The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Old Acer Aspire One

So, Popdigr came up with this Acer netbook, an Aspire One. I've spent hours, and hours, and hours cleaning the junk programs, and bloatware out of this thing.

I'm now bald.

It's got more worthless games than I've ever seen. It had 11,452 cookies. No kidding, that's the actual number. Seven trojan horses, two trojan horse downloaders.

I got to looking through some of the sites the previous owner visited. Adam4Adam.com stood out, visited quite a few times.

I have to admit the touchpad is taking some getting used to. I didn't know touchpads did all this shit. I finally got most of the pad "regions" turned off. I left the rightside region for page scrolling, but, it's driving me mad. I can't keep my fat finger out of there, so, when I try to move the cursor, sometimes the page takes off on me and I get lost. Popdigr was going back pages and pages, then forward several pages. It's quite maddening if you didn't know it did all these other things.

In the beginning, it took forever and a day to boot up, and you still couldn't use the thing for like ten minutes, while umpteen windows and warnings and ads kept opening. They had all kinds of useless shit in this little thing.

Boot time is down to about a minute, and the only thing that pops up now is the wireless network search results. Everything seems to work ok, for the moment...

It has some battle scars: One corner cap missing, where the screen meets the chassis, along with the screw that goes there; three screws out of six that hold the bottom on are missing; the plug for the computer end of the charging cable has some kind of fitment issue; and the battery doesn't want to hold a charge for as long as it should.

Not a bad find, all in all, I guess, for $55 out the door. Good job, Pop.

Posted using our new-to-us Acer Aspire One. And xanax.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:10 PM   #2
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Not a bad find, all in all, I guess, for $55 out the door. Good job, Pop.
Cool! Not bad as long as your labor rate is $0/hour and you get your drugs for free. And you already needed a haircut.

WTG!
Old 02-09-2012, 05:11 PM   #3
glatt

good job Pop, and great job Grav.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:52 PM   #4
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

lol @V
Old 02-09-2012, 06:28 PM   #5
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Next time, Grave, it might be easier to wipe the disk and reinstall the OS.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:49 AM   #6
Beest
Adapt and Survive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Zicato View Post
This was my first thought, quiker, easier and cleaner, but if he got off some guy who evidently wasn't very savvy, he may not have the disks, the newer computers we have have a aprtition with OS on it to reinstall from might be too old or Acer didn't do this.

Batteries age pretty quickly, $55 is less than a fancy mouse though !
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:17 PM   #7
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Zicato View Post
I woulda done just that, but it didn't have the disc(s) (no disc drive anywho). The "manual" that came installed on the 'book says an external hard drive (not included ) is required for a system recovery.

I'm wondering if we can get back to the "Out of Box Experience" (like the first boot) with a system restore? Ya think the SysRestore points go back that far?

I thought this thing was incredibly slow, web-wise, until I realized it waits for the entire page to load completely before it shows you anything besides the white page background, and then BLAM there's the page. I can't tell if it's slow, or just different.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:03 PM   #8
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Wifi up and running...

Full signal over the entirety of Gravdigr Estates!

ETA: It's a small estate.