju's Place Introspection, Lucidity, and Epiphanies

Old 07-14-2002, 01:48 AM   #1
juju
no one of consequence

07/14/02: Know Thine Enemy

I was watching NBC Nightly News yesterday, and they were saying that Al-Qaeda sleeper cells may be recruiting in prisons and in the ghettos. A certain amount of the story is probably just hype, but I still think it's kinda funny.

They drew this interesting comparison between youths in the ghetto and middle-eastern terrorists. Both groups are poor. Both groups have a lot of anger. Both groups have starving families. And both groups oftentimes find themselves with nowhere to turn. And now, one group is recruiting from the other! (::gasp::)!

I don't really think we have very much to worry about on that front. But I still think the comparision is interesting. It puts a face on the actions. Most people don't agree with gang violence, but they understand it. They understand what can drive a person to it. Sometimes it seems like the only way a person can feel powerful when they're powerless. Add to that someone who keeps trying to steal your land, and perhaps people can understand Al-Qaeda members a bit more. Not condone them by any means, but at least understand them.

Most people seem pretty hell-bent on dehumanizing Al-Qaeda. But, in fact, they are human. Real things motivate them. One should, after all, Know Thine Enemy, right?
Old 07-14-2002, 09:47 AM   #2
Griff
still says videotape

yep
Old 07-14-2002, 10:04 AM   #3
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Do keep separate the Palestinian matter and Al Queda. Nobody is trying to steal Al Queda's land, except to recover Afghanistan which they took over a couple of years ago. There were no Palestinians amongst the 19 hijackers and UBL only mentioned them in passing after he figured it might be to his benefit and well after 9/11.
Old 07-14-2002, 10:30 AM   #4
juju
no one of consequence

Ah yes.. you're quite right. :)
Old 07-14-2002, 02:12 PM   #5
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

I understand Al Queda perfectly.

They're opportunistic thugs, who were out of a job when the Soviets left Afghanistan. When Saudi Arabia snubbed bin Laden's offer to protect them against the Iraquis (such a deal!), their goal suddenly became kicking the competition out of Saudi. Since that wasn't a particularly popular position, they suddenly became friends of the downtrodden Palestinian masses. There's nothing more dangerous than an out-of-work mercenary, except possibly one who thinks he's an idealist.

The single force most responsible for the dehumanized perception of Al Queda is Al Queda.