The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 05-30-2008, 10:26 AM   #1
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Mental Health Workers Report FLDS Women Good Mothers

Reports submitted by employees of the Hill County Community Mental Health-Mental Retardation Center and discussed in an article by Roger Croteau on The San Antonio Express-News Website of May 10, 2008, substantiate what those who have had personal association with the FLDS mothers and their children have known all along---these are loving mothers with well-behaved and well-adjusted children.

MHMR workers praised the mothers as "parents of healthy, well-behaved and emotionally normal kids." "These lovely women and children were gracious and kind always," one worker stated. "They tried to cooperate with every request, even when terrified that they were going to be separated from their children. The mothers are incredibly loving and patient with the children. The children were well-socialized and well-behaved and interacted willingly and happily with us."

"The children were sweet and well-mannered upon our arrival," another worker reported. "They obeyed their mothers and appeared to be healthy and well-nourished. They had none of the traditional withdrawal common in abused children."

All nine reports were favorable to the mothers but were highly critical of the state’s Child Protective Services agency (CPS) for removing the children from their community and separating them from their mothers and described many CPS workers as "high-handed, rude, or uncaring." Conditions at the shelter also were sharply criticized.

The rest:

http://www.truthwillprevail.org/inde...tid=1&index=11
Old 05-30-2008, 10:53 AM   #2
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

FLDS?
Old 05-30-2008, 11:05 AM   #3
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Fundamentalist church of Latter Day Saints--Mormons. This has been a big news story around here since it happened. Quick summary is: there's a ranch out in the middle of nowhere in Texas run by a breakoff sect of Mormons who believe in polygamy. Hundreds of people live there in this mostly isolated little religious community. Authorities received a phone call from someone claiming to be a pregnant 16-year-old girl who was being abused by her middle-aged husband. Based on that, Child Protective Services raided the ranch and seized over 400 children, over half of which were under the age of 5, claiming abuse. Of those, they claimed that about 30 young women were victims of statutory rape.

They have now had to admit that half of those women were actually adults (one was as old as 27,) they couldn't prove statutory rape claims on any of them, and that none of the 400+ children showed any evidence of abuse.

They're pretty sure the phone call was a hoax from neighbors, and the whole case has been thrown out.

So basically, for almost 2 months now, hundreds of babies and toddlers have been illegally separated from their mothers, and the state is likely to get the shit sued out of them.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 11:06 AM   #4
Cloud

it's not their mothering that's at issue, really--it's how they got to be mothers in the first place. The State is making the CPS give 'em back, anyhow.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:40 PM   #5
jinx
Come on, cat.

Did you see the pictures of Jeffs with his 12 year old wife? The truth will prevail indeed...
Old 05-30-2008, 12:52 PM   #6
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Oh, I have no doubt there was underage marriage and statutory rape going on. They should have gone in and removed any girl who appeared between the ages of 7 and 25. But they were completely wrong to take hundreds of babies away from middle-aged women and put them in substandard foster care. What's more, by fucking it up like they did, they have very little chance now of convicting the scumbags who were actually guilty.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 09:29 AM   #7
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Seems a rather cackhanded way to go about it. Best of motives I'm sure, but really can't just be blundering in and removing children like that. Apart from anything else, the trauma of that experience would probably outweigh the trauma of the 'abuse' which some of these girls may face but which to them is probably just a normal part of growing up: you reach menarch and you marry an elder male.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 10:15 AM   #8
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

What about the uh erm......fathers? Any mention of that? Why is this so one-sided? What about the family unit as a whole?

*edited*
Old 05-31-2008, 03:18 PM   #9
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

One other thing: the FLDS members have been registering to vote...by the hundreds. In a town of 1800, that spells doom to any elected official who was in on the raid in any way.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:03 PM   #10
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
What about the uh erm......fathers? Any mention of that? Why is this so one-sided? What about the family unit as a whole?

*edited*
From my understanding, having only read about this cult, the moms and kids live in dorms and lie about not knowing who the fathers are so they can collect state aid. (but god forbid the state get all up in their business... just pay for it all and butt out right?)

And what about all the extra boys? The ones who don't get to have multiple wives and dozens of children? They get kicked out of the community... dropped off on a street corner somewhere. I bet foster care sounds pretty darn good to them...

Not to mention all the kids born with Polygamist Down's...
Old 05-31-2008, 04:21 PM   #11
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

I have a feeling they are going to have a fun time mapping the genes in those kids pool. Someone will get to write a scientific article about it and become famous.. "How I cracked the LDS gene pool". I can see it now.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:33 PM   #12
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

lol! I'd be a great mom too if I had to raise a girl for only 8 years.
Or would I?
Old 05-31-2008, 06:07 PM   #13
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Where you getting eight years from Cic? I was under the impression these girls were marrying around 14 or 15.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote