The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 05-15-2006, 12:30 AM   #136
Ibby
erika

Snap? That's why I play music. Metal is a great medium for venting, as long as you dont try to overangst it. A ballsy riff's a lot better than whiney, bitching lyrics.
Ibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:27 AM   #137
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage
I'm flattered.

You're cute, but I'm married.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:21 PM   #138
Kitsune
still eats dirt

On 9/11 I was sent home from the office because it was not only feared that general infrastructure might be targeted, but also because no one was getting anything done and management felt it better to just send everyone home to cope. After general confusion, several hours worth of news and making sure my friends in DC were safe, I went out with a group of people to grab a burger and a drink to get our minds off of what happened. Following that, I noticed something strange in all of the horror: since I knew everyone important to me was okay, everything took on the soft calm of a snow day and, for some moments, I kind of enjoyed it. No work, no traffic, no aircraft rumbling overhead on approach to TIA. Everything had been interrupted, everyone had gone home and it was quieter than Christmas morning.

I made a pot of tea, killed the TV, and curled up with a book. I feel guilty as hell for taking the time to enjoy it.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 01:40 PM   #139
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
...so it is important that you get yourself to the range so when you snap you can do some good.
And make sure you're in a red state.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:22 PM   #140
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Everything had been interrupted, everyone had gone home and it was quieter than Christmas morning.
I made a pot of tea, killed the TV, and curled up with a book. I feel guilty as hell for taking the time to enjoy it.

Why guilty Kit , what could you have done ???

What you were experencing was the calm AFTER the storm .
Old 05-15-2006, 07:25 PM   #141
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune
On 9/11 I was sent home from the office . . . .
On 9/11 I worked my normal hours, as did my wife. Neither of us was doing anything super-critical, but we both had plenty normal stuff to do, unrelated to 9/11. We considered picking our daughter up early (she went to on-site after school care) but decided that in the absence of any new of possible attacks on Philadelphia, that the best thing to do was to maintain normal routine as much as possible.

When I got there to pick her up at 5:30ish, she was the only kid left in the whole school; everybody else had been picked up, most of them hours ago.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 07:41 PM   #142
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

on 9/11 I went to work on a State truck scale , when I steped in the door , one of the state troopers looked at me and said " well , I bet your GLAD your name isn't AchMed !!"
Old 05-15-2006, 07:42 PM   #143
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDallas
When I got there to pick her up at 5:30ish, she was the only kid left in the whole school; everybody else had been picked up, most of them hours ago.
Only kid left in the whole school? Poor kid.

For me, I walked home from work at noon or so. Took a few hours, but it was a glorious Fall day, so it was actually pretty nice. Got home and left the TV off. Went to the playground with my wife and daughter. Enjoyed the nice fall day. No peace and quiet, though. Lots of fighter jets flying back and forth like angry hornets.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 07:53 PM   #144
jinx
Come on, cat.

We were on vacation. Jim turned on the TV and woke me up... we watched the second tower get hit, watched for a little longer and then hit the beach. Didn't know what else to do...
Old 05-15-2006, 08:04 PM   #145
busterb
NSABFD

I was doing some welding work for a friend of mind, one of the space cadets that worked for him came into shop and told me about it. My first thought was, this butthole has been watching war of the worlds. Later I went into office and saw on tv. Damn who'da have thought it was true.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:13 PM   #146
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot
First thing in the morning I can get out of bed, stand up and put my palms flat on the ground.
Careful now. That's exactly what I did, only in the garden over a period of 2 days "Hyper-extension" was what my doctor called it, and added that he had never seen anybody do that before (I've always been able to put both hands on the floor because I'm very short-waisted). Now I can't sit in a chair without severe pain, but it's supposed to gradually heal. Oh well, at least it wasn't the DVT again, that would have been much worse.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:53 PM   #147
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonchi
Careful now. That's exactly what I did, only in the garden over a period of 2 days "Hyper-extension" was what my doctor called it, and added that he had never seen anybody do that before (I've always been able to put both hands on the floor because I'm very short-waisted). Now I can't sit in a chair without severe pain, but it's supposed to gradually heal. Oh well, at least it wasn't the DVT again, that would have been much worse.
Two days!? Did someone bring you meals? Holy cats. I usually only do it when I've had a few beers and want to show off, therefore I doubt I could do it for two days. I just could't drink that much beer w/o feeling bloated.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:58 PM   #148
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

9/11, going into work late. Had one shoe on when CBS morning show said a plane had hit the WTC and cut to a roof camera that was too far away to see anything clearly. Sat at my desk watching the bedroom TV... with one shoe on.... for the rest of the day.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:22 AM   #149
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

Footsie, no, it wasn't like I slept in the yard in that position, it was a crash attempt to get all the weeds pulled and the bedding plants in the ground before the unusually cool weather ended. I thought it would not be as hard on my scoliosis if I bent straight down from the waist and shuffled along that way, and it actually did not cause me any back pain at all. But by the second day my left knee wouldn't bend and all the muscles in the back of my legs felt as if somebody had inserted white-hot spikes. Since only my knee was swollen, they decided it was not DVT, thank God, just me failing to realize that I am too old to do acrobatics anymore. My doctor said it hurt just to watch me demonstrate what I was doing to cause the problem, but I didn't know it was that unusual. This pain thing really sucks, though. It never goes away and if something touches against my leg the muscles go into spasms
Old 05-16-2006, 10:51 AM   #150
mrnoodle
bent

9/11 I was about to leave for work and turned on the TV right after the first plane had hit the tower and no one was sure what had really happened yet. Watched the 2nd one hit.

I was working at the big game processing place, and the boss (a Korean War-era vet) sent everyone to the gas station across the street and filled our vehicles. He was a little freaked out, as we all were, but he reverted to his military training and was taking care of his "troops". It was kind of touching. I remember he said, "Gas is going to go through the roof over this. I bet it hits $5.00 a gallon." It was maybe $1.65/gal then. He died earlier this year...I wonder if he knew how close he was to being right, albeit late?