The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #32
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
So the executed innocents...... are they not dying for a cause?
They are dying as a punishment for their convicted actions. I do not consider that a cause unless you consider "making an example out of someone" as a cause, which I don't.

Quote:
And did they not volunteer by living and voting/not voting in a state with CP?
So someone is just suppose to leave their entire life and move to a different state/country that does not have capital punishment just because of the extremely small possibility that they might go on death row? I do not call that rational. I call that paranoia.

Quote:
ANd even if they're anti CP and protest violently about it, what were they doing that made them a suspect?
You can be a suspect just from being in the wrong place at the wrong time or even by your skin color or dress. Is it likely? Hell no. Can it happen? Yes.

Quote:
isn't doing something dodgy in a state with the DP akin to volunteering?
Define dodgy. And no.

In reality, doing something out of the norm will make you a suspect and that must be recognized by everyone who wants to stay out of trouble. That is how the world works. Is that fair or just? No. But, I would prefer a justice system that is as just as realistically possible. So because of this, I strongly disagree that doing something dodgy in a state with the death penalty is akin to volunteering. Its just being stupid.