The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-14-2004, 08:54 AM   #1
Pete
Resident President

Can't .. Stand .. Dial-up.. any .. long .. er

OK - Despite Griff's comment about not needing cable or dish we are finally losing our patience with dial-up internet. Grifftopia doesn't have cable, so our only choice for broadband is satellite.

I did some research yesterday and found that the prices are all in a similar ballpark. I was wondering if any of you had any experience with this.

I basically found three companies:
EarthLink - The most expensive. I've heard that their cable service is really good but I don't know anything about their dishes.

Starband - Could be the cheapest in the long run if I go for a long term contract. (3 years+)

DirecWay - Biggest name out there. Associated with DirecTV. Best short term price. But they don't include any web space (I've heard free web space is a pain) and the Starband dealer told be the dishes are chintzy.

For future growth: we'll probably network in the kids in few years (I think they can all handle this). I'd like to have the option of telecommuting if the opportunity comes up. I've heard VPN doesn't work well with dishes but I did see some software available to make it work better ???
AND - Mr. "I don't watch TV" is likely to change his tune during the next World Cup summer. DirecWay can use the same dish for internet and DirecTV. Starband requires two dishes (hate to clutter up Grifftopia). I don't know about EarthLink.

OK - Time to inundate me with opinions, knowledge, experience ...

GO
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote