The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

View Poll Results: Who should the government be able to (temporarily or permanently) sterilize?
The government should never sterilize anyone 4 66.67%
child molesters 0 0%
rapists 0 0%
hard drug users 0 0%
pot smokers 2 33.33%
severely mentally ill, unable to care for themselves or others 0 0%
those with certain severe genetic illnesses that will be passed to decendants 0 0%
'hardened' criminals, use your definition of what hardened means 0 0%
super severe child neglectors that compulsively have children 0 0%
everyone gets sterilized, take intelligence (or other) test for child permit 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-11-2004, 06:39 PM   #1
Slartibartfast
|-0-| <-0-> |-0-|

Should the governement ever sterilize someone?

read

http://cellar.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5771

and answer the poll!
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 06:52 PM   #2
Slartibartfast
|-0-| <-0-> |-0-|

ah shoot, I wanted the voters to be able to check more than one box. Can the powers that be correct that please?
Old 05-11-2004, 07:09 PM   #3
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

While I understand the "slippery slope" argument, I think it's a strong enough line in the sand to say that criminals can get sterilized (length of time to be determined) and not worry about the government being able to easily extend those restrictions to ordinary citizens later on. After all, no one's worried about the government suddenly deciding arbitrarily who can and can not be incarcerated, right? Sterilization becomes just another form of punishment, like a probation of sorts.

I would prefer that the "criminals" in question only be felons and not, say, your average pot smoker, but then again, pot smokers are already doing something illegal, so theoretically they will continue to not get caught. I'm not worried that the punishments could someday be disproportionate to the crime (like permanently sterilizing pot smokers would be) because I think public outrage would hold it back, just like it would today if some senator said "Hey, I think we need to make a life sentence mandatory for marijuana offenses."

The retarded, though, definitely not. Any children they have will be put in foster care anyway, they're not going to be given the chance the average person has to abuse them first.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 07:20 PM   #4
marichiko

Quote:
Originally posted by Clodfobble
After all, no one's worried about the government suddenly deciding arbitrarily who can and can not be incarcerated, right? Sterilization becomes just another form of punishment, like a probation of sorts.

I presume you're joking, right?
Old 05-11-2004, 07:31 PM   #5
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

No, I wasn't. I'm not talking about the Patriot Act, this is a different issue. I'm talking about punishment for criminals in general. Are you suggesting that no one should go to prison ever, because giving the government the ability to incarcerate people is too dangerous since they might someday start incarcerating innocent people, or giving shoplifters life sentences?

It is reasonable to have punishment for criminals in the first place, and as such, I believe that this is a reasonable punishment and do not feel there is a danger that it will be extended to the populace at large.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 07:36 PM   #6
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

That feature of the poll can't be changed once the poll's opened. Post a new thread and I'll move replies here, to there.

(edit: this is done, now.)
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 07:58 PM   #7
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
.....I think public outrage would hold it back, just like it would today if some senator said "Hey, I think we need to make a life sentence mandatory for marijuana offenses."
It's not at all clear to me that such a statement would result in public outrage.

Based on the history of past attempts to decide who is and is not fit to reproduce (see "In the Name of Eugenics" by Daniel Kevles) I'm inclined to say the gummint should stay the hell out of it.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 08:27 PM   #8
Slartibartfast
|-0-| <-0-> |-0-|

Should the governement ever sterilize someone?

read

http://cellar.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5771

and answer the poll! [psa] What's your opinion? we'd like to know! [/psa]
Old 05-11-2004, 08:47 PM   #9
Slartibartfast
|-0-| <-0-> |-0-|

okay, I've reposted the poll here:
http://cellar.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5777

so this thread should implode any minute now.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:53 PM   #10
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

I thought pot smokers sterilize themselves.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 08:54 PM   #11
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

As sensible as it sounds to me in some cases, the government should never sterilize anyone. It reeks of eugenics and the government already has too much control these days.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 08:58 PM   #12
marichiko

Quote:

No, I wasn't. I'm not talking about the Patriot Act, this is a different issue. I'm talking about punishment for criminals in general. Are you suggesting that no one should go to prison ever, because giving the government the ability to incarcerate people is too dangerous since they might someday start incarcerating innocent people, or giving shoplifters life sentences?

It is reasonable to have punishment for criminals in the first place, and as such, I believe that this is a reasonable punishment and do not feel there is a danger that it will be extended to the populace at large.
Quote:
After all, no one's worried about the government suddenly deciding arbitrarily who can and can not be incarcerated, right? Sterilization becomes just another form of punishment, like a probation of sorts.
I don't think people who commit crimes should just be able to waltz off with nary a consequence, but I am deeply concerned about the government arbitrarily deciding to do anything, never mind incarcerating people. In fact the government already does incarcerate innocent people. They're called Muslims, but who cares about them, right?

I have seen little in current events to leave me with a warm fuzzy feeling regarding the government's respect for anybody's rights. The founding fathers shared my pessimistic view of those in authority and gave us the right to keep and bear arms. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if the government decided to incarcerate anybody who got in its way which is why I'm hanging on to my Dad's old semi-automatic.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:01 PM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Sterilize those pot smokers before they produce ....shudder ........hippies!
Old 05-11-2004, 09:02 PM   #14
marichiko

NO:p
Old 05-11-2004, 09:17 PM   #15
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

(threads merged)
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote