The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 12-17-2006, 10:30 PM   #16
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I'm afraid I have to agree with Jay on this one. Aren't there plenty of other threads where people can discuss gun laws?
Old 12-17-2006, 11:10 PM   #17
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

No, it seems all the other threads have Aussies and Brits ragging on Americans for being gun-happy.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 11:17 PM   #18
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

It's not just australians and brits UT. Some of your countrymen feel the same way.

In any case, the point here is that what has happened to these women has been shocking.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:02 AM   #19
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

I am afraid Jay does not have the right of it. One prostitute with one pistol and one or more well placed bullets -- that ends the threat to their lives, does it not? Armed self defense is as natural a right as unarmed self defense would be, and one that Parliament tyrannously tore away from you, and which you are going to have to wrest back, and permanently, if you desire to live in a free society and not A Clockwork Orange.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:11 AM   #20
NoBoxes

A counter-argument possibly being found in a movie quote ...

"If God didn't want them sheared, He would not have made them sheep."

Last edited by NoBoxes; 12-18-2006 at 02:44 AM.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:42 AM   #21
rkzenrage

*Loving and healing energy goes out to all whom suffer through this time and who have lost loved ones*
Old 12-18-2006, 03:56 AM   #22
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMcGee
However, you are probally right in that the perpetuor/s is/are some kind of morally deranged 'vigilante' person/group.
Maybe, but what other group of women will steal off to a secluded place with a stranger, willingly?
Old 12-18-2006, 02:37 PM   #23
Phil
Hoodoo Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Maybe, but what other group of women will steal off to a secluded place with a stranger, willingly?

have you been out on a Saturday night recently? a few drinks, a bite to eat, a taxi home ... cheaper than paying a prostitute but no less worthy of a judgemental statement.
there are many, many reasons for women (and men) to turn to prostitution. there's a story behind every woman's decision (not always a choice) to enter into this "profession". the least society could do is everything possible to protect them.
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 04:29 PM   #24
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
What relevance is that?

We should have gone with the 'safe-zone' idea. It was shelved to avoid adverse publicity. Girls who work that trade are no less deserving of consideration and protection than anybody else. If a mine caves in and kills a bunch of miners, we do not wag our collective finger and say, yes but what other kind of men would steal off underground and put themselves in danger.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 04:35 PM   #25
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

News reports here say that the police have a suspect in custody, a grocery store worker who lives on the edge of town.

What's the latest on this? Have they beaten a confession out of him yet?
Old 12-18-2006, 04:44 PM   #26
Phil
Hoodoo Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
News reports here say that the police have a suspect in custody, a grocery store worker who lives on the edge of town.

What's the latest on this? Have they beaten a confession out of him yet?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/suffolk/6189409.stm

hopefully the perpetrator and not a convenient scape goat. its too early to know, and i really hope the media hype is not going to jepardise (sp?) what should be a fair and thorough trial.
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 06:43 PM   #27
JayMcGee
Cardigan-wearing man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
No, it seems all the other threads have Aussies and Brits ragging on Americans for being gun-happy.

mmmm.... One the one hand, it does cast our serial killers in a better light, in that without the ready access to fire-arms, they have to work harder to co-erce/cajole the victims into the life-threatening situation. And then of course there's the method of despatch itself... without fire-arms, one has to be much more inventive. Strike one more for the Brits (and Aussies). I guess that the readily and widespread availablity of guns in the US has, to a large extent, removed the elegance and originality from homicide as it is practised in the USA.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:50 PM   #28
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay yesterday
Take your 'guns are glorious' thoughts elsewere.... this is not the right thread for that discusion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha
I'm afraid I have to agree with Jay on this one. Aren't there plenty of other threads where people can discuss gun laws?
Ali, what Jay was saying is that this thread is fine for discussion of gun issues, but only if you have opinions that Jay agrees with.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:58 PM   #29
JayMcGee
Cardigan-wearing man

sorry, UT, I was gettin' bored....

(mmmm..... now, if only I had a gun, I could perhaps make you agree with me...)
Old 12-18-2006, 07:05 PM   #30
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Don't be silly Jay, you live in England. If you had a gun surely it would have been stolen by now. :P