FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-19-2001, 03:43 PM   #11
lisa
Etherial

Quote:
Originally posted by dhamsaic
I think this is partially what tw was arguing - if you don't want a National ID card, don't get one. Just like you can't possibly say that National ID cards are evil - maybe they are to you, but that doesn't mean they're not good for others.
Hey, as you said above, the whole thing is a matter of opinion. In my opinion if national ID cards are enacted they will NOT be voluntary even if they do start out that way. And, for that reason, along with the erosion of privacy that I think it will create, I choose to oppose them.

I don't claim that I am right and others are wrong. I have my opinion and I choose to make it known. I doubt that anyone can ever produce objective "proof" that right (A) is worth giving up for security (B).

I am just amazed how little people value some rights and freedoms compared to "security". I do not claim that they are wrong or are not entitled to their own value systems.

[QUOTE}The "temporary security" is important as well - obviously, long term measures need to be enacted. Are you furious about not being able to take a razor on an airplane? Or are you understanding that, while the notion is ridiculous, your Lady Schick could possibly be used to hijack an airplane and fly it into a building, so you put up with the grief. If you're not rebelling against these new "restrictions" and standing up for your rights in the face of this tyranny, then you're just blowing hot air.[/quote]

Nope. I just don't feel that my "right" to carry a razor in the passenger compartment, as opposed to my luggage, is worth the loss of safety. It all a question of relative values -- on this one, I choose to go the other way. These things are NOT black and white, you know.

Quote:
...but are you really willing to trade everyone you love so you can sit smugly in the absence of a National ID card?
No. I am willing to RISK them... the same way that I am willing to risk them being killed by an properly licensed firearm. IOW, I support the second ammendment even though I know it is possible that my daughter may be killed with a gun someday. I feel it is worth the right. Just as I know she may be killed by a car, but I don't oppose the operation of motor vehicles because I feel the benefit is worth the risk.

Quote:
Lesser crime? I wonder if you'd sing the same tune if it happened to you. I know we all like to pretend we would. But can you honestly say that, after having your identity stolen, your credit rating ruined and your ability to get a job almost totally destroyed because of a ruined professional reputation, that you would say "man, sure am glad I stood up to that one, 'cause even though I'm living with my parents and have no money whatsoever, at least I don't have a National ID card"?
Nope. I don't think I would. Just as I am sure that I might oppose the second ammendment if and when a family member of mine was killed by a firearm. Very seldom does ANYONE who was a vicitim of a law (or a lack of one) not have an opinion in the direction that would have protected them after they have been a victim.

That's why I always consider this a poor argument. I'll bet that I might very well favor the outlawing of swimming pools if my brother drowned in one!

Quote:
Having seen someone go through minor identity theft (credit cards, which ruined my mother's credit rating), I have an appreciation for some stronger protection on these areas.
Ah, and, as I stated above, that explains somewhat your intensity. I am sincerely sorry for what happened to your mother and, if I were in your position, I would probably feel similarly. But I am not and I therefore feel the way I feel and have my opinions.

That's the beauty of freedom. We can have differing opinions, and state them. Let's just hope that they never take THAT right away in the interest of safety and security!
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote