The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-06-2003, 12:21 PM   #1
That Guy
He who reads, sometimes writes.

Hazy propoganda

I know this has been touched down on a few times here and there around the Cellar, but I still have a few arguments about the legalization and general acceptance of marijuana and usage:

I've noticed the ads that are in place by "Partnership for a Drug-free America" and the like show it to be an extremely dangerous substance. A commercial I saw last night showed a kid grieving for his brother that was killed when someone under the influence (of pot) caused an accident. The narrator then announces that the driver of the vehicle was the older brother. And the end of the spot asks, "Still think marijuana is harmless?"

The problem I have with this is that any substance can affect your driving abilities - be it weed, alcohol, or even a bad hamburger from Jack. Even driving while distracted or sleepy could have influenced this death.

This type of campaign was also depicted in an ad showing a doctor in surgery that couldn't control his laughter, of concentrate on his operation. Who can say that this doesn't already happen with alcohol or readily-available (to doctors and the like) pharmeceutical samples? Why can't the anti-NORML people come up with something substantial to back their claims that this is a wasteful substance; that we should heed the warning that it melts your brain and doesn't let you follow a fairly fulfilled life?

My second point is that these ads show people "funding terrorist organizations" through the purchase of illegal substances, namely ganj. I never saw a report that every (or any for that matter) terrorist got a weekly paycheck from the cartels. I've heard that these people might have gotten some funding through those means, but I heard it from the same people that told me the gub'ment funded the Viet Nam war by selling crack in Harlem.

I think South Park approached and dealt with the issue quite well (leave it to the cartoons to clarify difficult problems). The parents on the show had hired a company to portray a "future self" that lived like a bum because he tried his first wacky-tobacky as a kid. Of course Stan (I believe it was him - correct me if not) figures out what is going on, and confronts his parents with the evidence. They can't 'fess up to the lies, but Stan explains that they have no reason to fear what may happen if they're honest with him. He orates that they can't tell him that he'll be a bum if he smokes, or that the weed that he buys will fund terrorist organizations, but that it's entirely possible he'll be content with doing nothing, and thus not living up to his fullest potential. That Stan's quite a philosopher.

Any comments?

<font size=-2>Aside: for the record, I don't smoke it, or anything - I just don't like being fed crap.</font>
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 12:27 PM   #2
That Guy
He who reads, sometimes writes.

Episode 616 clips for d/l in case anyone wants to catch part of it.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 01:15 PM   #3
Cam
dripping with ignorance

I love Southpark and the Simpsons, mainly becuase, besides both being two of the funniest animated shows ever, they both make such good points about current events. Every South Park episode that has had anything to do with weed(towlie future self) has put it in a bad light while also making fun of those that put so much effort into telling kids not to do it.
Old 02-06-2003, 01:25 PM   #4
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The biggest Bill Hicks moment since the guy died was the Super Bowl, when the ONDCP sandwiched 60 seconds of "weed makes you do dumb things" ads between about 12 minutes of BEER ads.

Weed may occasionally make you do dumb things, but to be really REALLY dumb you need a government.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 05:21 PM   #5
Uryoces
2nd Covenant, yo

I have no doubt it can be used recreationally, and in a responsible manner, but it kind of pisses me off when my friend, who's a very talented comic book artist but wasted it all on weed and sittin' on his ass doin' nothing as a result, start spouting crap about Carl Sagan smoking weed and George Washington growing hemp.

Guess what, Chuck! You ain't Carl Sagan! You haven't founded any countries lately!

Done now.
Uryoces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 07:19 PM   #6
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Those newer drug commercials are funny as shit to me. And they're so nice and one-sided. And playing on the "patriotic sensibilities" of Americans...too cute!
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote