The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 11-30-2005, 06:08 PM   #1
be-bop
Operations Operative

Jerry Garcia's Toilet

I can only ask why would anyone want one?????http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4484640.stm
be-bop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 07:41 PM   #2
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by be-bop
I can only ask why would anyone want one?????
Well, its the best place I can think of to keep his CDs.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:04 PM   #3
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie
Meee Owwww! Baby, Mee Oww!
Old 11-30-2005, 09:19 PM   #4
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Tsk! Jerry was an artist, baby. One of the greats! Ok, sure, he was out of his skull on Smack most of the time, but he WAS a great artist. Kids these days...
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 09:20 PM   #5
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie
based on what i know about your taste in music, that doesn't really surprise me all that much. it does, however, make me sad that you are too busy listening to electric trance dance mixes that are indistinguishable from each other, and fail to appreciate what his music represents. very sad indeed.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 05:42 AM   #6
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Point taken.

But don't be surprised if I don't rush to defend the artistic merit of trance. Matter of fact, I wouldn't even categorize trance as music any more than I would categorize abstract painting as art. I wouldn't put trance "artists" in the same league as musicians - they are more tactical than artistic. Nothing against abstract painters, trance artists or those who enjoy either but the fact that they both use the same medium as their artistic brethren does not confer brotherhood in the artistic community upon them.

Music and painting that rise to the level of art are expressions - there is a message, a medium and an audience. Music and art are experienced. Abstract painting and trance produce an effect - tools devoid of content or message (and, therefore artistic merit).

Over the last few years, I've just gotten to the point where I am so bored with my 400 or so LPs and CDs from 1968 through the mid 90s (which includes no electronica and one Dead album) that I can't listen to them anymore. That coupled with the creativity vacuum in the popular music industry over the last ten or so years have limited my interests to a pretty narrow band of music. Even if its not music.

So while Jerry Garcia does make my skin crawl (no offense) you might be surprised to know that I have a lot more respect for him as an artist than I do for the people cranking out the stuff I listen to now.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:52 AM   #7
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Jerry & the Dead were rebellious pioneers in the music industry that transformed music into what it is today. Of course they werent the only ones who molded the music change, as there were many others with ground breaking talent who did not share the glittering (and tragic) story of The Dead.
I, for one am not greatful Jerry's Dead. I like to imagine what they would sound like today, had Captain Trip not died.

They're album covers alone are a gallery of fine art IMO. I say we dig him up and plug him in.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:41 AM   #8
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Oh dear. I really need to learn the difference between Jerry Garcia & Jimmy Hoffa. I don't know why I have them linked in my mind, but it does lead to some bizarre misunderstandings (like explaining to a friend why I found Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia ice-cream a little distasteful)
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 11:25 AM   #9
glatt

cause the ice cream has little bits of ground up Jimmy Hoffa in it? Distasteful is an understatement.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 10:30 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
So while Jerry Garcia does make my skin crawl (no offense) you might be surprised to know that I have a lot more respect for him as an artist than I do for the people cranking out the stuff I listen to now.
Jerry Garcia was definitely an artist along with several others that he shared the stage with.....brilliant solos.
What the "Dead" were not is a cohesive band.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:53 AM   #11
Griff
still says videotape

Of course this is going on while the "band" is starting to fight on-line exchange of the music... Jerry really is gone.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:08 AM   #12
jinx
Come on, cat.

Well, I for one, miss Jerry something awful.... but I don't really want his toilet. Of course I'd love to have one of his guitars, preferably Rosebud, but who wouldn't eh?

And the shows are back up on archive.org. Yay!
Old 12-02-2005, 09:56 AM   #13
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Jerry Garcia was definitely an artist along with several others that he shared the stage with.....brilliant solos.
What the "Dead" were not is a cohesive band.
What makes you say this bruce?
Old 12-02-2005, 11:18 AM   #14
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx
And the shows are back up on archive.org. Yay!
I was thinking about this, and wondering what the fair thing is, I realized I don't have enough information.

When the tapers recorded a show, did they have the option of plugging into the soundboard and taping off that? If they did have that option, were they then allowed to share that soundboard tape, the way the other tapers shared their tapes they made with their microphones?

I understand that the soundboard recordings were the main point of contention. And that seems resonable to me that the Dead be able to control those, but if the ticket holder was allowed to tape from that source, then I don't see how the band can protest now.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 11:55 AM   #15
jinx
Come on, cat.

Yes, tapers could plug in to the soundboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relix News

The Grateful Dead have long been known for their policy of allowing fans to
record their concerts-even allowing Deadhead tapers to plug directly into
the band's mixing console (resulting in the high-quality "soundboard"
recordings)-then disseminate the recordings freely. The band's freewheeling
taping policy has been widely credited for maintaining the band's success,
even during decades of lukewarm attention from critics and the mainstream
commercial music industry. </pre>
"When we're done with it, it's yours"
-Jerry

"Jerry put it the best, as he frequently did, 'Let 'em have it. When we play it, we're done with it."
-Phil
</pre>