The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-13-2010, 08:41 PM   #1
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Kid is obsessed, wants everything and lots of it

The inch's 7th birthday is about 48 days away. According to his concept of time that is like the day after tomorrow. He is obsessed with this "Forces of Valor" collector's tank that he saw at our local Pet/Hobby shop. They sell for about $50-$60 each.

He just won't stop with it. Last week we were at a Military History Museum and he saw these pull back toy tanks and I didn't get him one (Big mistake and I am still pissed at myself for my totally arbitrary decision not to buy one and defuse the situation) So he decides that the reason I didn't buy him the pull back tank was because I had bigger plans in mind. (Not exactly, no. I was just being a tightwad)

So somehow he figured out that we could look for the tank he wanted on the internet and when we got to the website of "Forces of Valor" and he saw the 97 different tanks they sell, he broke out a pen and paper and began his list. He narrowed it down to about 8 or 9 tanks that "I absolutely have to buy for him"

INCH: "I'm ordering you to buy these."

ME: Order eh -- who does he think he is?
INCH: I am your king!
ME: Well, I didn't vote for you.

But seriously, WTF? He thinks he is going to get nine tanks from me? He is like a cocaine rat with those tanks, Jesus. My wife had this whole convo with him because he thought he wasn't worth the $ that the tanks cost. For some reason his self worth is all wrapped up in things. He definitely associates love with toys (I blame the evil MIL) and was in tears when I read the description of the F of V products as being collectibles for adults and not toys. "I'm not an adult." (therefore no tank) He was sobbing.

The three of them (the inch, the mm, and mrs. foot) are on some kind of emotional jag lately and all of them are crying at the drop of a hat.

I'm fucking perplexed.