The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-29-2012, 01:04 AM   #11
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

So.

I removed the fan, shmeared the heat paste on the cpu, attached the heat sync thingie, got pissed off at the ikea like directions that came with the cooling system and quit.
Then I started again, figured out that the 3 prong receivers go into the 4 pin fan connections, then the fans go into the heat sync thingie, and hooked it to power.

Then I hooked up the 24 pin main power, and got stumped on the secondary cpu power connection. the mb instructions show a 4 pin 12v, but there is no complimentary connector coming out of the power supply. Got pissed again and quit again.

Then I noticed step 4 at the bottom of the page in the ps book. Split the 8 pin connector. Oh sure...

Hook up the video card, monitor,(oh, I got an acer 23" monitor for $170) the little beep speaker, and the on off button..... Connect power, and hit the button..... It comes on, but no beep. Wtf.

Then I realized, I only have half of the power hooked up to the video card.... Fix that, and it boots! Yay.

That was right at midnight. So then spencer got re interested, and wanted to keep going.

So we took that all apart, installed the mother board in the case, mounted the video card, put the fan back in, installed the dvd drive, ssd and hdd, connected data and power cables.
I think all thats left is the front panel wires, the wireless adapter (which yells that you must install the software prior to physically connecting it...pain in the ass, that)... And the OS.

any set up tips? do I need to do anything fancy in the bios before I install w7?