The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 12-21-2001, 02:23 PM   #136
warch
lurkin old school

buck up Griff...I love mandolins..
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 02:24 PM   #137
dave

Whatever. Al seriously is just a big girl at heart. That whole heroin/"Just one Fix" bs is just a facade, and you bought it, sucka. Hank wins without breaking a sweat.
Old 12-21-2001, 03:12 PM   #138
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by dhamsaic
Whatever. Al seriously is just a big girl at heart. That whole heroin/"Just one Fix" bs is just a facade, and you bought it, sucka. Hank wins without breaking a sweat.
Whatever settles the voices in your head man.

Of course, I don't own With Sympathy, nor would I make an excuse about it being given to me as a gift.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 03:36 PM   #139
dave

Sycamore,
You
Certainly have
A problem or two (or
More!) with admitting that,
Of the two (Hank
Rollins and Hypo Luxa),
Evidence more strongly supports Hank.

Less than one percent
Of those surveyed (and we survey only
Very intelligent and
Erudite people) think
Stinky Al could beat Hank.

So, you
Can shove your
Al Jourgenson up your poop
Tube.

Old 12-21-2001, 11:58 PM   #140
elSicomoro

Quote:
*babble*
Get this guy a therapist!

So, anyhoo...

24-7 Spyz--Gumbo Millenium: Rock cranked out by black folk. They were out around the time of Living Colour...even got signed to a major label in the early 90s. Where as Living Colour did some noise experimentation, Spyz blended some jazz and reggae into their music. The rock songs rock out. The mellower songs lean toward cheesy, but they're still good. As a whole, the songs range from socially conscious to downright silly. A good balance.

Terence Trent D'Arby--Vibrator and Symphony or Damn: TTD could have become a huge pop star. The first thing that stopped him was his big head after "Wishing Well" came out. The second was that he makes great music that cannot be put into one category. Rock, funk, ballads, whatever...you'll find an ample mix of all of them on both CDs. He has recently adopted the name Sananda and released a new album in October called WildCard, his first release in over 6 years. I love both these albums for the fact that the music is all over the place, although I lean more towards Vibrator.
Old 12-22-2001, 12:02 AM   #141
dave

You got the hidden message, right?
Old 12-22-2001, 12:05 AM   #142
elSicomoro

Quote:
You got the hidden message, right?
Yes...now dham, I only have a Bachelors degree in Psychology. I am by no means a therapist, but this sounds like a classic case of projection to me.
Old 12-22-2001, 10:48 AM   #143
dave

Actually, it goes back to a running joke between a couple of friends and myself.

I never knew the meaning of the word until I was looking for a Scatman John website (remember him?) and accidentally stumbled on to... scatlovers.com.

Ugh.
Old 12-23-2001, 12:51 AM   #144
elSicomoro

Gift certificates rule

Linkin Park--Hybrid Theory: Based upon the 3 songs I've heard off this album, I decided to buy the album. It rocks. It's short though...12 songs, 37 minutes.

Prince--The Rainbow Children: I bought this for Rho as a surprise when she comes home tomorrow...Prince is one of her favorite artists. I dig him too, but Prince has just gotten progressively weirder since the release of the "symbol" album in 1992, although his last album was surprisingly down-to-earth. This is his first one back as "Prince." And it's REALLY off the wall. It's essentially a freeform jazz album mixed with a bit of funk and rock. This album would be really good, if he didn't use efx to make his voice sound like the devil at times.
Old 12-23-2001, 09:13 AM   #145
Scopulus Argentarius
Your current user title is:

What about Bob Wills....

??
Scopulus Argentarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2001, 05:23 PM   #146
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by Scopulus Argentarius
What about Bob Wills....
Never heard of him until you mentioned his name. However, based upon the info I was just reading about him, it sounds like something I would dig, given that I like old-school country. Unfortunately, my realplayer is not working at the moment, so I couldn't listen to the clips I found on this one site.

Thanks sa!

Now then, going from Linkin Park to...

Frank Sinatra--Duets II: Of course, one of the greats. I can thank my grandmother and aunt for giving me a start in musical variety as a child. I like this one better than the first one, although they're both great. I liked the variety of people he used on both CDs (from Lena Horne to Bono to his own son). Bono said it best a few years back..."Frank has swagger."

Swingers soundtrack--One of my favorite soundtracks, up there with the ones for Pulp Fiction and Singles. This was one of those moments where the soundtrack AND the movie were both great.
Old 12-23-2001, 09:24 PM   #147
dave

Guns N' Roses - <b>Appetite for Destruction</b> - awww yeah. Classic goodness. Was also listening to <b>GN'R Lies</b> - <i>Used to Love Her</i> is still one of my favorite GN'R songs. Good stuff.
Old 12-23-2001, 11:50 PM   #148
elSicomoro

David Byrne--Feelings: I think I like his solo CDs more than his work with the Talking Heads. I love the way he takes various styles and weaves them together. With this record, he went out and got the guys from Morcheeba to help him out on 6 of the songs.

Nitzer Ebb--Belief: Nitzer Ebb finds melody on their 2nd CD. This CD is 13 years old now, but it holds up surprisingly well.
Old 12-24-2001, 08:41 AM   #149
dave

Say something once? Why say it again?
Old 12-25-2001, 10:13 PM   #150
elSicomoro

Alanis Morissette--Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie

The Brian Setzer Orchestra--The Dirty Boogie: His new spin on "Rock This Town" is excellent.

Recoil--Bloodline and Liquid: Recoil is the project of Alan Wilder, formerly of Depeche Mode. He released 3 EPs before leaving DM in 1995 and devoting all his time to the project. Bloodline (the 3rd Recoil EP) came out in 1992, and features Moby, Doug McCarthy (of Nitzer Ebb), and Toni Halliday (of Curve) on vocals. Liquid is his second full-length CD (and the 2nd release since leaving DM) and features vocalists that really aren't worth mentioning.

Incidentally, the Recoil site is great, and, at least when I frequented it more, he was rather interactive with the fans. He also has a mailing list through Yahoo! Groups, which is not really worth subscribing to. Recoil fans are a twisted lot...many of them hate Depeche Mode since Alan left...and truth be told, I find Alan to be a bit of a whiny bitch about DM after his departure. In any case, I was on said mailing list for a few months in 1998, but found it a bit too disturbing. A couple of folks from there post a monthly summary of the mailing list happenings to the website, and I happened to find a couple with me in them...heh:

From August 1998: "Duck discussed his deep love of, and history with Erasure, while Sycamore composed a page designed to trash them." (That was a trip...the minute I set up the Erasure Anti-Fan Club, I got a mix of laughs and hate mail.)

I've got more Madden to play now...

Last edited by elSicomoro; 12-25-2001 at 10:18 PM.