The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 09-01-2013, 04:03 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Adjusting to Circumstances

Robert Hahn, writing for American Scholar, details Linz Austria, Hitler's home town or at least where he spent the majority of his youth.

Hahn goes into some detail about Hitler's plans for Linz and the role of the nearby Mauthausen Quarry & concentration camp. He also notes current residents understandably would rather forget, or at least put behind them, that part of Linz history.

What struck me is a quote from a Linz resident.
Quote:
A current resident of Linz recalled for an interviewer what it was like in those days and how he felt about it. “The horror,” he said, “the horror that we felt at the beginning, that a person can treat another person like that—it died away somehow. That’s how it is, isn’t it?”
That's how it happens, that's how most people cope with horrible situations whether it be from officials in power, or black sheep family.

You can freak out, become the resistance, railing against the injustice, and likely be squashed like a bug.
Or nose to the grindstone, don't know/see/say nothing nohow, hoping this too shall pass, until it just becomes accepted reality.

Some choices.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:04 PM   #2
Griff
still says videotape

Depressing.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:52 PM   #3
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
That's how it happens, that's how most people cope with horrible situations whether it be from officials in power, or black sheep family.

You can freak out, become the resistance, railing against the injustice, and likely be squashed like a bug.
Or nose to the grindstone, don't know/see/say nothing nohow, hoping this too shall pass, until it just becomes accepted reality.
[Bold mine]

There's a middle ground, of course, on which one adjusts to circumstances by neither capitulating nor falling on ones sword. It takes some education in history, enough to know that those who don't learn from it repeat its mistakes, to realize that there are two solutions to most serious problems: a short term solution and a long term solution. The short term solution addresses emotions, the long term solution addresses intellect.

In this scenario the middle ground short term solution is to gather information/pay attention to everything/; but, say nothing nohow and tell others to do the same, hoping it will stay the apathy until an opportunity for a long term solution either presents itself or can be created.

Don't approach the "don't know/see/say nothing nohow" sheep types (that's where you'll find your Judas); rather, approach the wolves who would "freak out, become the resistance, railing against the injustice, and likely be squashed like a bug" and encourage them to live to fight another day (if they don't listen, they're going to die and take your secrets to the grave anyway).

Those who do so will retain their intellectual awareness despite their emotional numbness and recognize the opportunity when it comes to implement the long term solution which is to become the resistance, railing against the injustice, vanquish the oppressor and live to tell about it. Sheep make the world go round; but, wolves set the pace.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:20 AM   #4
regular.joe
Старый сержант

I was told a story some time ago about the Biship of the Eastern Orthodox Church who lived up in Alaska. He was from Russia. A long time ago he was a priest in a small town in North East Russia. The Communits were coming in a few days to take over the town and the surrounding area. They were shooting priests, and dissenters. The towns folk came to the priest the night before the communists were to show and told the priest to bring his family in to town and hide amongst the people. He told them thank you but I answer to a higher power and calling. The towns folk insisted saying that they did not want anything to happen to him and his wife and children. Upon further argument the towns folk changed thier tune to they did not want anything to happen to them or the town since there was an active priest and parish there. He still said no. They threatened to kill his family, and finally did so in front of him. The priest burried his wife and children and spent the night in prayer. The next day he marched right up to the communists setting up shop in town. The communists and towns folk both asked what the hell are you doing here??? He replied that he had prayed all night for direction and prayed that he might be placed in the place of most service. He figured that this town was one of the most fucked up places on earth and certainly needed his service. He spent the next decades holding mass with one old lady as a participant. I think we all would like to have this kind of character to do what we really believe is right in spite of actual or percieved consequences. Faith without works is dead. Even if that is only faith in your own ideals, intelect and charcter.

Death, like birth, is a secret of Nature. - Marcus Aurelius.
regular.joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:16 PM   #5
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

There are several translations, but all groups including here in the Cellar, tend to follow the Japanese proverb:
Quote:
突出杭はハンマー集めている

Or, protruding nails attract the hammer
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:00 PM   #6
sexobon

Quote:
Originally Posted by regular.joe View Post
I was told a story some time ago about ...
A good story about why priests shouldn't have wives and children.

That priest sacrificed the lives of his wife and children so he could preach to one old lady for the next decade[s]. Only people who believe faith without works is dead would want to emulate that kind of character. Those who believe faith without good works is dead would characterize that priest as the village idiot who in his time of trial couldn't tell the difference between reckless disregard and faith.

Reminds me of the story of Father Miguel Hidalgo who led the first revolt for Mexican independence in the Mexican Revolution of 1810. He proved to be an inept leader and organizer who was captured within 8 months and executed. The Mexican people have made him an icon as the father of their country; because, he makes the rest of them look like geniuses in comparison (it was Agustin de Iturbide and not Hidalgo who achieved Mexican Independence in 1821).

Incompetent priests, you can't live with them; but, you can execute them which is why they shouldn't have families.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:00 AM   #7
regular.joe
Старый сержант

He didn't waffle nor was he cowardly in the face of his circumstances. He and his family died once.

Death, like birth, is a secret of Nature. - Marcus Aurelius.
regular.joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:16 PM   #8
sexobon

Yes, yes, a coward dies a thousand deaths, a brave man dies but once. The ranks of those who die just once also include drunk drivers, stoned skydivers, Russian roulette players, anyone who brings a knife to a gunfight and others who are just plain too stupid to live (the latter being the common denominator). None of them waffle or are cowardly in the face of their circumstances either. That alone doesn't constitute good character.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #9
JBKlyde
Banned

how many times dose a sales man die...
JBKlyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #10
JBKlyde
Banned

I die a thousand deaths.?
2 replies
Forums · General English Grammar & Vocabulary, Listening & Speaking · General English Vocabulary & Idiom Questions

BMO:
what is "I die a thousand deaths?" thanks.
18th October 2004
Full Member164
MrPedantic:
Hello BMO

This is a compact way of saying 'I am subject to a large
number of unpleasant experiences, each of which is as bad as
dying'.

It usually applies to mental phenomena, e.g. the thoughts that
precede an occasion that is going to be extremely painful.

It's quite a melodramatic phrase, and would usually only be found
in a highly rhetorical context.

MrP
JBKlyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #11
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
snip--

others who are just plain too stupid to live (the latter being the common denominator).

--snip
I've heard you use this phrase several times. How then, do you account for so many living stupid people?
Old 09-05-2013, 10:44 PM   #12
sexobon

The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind
Old 09-06-2013, 07:55 AM   #13
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

the answer is pollen?
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:08 PM   #14
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Warning lables
Old 09-10-2013, 08:41 AM   #15
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

My guess is plastic shopping bags. Every plastic bag blowing in the wind is one not suffocating a stupid person?
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote