The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-24-2006, 12:36 PM   #1
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I met your brethren today

I got to class early today, as I always do. I drop my son off at his school and then go to my school. It gives me an hour to read the paper before class begins. Instead of reading about the latest teen slaying in my neighborhood, I was treated to a blow-by-blow description of why the star ship in STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION was superior to the old Enterprise by some incredibly geeky kid. Reminded me of you guys. Really. Made me misty. You guys are geeks, aren't you?

I knew he was a geek coz I gave him all the "go away, kid, ya bother me," vibe I knew but he persisted in the belief that I cared about the star ships, too.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum

Last edited by Trilby; 02-24-2006 at 12:42 PM. Reason: you'll see
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 12:45 PM   #2
barefoot serpent
go ahead, abbrev. it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
Reminded me of you guys. Really. Made me misty. You guys are geeks, aren't you?
Yes, RFID card-carrying geeks... but only misty? Not, umm, you know uhh... like dampish anywhere else?
barefoot serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 12:52 PM   #3
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Um...you say "geeks" like it is a bad thing. Besides, it appears that you have exude a certain attraction to geeks. So - why *is* the STTNG Enterprise better than the STTOS Enterprise?
Old 02-24-2006, 12:55 PM   #4
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Els--I'll tell ya: according to Larry (!) (really, a kid named Larry!) it's because it held a freaking shitload more people and had better weapons. He mentioned (realize that I was not paying strict attention as was wondering about latest teen-on-teen violence in neighborhood) that the Enterprise held around 1,300 people whereas the new ship held 11,000 people. The weapons system was beyond my grasp, but you know who you are.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 02-24-2006, 01:01 PM   #5
glatt

Plus, the newer ship can split in two, and then rejoin again. You can gang up on the enemy.

The special effects tab for this stunt was a little high back in the day, so they only did it a few times.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 01:05 PM   #6
FallenFairy
nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
I was treated to a blow-by-blow description of why the star ship in STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION was superior to the old Enterprise by some incredibly geeky kid. Reminded me of you guys. Really. Made me misty. You guys are geeks, aren't you?
GEEKS?!?
(there are geeks here?? )

You would have to define the term geek in this context - I mean I thought everyone knew about the 2 Enterprises....The Enterprise from the original series (Captian James T. Kirk commanding) was a Constitution Class vessel
with a gross tonnage of 190,000 Metric Tons. The propulsion system consisted of a Matter/Antimatter warp drive plus Impulse... which allowed a cruising velocity of Warp 6 (384C) C= speed of light so approx speed would be 186,000mps

and then you have the Enterprise from The Next Generation which.... um.... ahem.... ok I'm a geek.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:07 PM   #7
wolf
lobber of scimitars

He's not so good a geek. The crew complement of the Original Series Enterprise was 430.

And they did a lot more with a lot less.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 01:16 PM   #8
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

See-? That is what pisses me off RE: GEEKS. You can't trust them and yet they are SO SURE that they are right.

reason I don't believe.

PS. That whole debate about who's starship is better than who's made me wish, fevently, for you all.

—James Barrie

Last edited by Trilby; 02-24-2006 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:33 PM   #9
FallenFairy
nope

Wolf is absolutely correct. 430 capacity.
For the NG Enterprise the capacity for daily routine was 1,014 officers, crew, and civilians...
BUT it was capable of using the hold for a 15,000 emergency limit.

Trust me Brianna I would never lie to you about Star Trek!
Old 02-24-2006, 01:43 PM   #10
Elspode

If Warp 6 = 384C, then wouldn't that be an effective speed of 384 x 186,000 mps, or 13,284,864,000 mps? If light travels at the rounded off speed of 186,000.00 miles per second, then that makes a Light Year a distance of 97,761,600,000 miles. That would make Warp 6 around 7.36 Light Years per Second, which seems more reasonable.

Given that the galaxy is calculated to be an average value of, say, 90,000 light years in diameter, give or take, then that would mean the STOS Enterprise could traverse the galaxy in about 8.46 days at maximum warp, which, of course, could not be maintained for that long.

Geeks? No geeks here, man.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:53 PM   #11
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

i think you are now making stuff up.

—James Barrie

Old 02-24-2006, 02:00 PM   #12
wolf
lobber of scimitars

We all worked this stuff out in high school, because AP physics was boring.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 02:08 PM   #13
Elspode

What I did is just simple multiplication and division of slightly large numbers. Believe me, I'm not a math guy. I *am* an astronomy guy, though, so I try hard to grasp the values associated with astronomical concepts, like the speed of light.

I was going to work it out in parsecs, but I'm lazy and at work.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:47 PM   #14
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenFairy
You would have to define the term geek in this context - I mean I thought everyone knew about the 2 Enterprises....T
and then you have the Enterprise from The Next Generation which.... um.... ahem.... ok I'm a geek.
*Two*? Don't be silly.
NX-10 ("Enterprise")
NCC-1701 (TOS)
NCC 1701-A (Star Trek V: The Final Frontier)
NCC-1701-B (Generations)
NCC-1701-C (The "Yesterday's Enterprise" episode of TNG)
NCC-1701-D (TNG)
NCC-1701-E (First Contact, Insurrection, Nemisis).

But there's much better military starships in the Honor Harrington series.

And for a non-stardrive ship, you can't beat Serenity

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 03:59 PM   #15
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieL
And for a non-stardrive ship, you can't beat Serenity
Absolutely. Everyone buy the DVDs!
|_______________| [pics]

Last edited by Happy Monkey; 02-24-2006 at 04:02 PM.
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote