The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Archives > Philadelphia
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philadelphia Home to many Cellar users: the city of neighborhoods

Old 03-02-2001, 08:56 PM   #1
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I saw all the posts on phl.media, but reading 3 days worth of postings there--about 200 postings--would have probably hurt my head too much tonight.

Forget pointing fingers here...let's stop that. Let's focus on the punishment. My suggestion--make the offenders march down Broad Street while the crowd throws glass bottles at them.
Old 03-02-2001, 10:10 PM   #2
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I should think some sort of public humiliation would be an interesting solomonic approach. They destroyed public property with the welcome of a mob crowd. Let's see what happens when the mob turns against you.
Old 03-02-2001, 11:27 PM   #3
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Re: Mardi Gras 2001--solutions

Once a million kids got together for continuous days of sex, drugs, and rock & roll. Police were not required. No crimes were reported. However some cities can no longer permit their residents such freedoms. Philly is just that kind of town where its regional residents cannot even drink at a football game, at a big picnic in the park, or on a downtown party night. Funny how other towns (ie New Orleans) never had problems.

I grew up in places where hundreds could come together for a night of much beer & rock, or bicycle (for charity) to every bar in the county (first bars opened by 8 AM). Ironically, just recently some Philly regional residents even made a mess of the bike ride resulting in a major police confrontation.

"Everyone is dumb until I point a gun at them." Ok, the drunk may not have the gun but he still has this Bruce Willis attitude. Its really something that did not exist 20 years ago. The drunk remembers his rights but conveniently forgets his responsibilities? That is really something new.
Old 03-04-2001, 06:35 PM   #4
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
I saw all the posts on phl.media, but reading 3 days worth of postings there--about 200 postings--would have probably hurt my head too much tonight.

Forget pointing fingers here...let's stop that. Let's focus on the punishment. My suggestion--make the offenders march down Broad Street while the crowd throws glass bottles at them.
But can we really wait a whole year until the Mummers parade is available?
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
Old 03-04-2001, 07:07 PM   #5
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by richlevy
But can we really wait a whole year until the Mummers parade is available?
But from what I saw this year, the Mummers didn't cause any serious disturbances. (Unfortunately, being relatively new to this town, I don't know the complete background of past years.)

Actually, I have a new idea. Public hearings in front of City Hall--it could be a big celebration.

Make those convicted live in a dilapidated house in West or North Philly. And make them work outside the city--the wage tax would make them cry.

I think Judge Seamus would go with it...after all, we need more alternatives in sentencing.