The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-13-2008, 10:38 PM   #1
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

It breaks my heart

Some of ya'll already know, but for ya'll who don't:

Day before Halloween, I found a kitten outside my mom's work when I was helping out for a week. I caught it and brought it home, meaning to take her to the shelter the next day. I didn't get around to it of course. She's a real sweetheart and of course I'm in love with her. Keeping her just won't be possible though. It wouldn't be fair to her either. I've checked shelters and all of the humane are by appointment only. I doubt because of her previous stray status she'll be accepted. I can't give her up not knowing her fate. I'm now trying via craigslist to find someone worthy to take her. I know its a slim chance. If anyone is in the area or knows people in the area, please help. This is the ad I put up:

https://post.craigslist.org/manage/918379282/v9bkf

I know this is a bit random, but I am desperate and only want the best for her.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:44 PM   #2
monster
I hear them call the tide

Your ad is perfect and I'm sure it will find her a person. If not, remove that one and create a new one with a higher rehoming fee, but payable to the local animal shelter (you take the check and pass it on, of course) that works round here.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:02 PM   #3
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

Thanks for the advice monnie. The $30 isn't even close to what I've spent on her, its just there to help filter out some of the scum.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:15 PM   #4
monster
I hear them call the tide

exactly, i understood that, hence the increase but donation -not only filter out scum but attract real carers. if you are out of pocket to an extent that you feel, ask for $x care expenses (payable to you0 and $y donation to local humane society. Maybe the amount of a spaying.....

I have found that people value things more if the have to pay more for them. but they are put off my money-grabbers, so raising the rate, but making it not all for you might well increase interest.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:35 PM   #5
Juniper
I know, right?

I'm seriously considering finding a home for "C.C." the calico we took in a couple months ago. She's not getting along at all with one of our other cats, and today I came home to find blood smeared on the wall in my office! ACK! She seems OK but is mostly hiding tonight.

I talked to the kids about it and they're more accepting of this than my hubby. I'd like to find an alternative, but I just don't think there is one. We'll think about it. If I do, I'll also put an ad in Craigslist.

You never know, MTP. We have found homes for three other kitties in the past that we just couldn't keep, and they were nothing special. Well, one of them had no tail, but otherwise they were just ordinary cats. I think people are more interested in cats that someone knows than a random shelter cat - you can tell them about her personality, you know at least her recent history, etc. At least I hope so.

About the one with no tail - I don't know if it was a purebred Manx, a mix or just a fluke (it did have the long back legs that Manx have). We put an ad in the paper, and this guy left a message saying he was oh, so very interested in this cat, wanted to know more about her, was willing to pay upwards of $70 for it (this was 1993) because he wanted to breed her. I blew him off and gave her to someone who wanted a PET. Boy, he was angry. Too damn bad.
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:32 PM   #6
Treasenuak
Multiorgasmic and wrapped in plastic

Poor little Zoon... I can't believe you're having so much trouble homing her. I'll ask around here; I know it's a LONG stretch, but maybe I'll be able to find something for you, MTP
Treasenuak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:54 AM   #7
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

So many animals, so few homes. I find it distressing for the number of unwanted dogs or strays. It breaks my heart too but we can't care for them all.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:17 AM   #8
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Shame you guys aren't around here ... we have "Kitty Kottage," a no-kill cat shelter. A couple of my friends have adopted from them. They're very rigorous in terms of screening new owners.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:22 AM   #9
binky
all hollowed out

my daughter wants another puppy, but we have a dog, 2 cats, 2 fish, a tortoise, and a chicken e-i-e-i-o. My husband tells people we are going to open a petting zoo. All except the fish are rescued in one way or another.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:04 PM   #10
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
So many animals, so few homes. I find it distressing for the number of unwanted dogs or strays. It breaks my heart too but we can't care for them all.
So spay/neuter your damn pets people! It's not rocket surgery...
Old 11-17-2008, 12:40 PM   #11
Treasenuak
Multiorgasmic and wrapped in plastic

Exactly, Jinx. All three of Ted's and my dogs are spayed... there are, in many US states, programs to help with this proceeding if you cannot afford. I know back in North Carolina there was a program where you could take your critter to get fixed with a voucher and it would only cost you $5!
Treasenuak is offline   Reply With Quote