The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-18-2004, 05:01 PM   #11
mrnoodle
bent

Do I get to vote, even though I picked em? Remember, every vote counts, and count every vote. Being a Gen X'er, I'm typically apathetic when votes are being taken on anything. However, being told I can't vote will whip me into a righteous lather and I'll probably write a song (in the style of Rage Against the Machine). Fear my angst.

I kind of want to vote for Evil, since that book is more likely to induce left wing sputtering, which amuses me to no end. On the other hand, political bickering gets tiresome after about 5 responses, and this has to last a month. Sean's not the best writer in the world either.

Cowboy is fun, because it triggers my nature-boy instincts, which sometimes run contrary to my general political leanings. I'm likely to contradict myself at some point, since I like capitalism and trees almost equally, so I'll actually have to think before I speak. It's also the deepest from a literary standpoint, with lots of bookworm stuff to talk about.

Ghost is also well written; actually, it's one of the best in the WWII genre. It's not a cheerleading exercise, in fact there are several passages critical of American military policy and the racial mindset of the time. Since it's about war, though, a debate about Iraq is bound to surface at some point, which will invoke the 5-responses-till-horse-is-beat law. Maybe, maybe not.

There is, however, one trump card for Deliver Us from Evil. Sean Hannity rules, and when people put their noses in the air at him it makes my right wing flap like mad. So I'm going to invert my vote

1) Evil
2) Ghost
3) Cowboy

edited to note that Evil Ghost Cowboy would be an excellent name for a band. As would Vote for Evil. Sincere apologies to Dave Barry.
mrnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote