The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-17-2008, 06:42 PM   #1
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Stupid Access Tricks

I have this MS Access database. Among other information, it has pictures of people. Think ID card photos.

I have another database with many of the same people. I need to extract the pictures from the first database and get them to the second. The second will import all the images for me, if only I can give it a directory full of files, where the name of each file is the ID # of the person. (The alternative is for somebody to sit and cut & paste the pictures between the two databases.)

(Please don't ask for more background about how and why I got to this point. If I had to explain, I'd probably just shoot myself.)

The problem is I can't figure out how to get the pictures out of the Access database as individual files. Googling has resulted primarily in solutions that get the files out as part of a report, e.g. to a PDF file. I had some hope for "print to HTML" utilities, but the ones I've found so far work by producing images of the entire report, a page at a time. I even found a little shareware app that promises to pull the images out of an Access file, but it doesn't seem to actually work. (To be fair, I've not yet been able to get any feedback from the developer.) I also made a very quick try with Crystal Reports, but if there's a way to do it there, I missed it.

Any suggestions?
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote