The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 03-10-2003, 09:43 AM   #1
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Building an absolutely NON-uber box

My inlaws are in the market for a computer on the cheap. They're looking for a total package under a thousand, with a monitor and printer included, and could care less about the specs; all they want to do is get on the Internet, send email and send instant messages. (Or at least that's all they know they want to do. The geek in me knows that they're liable to say "Hey, can this computer do ____?" down the road, and I hate to have to say "No, because you bought something that's obsolete now" too soon.) Being the family geek, I've been pressed into service to find something suitable for them.

My first impulse was to go the name-brand route and point them at a <a href="http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?CS=19&kc=6V774&oc=D23TVF&view=1">new entry-level Dell</a>; $764 shipped with a generic monitor, free CDRW in the second bay, an extra 128MB RAM, otherwise mostly untouched from the bare-bones config. (I could drop down to a Celeron 1.8GHz and save ninety bucks from there.)

Upsides:
* Name-brand tech-support, parts and service
* Shipped right to their door, for free
* They don't NEED a CDRW, but it's nice to have for free
* If they see a program at Wal-Mart that looks interesting, they have the horsepower to run it
* Comes with some built-in software (Works suite, etc.)

Downsides:
* Overpowered (even at entry-level) if all they'll ever want to do are basic Internet tasks
* I'm not a fan of integrated sound/video and shared video RAM (though since they won't need serious gaming fu, that shouldn't be a major issue)
* With a printer, edging close to their price limit

Next thought: have a system built for them similar to <a href="http://www.netreach.net/~alpha/systems.htm">the one I have now</a>, with slightly reduced specs (they don't need a GeForce 2 GTS, for example). I bought a T-Bird 1300 from this dealer two years ago, and it's still going strong.

Upsides:
* Lots of customization options (choosing Win98 SE or WinXP, processor speed, buying a monitor separately, tweaking what parts will go into the system up front)
* Same run-whatever's-at-Wal-Mart ability as the Dell
* I can unpack it in my computer room, set it up however they'll want it, and drive it to their house myself on my next visit

Downsides:
* The price isn't THAT much better, after Dell's rebate
* Still potentially overpowered for basic tasks
* Fear of brand-X parts
* If something goes foom, taking it to the shop requires a three-hour drive, as my inlaws live in Williamsport

Option three: <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3405365042&category=31505">going the eBay route</a> for something that's a lot lower in power, but still quite capable of doing what they want. (I'm not hooked on the linked auction in question, but it's an example of what's out there.) Something like my friend's P3-450 or my dad's P3-800 could do the job, and save a few hundred dollars in the process.

Upsides:
* Much lower price than a new system
* Can still run most contemporary software -- and what they can't run are likely hardware-pushing games, which they wouldn't be interested in anyway
* I can unpack it in my computer room, set it up however they'll want it, and drive it to their house myself on my next visit
* With the money saved, I can pick up an upgrade or two and improve it before I deliver it

Downsides:
* When you buy used, you pays your money, you takes your chances (no/little warranty, no tech support)
* OS/Software required separately in most cases

Then an errant thought hit me. If they really want a basic, user-friendly, no-hassles experience... why not a <a href="http://bundycomputer.com/Pages/imacg3pricepage/imacg3pricepage.html">new</a> or <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3405905127&category=4603">used</a> <a href="http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/phi/sys/8446484.html"> iMac?</a>

Upsides:
* It's a Macintosh
* I can unpack it in my computer room, set it up however they'll want it, and drive it to their house myself on my next visit (though I may not want to give it up once I start playing with it)

Downsides:
* Never mind the "can they run programs from Wal-Mart" factor -- they won't be able to FIND on-the-shelf programs for the Mac
* the usual "new is expensive, used is risky" caveats
* they might be happier with a generic Windows PC like they've used before (I'd certainly check with them before going the Mac route, obviously)

Thoughts? I'm not particularly attached to any of the specific options I linked above -- they're just examples of what I'm finding out there right now.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 09:57 AM   #2
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Dude, Get 'em the Dell ...

Upside: Works out of the box, comes with lots of cool stuff, has what they want. So what if they are a little overpowered now ... they'll keep the machine longer that way. They won't know that they're overpowered. And on the offchance that the W.P.U.s ever figure that out, they will be equipped to play the latest cool online game. At least for the next couple years, anyway.

