The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-12-2013, 03:15 PM   #10
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

The $100K is the default amount for a subsidized term life insurance policy (SGLI) that military personnel have the option of buying. First responders would get what they bargained for in their civilian contracts. Victims would get what they purchased privately. Life insurance policies without war exclusions have been available for as long as I can remember and I've known military personnel who went the commercial route because they didn't trust the government to come through on the policy it offered.

The problem arises when the government subsidizes higher death benefits to some segments of the population than others such as the families of civilian victims receiving substantially more than the families of military service members. Politics then makes for second class citizens.

OTOH, I don't have any problem with the government subsidizing the death benefits and health care costs of first responders and civilian casualties, in such paramilitary situations, and bringing their incident connected death and injury benefits up to what military personnel get.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote