The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 06-17-2007, 06:02 PM   #1
rkzenrage

Baby pole dancin'... tha' pocalypse

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...&in_page_id=17
Tesco condemned for selling pole dancing toy

Quote:
Tesco has been forced to remove a pole-dancing kit from the toys and games section of its website... advertises the kit with the words, "Unleash the sex kitten inside...simply extend the Peekaboo pole inside the tube, slip on the sexy tunes and away you go!

"Soon you'll be flaunting it to the world and earning a fortune in Peekaboo Dance Dollars".

Mother of two Karen Gallimore was searching for Christmas gifts for her two daughters,
Laura 10, and Sarah, 11, when she came across the 'toy'

Quote:
Tesco today agreed to remove the product from the Toy section of the site, but said it will remain on sale as a Fitness Accessory, despite the fact that the product description invites users to "unleash the sex kitten inside".

Also on sale on the Tesco website is a strip poker game, "Peekaboo Poker" which is illustrated by a picture of a reclining woman in underwear.

So mad I can't think straight.
It is so hard to offend me there are no words for it... this is the first time I can remember since the early 90's.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:00 PM   #2
jinx
Come on, cat.

I can't believe you're pissed off by this. Where does it say its for kids? Who would think for one second that it is? Its an 8.5ft pole with a video. If your kid asks for one, say no.
The idiots in the story were so offended by seeing this pole they had to sit down and take a family portrait?

Ohhh, won't someone think of the children???!!!
Old 06-17-2007, 08:08 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

This happened last year when the Christmas toys came in and people were unhappy because they were sold in the toys and games section of the store.
Tesco says they are marketed to adults.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:09 PM   #4
rkzenrage

Yup, that is what they said.

Quote:
Also on sale on the Tesco website is a strip poker game, "Peekaboo Poker" which is illustrated by a picture of a reclining woman in underwear.

The card game is is described as a game that "risks the risque and brings a whole lot of naughtiness to the table.

"Played with a unique pack of Peekaboo Boy and Girl playing cards, the aim of the game is to win as many Peekaboo chips as possible and turn them into outrageously naughty fun."

The pole dance kit is the latest item to fuel allegations that major retailers increasingly sell products which "sexualise" young children such as T-shirts with suggestive messages.

In recent years Asda was forced to remove from sale pink and black lace lingerie, including a push-up bra to girls as young as nine.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:10 PM   #5
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx
The idiots in the story were so offended by seeing this pole they had to sit down and take a family portrait?
Awesome.

That's what we're going to do from now on, anytime someone pisses us off we're going to take a really serious group photo. It would make an awesome slideshow!
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 01:17 PM   #6
rkzenrage

"This is when the drive-thu lady cussed in front of Amy..."
Pretty sure the press made-em' do it... but it is still an AWESOME idea.
100 years from now your relatives will be the subjects of a genome project to see if they are all pissed-off all the time after your family album is discovered.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:21 PM   #7
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I guess the Christmas photo with the kids decked out in their lederhosen and candy cane hats didn't convey the anger they wanted to illustrate. Look at mom! She's vewy vewy mad!
Old 06-18-2007, 01:34 PM   #8
Hime
Extraordinary Machine

I don't see anything to suggest that the product was marketed to kids... toys and games was probably the wrong section of the store to put it in, but that seems to me more like a careless error than an active attempt to sexualize children. It sounds more like a party game for the college/twentysomething set.
Hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 03:18 PM   #9
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

It was on the website - there just isn't a section for Adult Toys and Games, so perhaps it was in an inappropriate area, but it certainly wasn't aimed at children. After all - you have to have a credit card to shop at Tesco online - how many under 18s will be browsing? I'm not suggesting they should start including Rampant Rabbits in the Toy section, but I think the family in question were overdosing a little on righteous disgust by finding it necessary to contact the national press.

I expect it will become received wisdom that Tesco peddled pole-dancing kits to pre-pubescent girls, which makes me wonder exactly how realistic the description of Asda selling padded bras to nine year olds is...

Last edited by Sundae; 06-18-2007 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Changed none to nine
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 03:46 PM   #10
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
...I expect it will become received wisdom...
Like the "common knowledge" that Al Gore "said he invented the internet" ...people will bring this up, and when I don't immediately jump on board with what they're saying, they start "explaining" to me that they've "heard the quote" etc. ...They seem puzzled when I tell them I've heard the quote, I have an MP3 of the quote on my computer, and he doesn't actually say that he invented the internet. They insist they "heard him say it" ...

...But what they are actually repeating to me is what other people said about the quote, IE the interpretation, the desire to humiliate a public figure, the attempt to be funny or have some cultural trivia, or the basic say anything bad about the guy from the other party. People aren't big on details.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 04:04 PM   #11
deadbeater
Sir Post-A-Lot

At least it is not as bad as putting 'La Blue Girl' and other hentai in the kids' video section, as I have seen in several media outlets.
deadbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 04:05 PM   #12
rkzenrage

Wow.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:48 PM   #13
deadbeater
Sir Post-A-Lot

Wow is right. Makes me feel almost guilty standing next to the boy looking for the latest 'Dragon Ball Z'.
deadbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 02:29 PM   #14
Hime
Extraordinary Machine

hehehe... on cable TV they don't distinguish a lot between kids' anime and not-for-kids anime, either. So when my brother and I were teenagers and going through a big anime phase, my mom decided that it would be nice to record some for us from cable.

I think she was scarred for life by Wicked City.
Hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:44 PM   #15
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Mrs Gallimore, 33, of Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, said yesterday: "I'm no prude,...
they never are, are they?

Quote:
Dr Adrian Rogers, of family campaigning group Family Focus said yesterday that the kit would "destroy children's lives".

He said: "Tesco is Britain's number one chain, this is extremely dangerous. It is an open invitation to turn the youngest children on to sexual behaviour.

"This will be sold to four, five and six-year olds. This is a most dangerous toy that will contribute towards destroying children's innocence."

He added: "Children are being encouraged to dance round a pole which is interpreted in the adult world as a phallic symbol.

"It ought to be stopped, it really requires the intervention of members of Parliament. This should only be available to the most depraved people who want to corrupt their children."
So if people are depraved and want to corrupt their children, that's OK then?

This guy is off his trolley and clearly gets a woody for the sound of his own voice. Who would buy it for a 4 year old?

If they want to preserve the sexual innocence of children/stop sexualizing them, they should start with banning bikinis for little girls. When sold in size aged 3, they are clearly not aimed at adult, so that should be pretty easy to prove. But wait. There's no shock factor and some people might object on the grounds of...well... they wore a bikini when they were little and it didn't do them any harm and and and......

This is a pathetic publicity stunt. Yes, Tescos should perhaps have put a little more thought into their store layout.