Bigger Upside: Dell Customer Service. They can contact someone OTHER than you for help.

Downside: Can't think of one.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 10:06 AM   #3
dave

Macs are hard to push when the low-budget thing comes up. The best bang for the buck right now is the eMac, but that comes in at $999 new (entry level). Apple's refurbs are excellent, but it's not like they're cutting the price in half - you can get a refurb eMac for... er, $699. I stand the fuck corrected. But it doesn't have a CD-RW drive. If you wanted to upgrade to the DVD/CD-RW combo drive, it would add another $150 to the price. I wouldn't bother for them, I think. You can go to crucial.com and order some RAM for it (part CT260484, an extra 512 megs for about $95 with the coupon, which I'm eligible for even if you're not). So they'd have a 640 meg machine with a 700MHz G4 (decently fast) and GF2MX graphics for about $800. Not too bad. Add a decent inkjet printer and you're looking at $900. Apple's refurbs are basically good as new and carry the standard warranty and all that, so you don't have to worry about the used bit. (I'm told, by friends at Apple, the refurbs are usually just open box items.)

The lack of software can be an issue if they're the type to buy whatever's at Wal*Mart. You can find most anything you need, either online at apple.com or at CompUSA (or various other resellers). So it's maybe not as convenient as Wal*Mart, but it shouldn't be a *huge* issue either. And I'm definitely willing to help out if they can't find a program and need a replacement - I know all the places to look, so all you'd have to do is ask.

As for PC's, I'd go name-brand with support, just because it means you don't have to support it for them. Lots of people ask me to build them computers now, and I tell them to go buy a Dell. It's not worth my time to support a PC, usually because there are so many little problems you get called with ("How do I check my email?" etc).

Now, if it were my relatives... I would say "these are really the two choices. I personally would stick you with the Mac, because it's easier to use, but Windows XP isn't too bad either. So you pick." They'll probably pick PC, and that's okay too.

Relevant link - http://www.apple.com/emac and you're looking at the entry-level model with just a CD-ROM.
Old 03-10-2003, 10:53 AM   #4
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I have toyed with getting one of the package deals from www.computergeeks.com .... for my own amusement.. and partly to see how well it would work. Their offerings seem to change... before they were offering a pretty complete system (minus monitor and OS) for $270... right now their only thing showing is a system minus HD, RAM, CD/DVD, monitor and OS for $99. JDR also offers some bare-bones packages of parts.

But, I'd never give it to my parents. I encouraged them to buy an HP Pavilion--not necessarily my first choice, but they weren't comfy with mail order so they wanted something they could buy at Circuit City--and like Wolf says, there'll be somebody besides you they can ask for help. (But they'll come back to you anyway.)

Last edited by SteveDallas; 03-10-2003 at 10:58 AM.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 11:09 AM   #5
That Guy
He who reads, sometimes writes.

I've dealt with www.internetishop.com several times. They're very cheap, and you can customize without paying through the nose. They don't have tech support, but their customer service is good. If you go through a Tier-2 seller, check out www.resellerratings.com.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 09:21 AM   #6
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

I chatted with the intended buyer last night, and explained that while buying a new Dell would be overbuying for his needs, simply "adequate" systems are no longer available for sale. Given a choice between overbuying new for $X or buying used for $1/2 X, he said he'd rather go with a new system. So be it.

<a href="http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?CS=19&kc=6V771&oc=D23TVF&view=1">This system</a> seems to be the best value-priced deal they have right now. Slightly tweaked (bumping up to 256MB RAM, getting the better 17" CRT, upgrading to Works so that they'll get MS Word, selecting Earthlink instead of AOHell), I'm coming up with $824 with a $100 mail-in rebate for a 2.0 GHz Pentium IV system with a two-year warranty.

If I <a href="http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?cs=19&oc=D235RS&m_1=DX218CB&m_116=40CDR2P&c=us&l=en&kc=6V903&s=dhs">start from scratch</a> and try to create a similar system, using a Celeron 1.8 GHz processor, I get $644 for a one-year warranty or $723 for a two-year warranty. After the rebate, this means it's a dollar more to get the Pentium IV chipset instead of the Celeron, which seems like a no-brainer to my untrained eye.

