The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 08-31-2008, 10:14 PM   #136
warch
lurkin old school

Why not Michelle Bachman?! Dang. I must admit, I thought the affable (and more experienced) Gov Pawlenty was the threat.

Heckuvajob.
I think it is a very appropriate choice that highlights the caliber of decision making we might expect from a Pres. McCain (or his handlers).
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:50 AM   #137
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
And I won't believe anything new I hear in the last week before polling either. Standard trick - trott out some slander at the last moment when there is no opportunity to disprove it.
The Alaska ethics investigation report is due 4 days before the election.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:53 AM   #138
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Just out of curiosity, does anyone here know what the VP does, day-to-day?
I don't... a rough idea what the VP's duties are, but not the day-to-day routine. I would imagine it amounts to following an itinerary handed to him/her by the staff, and knowing how to act appropriately in each of those situations as they arise.
The duties will vary depending on the President. With the absurd growth in the power of the executive branch the VP's role has been increasing. Mondale apparently had a large role in the Carter administration, while W has had a significant role in the Cheney adm. I expect that the next VP will have a role in whatever area of expertise they have. Biden will likely be the foreign policy guy and a channel to Congress. Pallin will have to define herself.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:47 AM   #139
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Well that's that. Reuters:
Quote:
The 17-year-old daughter of the Republican vice-presidential candidate, Governor Sarah Palin of Alaska, is pregnant, Palin said Monday in an announcement intended to knock down rumors by liberal bloggers that Palin faked her own pregnancy to cover up for her child.

Bristol Palin, one of Palin’s five children with her husband, Todd, is about five months pregnant and is going to keep the child and marry the father, the Palins said in a statement released by the campaign of Senator John McCain.
She didn't give birth 4 months ago, because she's five months pregnant now.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:48 AM   #140
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Phew.
Oh wait - I mean, oh dear.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:38 PM   #141
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

The question is, is there a point at which the candidates private life affects their public life.

After the rumors about he covering for her teenage daughters pregnancy, it is now confirmed that her teenage daughter is pregnant.

One of the reasons McCain picked her was to appeal to social conservatives. Her answers to the 'abstinence only education' question during the vice presidential debate should be very informative. Even without Biden bringing her personal experience into it, the subtext will be there.

When the commentators mentioned her flying home during her 'labor' as an example of toughness, my wife looked shocked. It might actually be better for her if she wasn't pregnant and was covering for her daughter. Trying to sell her to women conservatives as an effective mom and politician are going to be difficult.

It's going to be an interesting two months.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:31 PM   #142
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy
When the commentators mentioned her flying home during her 'labor' as an example of toughness, my wife looked shocked. It might actually be better for her if she wasn't pregnant and was covering for her daughter. Trying to sell her to women conservatives as an effective mom and politician are going to be difficult.
I have to assume your wife is not conservative, right? It's a little weird that you transpose her reaction into a belief about how people who are not like her will react. The statement the Pallins gave said,

Quote:
Our beautiful daughter Bristol came to us with news that as parents we knew would make her grow up faster than we had ever planned. We're proud of Bristol's decision to have her baby and even prouder to become grandparents... Bristol and the young man she will marry are going to realize very quickly the difficulties of raising a child, which is why they will have the love and support of our entire family.
which is completely in line with their political beliefs, and the official social conservative reaction so far is:

Quote:
Focus on the Family founder James Dobson issued a statement commending the Palins for "for not just talking about their pro-life and pro-family values, but living them out even in the midst of trying circumstances." He added: "Being a Christian does not mean you're perfect. Nor does it mean your children are perfect. But it does mean there is forgiveness and restoration when we confess our imperfections to the Lord."
It's a non-story, and won't affect her standing with social conservatives at all, just like Cheney's lesbian daughter didn't.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:53 PM   #143
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
I have to assume your wife is not conservative, right? It's a little weird that you transpose her reaction into a belief about how people who are not like her will react.
You mean non-mothers? I guess we could do a poll and ask mothers how many of them would board a plane in labor during a high risk pregnancy.

Her private life is part of the story. It always will be for candidates. Who your minister is, where you went to school, and how you are perceived as raising your family.

It is true that people let politicians who have been divorced multiple times can successfully run on a 'family values' ticket. This is something new.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
Old 09-01-2008, 04:03 PM   #144
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I absolutely agree that people's private lives, in general, affect their viability for public office. What I take issue with is your assertion of what this will mean, not for you as a voter, but for other people as voters. This "scandal" is not a scandal to social conservatives, but social liberals wish it were, because they think they see a perverse justice being served.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:48 PM   #145
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Her whole career has been spent talking about unrealistic things like abstinence. She's a holy roller trying to shove her Christian morality down everyone else's throats through legislation, and now it turns out, like most zealots, she's got her own problems to worry about.

Matthew 7: 1-5

1"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

3"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:48 PM   #146
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
What I take issue with is your assertion of what this will mean, not for you as a voter, but for other people as voters.
Why not? Should I limit speculation to liberal moderate males of my age. How about if I only speculate about the voting patterns of men born on my exact birth date?

I believe that anyone can be a political pundit and speculate about the voting habits and opinions of any group they want. Otherwise, we'd need an army of correspondents on Fox and MSNBC to represent every possible voting block in the country. And try to find an Albanian-American neocon pre-op transexual when news breaks on a Friday night in the Balkans.

I believe that independents will be rolling their eyes when she answers the 'abstinence only education' question in the debates. Hard core social conservatives may stay with her, but she will probably lose the more pragmatic ones.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:58 PM   #147
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
I didn't realize, they're letting Aussies vote this time around?
I've been arguing that for years.
The USA dictates our foreign policy.
The USA sets our trade policy.
The USA influences our environmental policy.
The USA strongly hints at our social policy.

I reckon we SHOULD have the right to vote for the prez of the USA.

(Okay guys, just kidding, but I assert the right to have an opinion about the candidates.)

I also note that I have twelve days left to learn how to spell Palin :p
Old 09-01-2008, 08:02 PM   #148
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
The Alaska ethics investigation report is due 4 days before the election.
What a remarkable coincidence.

I wonder how that will turn out. Clear her, condemn her, or be ambiguous, but I reckon by that time most people will have made up their minds.
It makes the choice of Palin seem very odd. Choosing someone who is currently under investigation for unethical behaviour, with the result as yet unknown. High risk.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:14 PM   #149
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
Choosing someone who is currently under investigation for unethical behaviour, with the result as yet unknown. High risk.
It actually might work out beautifully for him. Choose a running mate with possible issues that might force a resignation, including legal and/or family issues. Get elected. Either the family issue or the legal issue prompts VP to resign. Appoint the VP you originally wanted, but who couldn't get you elected.

Say hello to VP Lieberman in 18 months.

This would explain why McCain picked her while knowing about the investigation and her daughters pregnancy.

F***ing brilliant.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:23 PM   #150
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Brilliant ... provided it doesn't cost him the election.