The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-03-2002, 02:27 PM   #1
dave

HOLY HORSESHIT, BATMAN!

Guess what?

My domain, metastudios.com, was shut down yesterday. My shell access to the server was also disabled. I sent in a trouble ticket, and they responded that my account was disabled. I asked why, and they tell me:

Quote:
Below is the notification that we received from representatives of the MPAA. In order to comply with their request, we were to disable the domain and preserve the content. You will need to contact MPAA@copyright.org to persue the complaint now.

Abuse Response Team
Know why?

I had a fucking file on there named DeCSS.tar.gz. Know what it was? Some software to remove Cascading Style Sheets from HTML web pages. Obviously they didn't examine this software, nor the webpage it was on, which clearly stated

"this software cannot be used to make illegal copies of DVDs".

What a bunch of fucking shitfaces, both the MPAA and the host. THEY REMOVED MY SITE, WITHOUT EVEN ASKING ME FIRST FOR CLARIFICATION, AFTER THE MPAA MADE SHIT UP ABOUT MY SITE. From the MPAA email:

Quote:
We have received information that the above referenced Internet site is providing a circumvention device commonly known as DeCSS. DeCSS is a software utility that decrypts or unscrambles the contents of DVDs (consisting of copyrighted motion pictures) or otherwise circumvents the protection afforded by the Contents Scramble System (CSS) and permits the copying of the DVD contents and/or any portion thereof.
NOT VERY FUCKING GOOD INFORMATION, YOU SHITBAGS.

I am fucking disgusted.