I <b>hate hate hate</b> ordering a system with Intel Integrated Extreme graphics and audio, but the 2350 simply doesn't have an AGP slot, and bumping up to the 4550 and getting a real video card knocks the system out of the desired price range. Hopefully, he won't discover the joys of Quake III a year from now and wonder why his system chugs like the Little Engine That Could going uphill for 3D graphics.

By the way, did I mention that Dell's online store disgusts me, in that I can build the exact same system three different ways WITHIN the Home Office system and get three different prices, then get a fourth price if I try it as Small Business? If I want to order something, I should be able to look it up once, not spend an hour trying to find six different routes to the same configuration and selecting the one with the lowest price.

Anything else leap out at anyone about this?
Old 03-11-2003, 09:39 AM   #7
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Yes, that support goes for about $100 a year, and that's shitty support but intended for the drink holder and foot pedal users so they don't call US.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 09:58 AM   #8
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

From what I've heard, Dell's tech support has plummeted to the level of, say, Verizon Online's, in that users have to break through three layers of drones armed with checklists and autoresponders to get a real techie on the case. You spend an hour at a time feeling like you're talking to Eliza ("You say that your system won't boot. Is it because your system won't boot that you came to me? That's very interesting.")

It's not the support I'm after, but the warranty. If I shell out the extra $80, that's an extra year where when something goes *foom*, someone else fixes it, and I don't end up driving three hours with a replacement part in hand. From what I've read, the 2350 line has a reasonable chance of *foom*ing (love them cheap parts).
Old 03-11-2003, 10:36 AM   #9
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

OK. Is that in-person warranty support, or send-it-back-and-wait warranty support?

Has MS built "PC Anywhere" type facilities into XP, or were they gonna do that for some future version? I'm imagining a better world for all of us where the support really does happen over the net.
Old 03-11-2003, 10:50 AM   #10
dave

They have, kinda. I don't think you can dial in (but you might be able to), but you can definitely do it over broadband.
Old 03-11-2003, 11:16 AM   #11
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
OK. Is that in-person warranty support, or send-it-back-and-wait warranty support?
It's listed on the menu as "2Yr Ltd Warr plus 2Yr At-Home Service + 90Days Dell Security Center (McAfee)." Follow the magic footnote to read:

<i>At-home or on-site service provided via third-party contract with customer. Technician will be dispatched if necessary following phone-based troubleshooting, often the next business day. Availability varies. Other conditions apply.</i>

Consume grain of salt as required, with regard to the degree-of-difficulty feat required to deem a technician visit as "necessary."

For what it's worth, my Dad's Pentium-III Dell has been stable, though I replaced the piece-of-shit WinModem they shipped with it after about twelve seconds of use.

For an extra $69, you can tack on CompleteCare coverage:

<i>Complete Care helps protect your desktop against those unpredictable little accidents that can happen around the house or office. It covers most non-intentional, accidental damage including electrical surges, drops and liquid spills. CompleteCare is a great addition to the award-winning service and support that comes with each Dell system! We regret that CompleteCare is not available for Dell Home Sales customers in CA, FL, or NY.

CompleteCare service excludes theft, loss, and damage due to fire or intentional damage. CompleteCare not available in all states. Customer may be required to return unit to Dell. For complete details, visit http://www.dell.com/us/en/gen/servic...contracts.htm.</i>

I suppose if you have a toddler running around who might give Dad's computer a bath, this has potential.
Old 03-11-2003, 12:02 PM   #12
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I see - often, it's even the same day. Not most of the time. They aren't promising very much!
Old 03-11-2003, 12:02 PM   #13
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

I'm looking at getting a new PC myself (i swear it's the season for it). Got a catalog from PC Connection a few weeks back which is offering an Acer System with a 15'' LCD monitor for about 899. I don't have the specs here with me, but I called to talk to them last night and it doesn't sound like a half bad little system.

Will post the info later.

Dagney

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 12:53 PM   #14
dave

No, The Tone - often it's the <b>next business day</b>. Even better!
Old 03-12-2003, 11:49 AM   #15
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

I spoke with the intended buyer again last night, and we agreed to postpone buying until at least after this weekend, when I'll be in town and armed with pricelists and comparisons.

My mother-in-law did mention that she'd heard about some great deals at Sam's Club on computers, which filled me with premonitions of screeching horror. I checked their website, and the "great deals" in question were on eMachines, confirming those premonitions. Suffice it to say that I spent quite some time last night explaining why eMachines are a Very Bad Idea.