Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 06-07-2008, 08:04 PM   #16
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
Actually milk is not the best way to consume calcium, it is just the most culturally recognised and easiest to get children to swallow.
Yeah, it's hard to persuade the govt to back a "Give daddy a bj campaign" and the little sods tend to spit anyway.....
Old 06-07-2008, 08:07 PM   #17
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Jinx, I think you are talking about this:
Quote:
Is Dairy a good source of Calcium?
Calcium from milk and milk products is absorbed at a higher percentage rate
than calcium from inorganic supplements because of the cofactors found in the
milk. However, the high animal protein content, fat, pesticides, and bovine growth
hormones in the milk make it less than desirable to consume.
http://www.uswellnessmeats.com/Calci..._and_Facts.pdf

{note the link is a non-meat eating supporting site so there may be a bit of biased info on it.}

There is a big dispute between the Vegans and the Meat Eaters concerning the role that proteins play. As you can imagine there is quite a bit of contradicting information on the internet. Generally most agree that high or large amounts of protein of any kind, not only animal, can contribute to calcium loss. That is the part they don't tell you and the emphasis on the "animal" portion is another ploy to discourage meat eating and encourage their own lifestyle. Whatever. Eat right, include lots of veggies and fruits and eat in moderation we should all be healthier. There is no promise you will not die of heart disease or cancer because of it, but you may feel better to the bitter end.

This seems like a fairly balanced article that anyone should be able to understand:

http://www.rd.com/how-to-get-the-cal...icle10686.html
Old 06-07-2008, 08:09 PM   #18
monster

jinx quotesd:
Those who drank more than three eight-ounce servings of milk a day gained the most weight, even after the researchers took into consideration factors such as physical activity, other dietary factors and growth. The association held, even though most of the children were drinking low-fat milk.

"That was surprising," Berkey said. "Apparently this applies to any kind of milk."

More than three glasses. Not any, but More than three glasses. Aren't kids who drink that much likely to be over-consumers in general and therefore likely to be fat? Not necessarily because of the milk. Three glasses is quite a lot. My kids are milk drinkers, but I doubt they manage that much each day. One on the cereal, one when they get home from school and maybe one with dinner.

You didn't mention who funds the group producing this reasearch. soy milk producers, perhaps?
Old 06-07-2008, 08:15 PM   #19
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Jinx, I think you are talking about this:
No, I'm talking about high protein levels (from any source) raising the acidity of the body - causing the body to leech calcium from the bones to neutralize it.

The growth hormones, pesticides, dioxins, Igf1, etc. are just extra nasties to consider when choosing a beverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstah
You didn't mention who funds the group producing this reasearch. soy milk producers, perhaps?
[Ar least] One of the studies that found no weight loss difference between its high and low dairy consuming participants was funded by the dairy council - they don't quote that one in their commercials though.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:19 PM   #20
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
No, I'm talking about high protein levels (from any source) raising the acidity of the body - causing the body to leech calcium from the bones to neutralize it.

[Ar least] One of the studies that found no weight loss difference between its high and low dairy consuming participants was funded by the dairy council - they don't quote that one in their commercials though.
no weight loss difference is not the same as weight gain....

but still, I imagine most reasearch on milk is funded at least in part by the dairy peeps. I'd be more concerned if they weren't funding any...
Old 06-07-2008, 08:20 PM   #21
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
no weight loss difference is not the same as weight gain....
Different study - different conclusion.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:24 PM   #22
monster

different sponsors? :p
Old 06-07-2008, 08:37 PM   #23
jinx
Come on, cat.

The first study was performed by Catherine S. Berkey of Harvard Medical School and Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston. You can google thier bias if you're interested. I did.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:46 PM   #24
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I used to know a nurse at Brigham & Women's, that liked... nevermind
Old 06-07-2008, 09:18 PM   #25
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

I still submit there is bias on both sides of the issue. There is no doubt that protein plays a role in the loss of calcium from the body. It is much more complicated than a simple "if this, than this". Most researchers are sponsored by someone for their published research regardless of what school they hail from. JMHO.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:43 PM   #26
Cloud

Moderation, as usual, is probably key. Here's what Dr. Weil says on the topic, and he's a pretty moderate alternative physician:

Quote:
The notion that milk is good for all of us throughout life has been fostered by the dairy industry. Except for people of northern European origin, most adults worldwide can't digest lactose, the natural sugar in milk. This is because as we mature, our bodies stop making the enzyme that breaks it down. As a result, many may develop gas, cramps and/or diarrhea whenever milk is consumed.

But lactose intolerance isn't the only problem with milk and milk products. The milk protein, casein, can irritate the immune system and stimulate mucus production, worsening allergy symptoms. This is why milk consumption is associated with recurrent childhood ear infections, eczema, chronic bronchitis, asthma, and sinus conditions. Even those who are not allergic to milk, like people who have autoimmune diseases or digestive problems, may find that their symptoms improve when they eliminate milk and milk products.
advertisement

Substituting soy or rice milk for cow's milk isn't as simple as it sounds. Rice milk contains little protein and for that reason is not a good milk substitute for children, unless you add other protein sources to their diets. Soy milk is protein-rich and can work well as a milk substitute, but you may have to experiment with different brands to find one with a taste you like. Although soy milk is high in calcium, it doesn't provide as much as cow's milk so look for a calcium-fortified brand. I also recommend that you buy organic soy products and look for soy milk brands that do not contain the thickening agent carrageenan, a seaweed derivative, which I do not view as safe. If you're watching your weight, choose from among the many available low-fat products.

Andrew Weil, M.D.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:03 AM   #27
Pie
Gone and done

My mother was a great believer in milk. Till I left her house (at 17) I was required to drink three 12-oz glasses of 2% milk per day -- breakfast, lunch and dinner. I certainly didn't want that much milk, but it was a requirement.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:28 PM   #28
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Ditch the excessive soda drinking ( like me- burp) j/k

and ditch the excessive fast food, hotdogs,chips,cookies ect, get more activity in and keep the milk.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 02:26 PM   #29
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Yeah, it's hard to persuade the govt to back a "Give daddy a bj campaign" and the little sods tend to spit anyway.....
Ummmm, I was thinking more tofu or broccoli...
Old 06-09-2008, 10:27 AM   #30
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I've always heard that even 1% milk has more fat than we really need; the perception that you've gone all the way down to 1 % is misleading. I found the following chart:
Attached Images