The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-25-2009, 01:17 PM   #1
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Audio Plays and Radio Drama

As some of you may be aware, I am hugely into Audioplays. Whilst I love audio books, I have a particular penchant for full-cast audio/radio productions. I've already mentioned Big Finish on a number of occasions (the people who make Doctor Who, Sapphire and Steel, Strontium Dog, 2000 AD and Stargate audio plays, amongst others). But I have recently discovered another production company: On Air - The Wireless Theatre Company.

Unlike Big Finish, the WTC downloads are free (though I am not sure if they can be downloaded outside of the UK: I haven't seen anything that says they can't and apparently they can also be downloaded via Globalradio1.com, so I suspect it's worldwide). There are some superb plays on there: if you want to check it out it's at
http://www.wirelesstheatrecompany.co.uk/index.php/about

Are there any other audioplay fans in the Cellar? I know Sundae got into the Torchwood plays on BBC radio recently. Which by the way were very good.

Radioplays are a big thing over here. BBC Radio4 and BBC7 both rely very heavily on radio drama as a key element of their broadcasting. I know there are some Audiotheatre production companies operating in the States, but I am curious if Radio dramas/comedy plays are something you guys get on your radio stations? If so, can you recommend any that you've heard? I'd be interested in hearing how you guys do it

Last edited by DanaC; 08-25-2009 at 01:28 PM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote