Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Sports
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sports My tribe can beat up your tribe

Old 10-18-2006, 10:51 AM   #1
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Fixing college football

Is college football broken? I think so. My two main problems are

- No definitive winner. The computer/bowl setup is bogus. Why not have a field of sixteen playoff? I can't imagine any team below sixteen beating the #1 or #2 team. Each game would be a bowl, and could still culminate with the consolation game and final on New Year's Day. Thanksgiving weekend would have 8 games, the next weekend 4 games, then two, then two on NY day. The first weekend would have bowls like the Joe's pizzarama bowl, and the finals would be the Rose bowl type game. Top bowls could rotate. There would still be mucho $$ - in fact, maybe more since the games would be coordinated. There wouldn't be two games on TV at once.

- Amateur status. Do college football players really need to have amateur status? Are these guys really amateurs? Are they really interested in a college education? Is it fair to demand that they carry a full class load, given that they spend a huge amount of time fulfilling their football commitment? Maybe there needs to be two NCAA leagues - the "professional" league and the "walk-on" or "just for fun" league.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:51 PM   #2
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I'm disappointed. I thought this was going to be a thread on improving your chances at becoming wealthy through sports betting.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:58 PM   #3
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

If you started the playoffs by Thanksgiving wouldn't that cut the season short for the rest of teams that will never get a chance to play in a bowl game because they come from a small school in a weak conference? You can't push the season back because it is a school event and you can't start games before school starts. There are too many teams and not enough time to hold a traditional playoff system. The only way I can see putting in a playoff system is to have the final bowls ending in late January.

While a majority are interested in a college education but a good amount are going to college just to play football. If you did have a seperation of two league what would happen to the people who are planning on getting an education and seriously play football? Would they go to the professional with other people who don't go to college? By the way, a lot of schools have club football leagues so that is more or less the "just for fun" league.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote