The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 07-19-2004, 12:48 PM   #1
Pie
Gone and done

Alaska

Well, I was in Alaska a few weeks ago, and I finally got the web page together... Here are a few quick, lower-quality samples:
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2004, 01:47 PM   #2
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Wow, beautiful shots!

I have sooo totally got to go ... it's cold, dark half of the year, and there are moose. Oh, and what used to be called "Vermont Carry," but unlike Vermont, AK will also issue a permit so that you don't lose out on reciprocity agreements with other states that require paperwork for such.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 02:34 PM   #3
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Awesome, Pie. Looks like you had a fine trip.

I particularly liked the one of the glacier flowing into the lake. Wow.

Last edited by dar512; 07-19-2004 at 02:37 PM.
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 02:46 PM   #4
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Wow, beautiful shots!
I have sooo totally got to go ... it's cold, dark half of the year, and there are moose.
Thanks, Wolf. Funny enough, it was actually pretty hot when we were there, 85-90 degrees. The folks were complaining that they hadn't had a heatwave that bad in living memory. The days were waaay too LONG, but I didn't care, as we cheaped out and gotten an inside cabin -- nice'n'dark, any time you want some sleep. (This was my father-in-law's 60th birthday present from me and my husband -- we got him the expensive cabin.)

Didn't see any moose, but we were only in mountainous costal areas.

- Pie
Old 07-19-2004, 05:33 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Where were they taken. The first one looks like Turnagain arm and the second looks like Dalton highway, but so much looks alike, I'm probably way off. Nice pictures. :thumpsup:
Old 07-20-2004, 08:43 AM   #6
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Where were they taken. The first one looks like Turnagain arm and the second looks like Dalton highway, but so much looks alike, I'm probably way off. Nice pictures. :thumpsup:
The first example is on the way to the Tracy Arm (during a catamaran tour of the North and South Sawyer Glaciers) near Juneau. If you go to the web site listed above and click on "06-22-2004 Juneau" you can see a lot of glacier pics, a humpback whale that was hanging around our boat, a buncha waterfalls, and bald eagles... Definitely the best day of the trip.

The second one is a bit of a lie; it is actually Mt. Rainier (in Washington, not Alaska). It was taken near Sunrise Point.

Here's another one, taken from our ship near Ketchikan, Alaska on the longest day of the year.

- Pie
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2004, 12:45 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I should have recognized Rainier. I've seen it a hundred times.
It took me a minute to figure out where the links on the site were because my cursor didn't put the little hand up, but the pictures are outstanding.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:38 PM   #8
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
It took me a minute to figure out where the links on the site were because my cursor didn't put the little hand up, but the pictures are outstanding.
Thanks! Good point on the hand-thingie; I'm new to javascript programming. I added the style="cursor: pointer;" thing to the page (both "img" and "a" tags.) You might have to force a reload on each frame if your browser has cached the style sheet.

Any other suggestions?
- Pie

PS: Including : in a phrase seems to trigger it as a smiley. How do I get it to print as a literal? > and < seem to force html interpretation, as well. Hmmm... backslash? \<\>

Last edited by Pie; 07-20-2004 at 03:46 PM.
Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 06:21 PM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Any other suggestions?
Yes damnit, next time take me with you.