The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-29-2003, 06:46 PM   #1
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Katherine Hepburn Dead at 96

I'm not going to say too much about the passing of Katherine Hepburn today at age 96. What is there to say?

She won an unequalled four Academy Awards, and was nominated for a total of 12 while starring in some of the greatest films of all time. From flighty ingenue to regal nobility, no part was beyond her. Equally comfortable with farcical comedy and heavy drama, her beauty and grace were matched by very few other actresses. Frank and outspoken, Ms. Hepburn was a liberated woman long before society began to accept the concept.

Some years ago, I read her autobiographical tale about the making of my favorite Hepburn film, "The African Queen". It is a keen and loving insight into the heyday of big Hollywood stars, back when the contract system still ruled, and directors like John Huston were all-powerful and extremely eccentric. I highly recommend this book, entitled "The Making of the African Queen: Or How I Went to Africa With Bogart, Bacall and Huston and Almost Lost My Mind". Astounding, just astounding.

The passing of my favorite film icons always make me a little bit misty. Ms. Hepburn's passing leaves me totally morose. Thank you, thank you Kate, for so much good work, for so many laughs, for so many entertaining evenings.

Patrick

Last edited by Elspode; 06-29-2003 at 06:49 PM.
Elspode is offline   Reply With Quote