The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 03-13-2009, 12:36 PM   #136
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I'm sure they would have loved to expose this story, but do they have reporters actively monitoring all the cases going on in the state? That's how you find a story like this. It doesn't just land in your lap unless someone gives it to you.

There are always ways a story like this could come to light without traditional local papers, but I'm just sad to see that one source declining. It makes it less likely that a small local story like this sees the light of day.
Yep. The folding of newspapers around the country marks a very sad day for investigative journalism. Young, green reporters don't have the contacts to get the real dirt on some things. With the demise of newspapers looming over us, so goes the demise of democracy.

And, I actually like to read a newspaper. I read a lot less online, because I like the feel of a book or newspaper in my hands, the turning of the page, etc.. I find that when I read online, my attention span is much worse, and I have a harder time concetrating.
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote