The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 10-13-2011, 08:05 PM   #136
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Here ya go Lamp....
There were lots of different, divergent people there. They were mostly nice.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:07 PM   #137
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I posted the whole thing because it's genuine. It shows a real person and her son. It is about their experience in traveling from NW Ohio to Wall Street. They found it kind of scary at first, but then settled in. They were taken care of by the others around. It is an account of a vastly disparate group of people, all looking for things to change. Note, not for the same thing, this is not a herd of dittoheads. She says:

Quote:
I keep reading and hearing that "they" don't have a clear agenda. I think their agenda is perfectly clear, if not offically worded. It's a movement that wants less discrepency betweent the haves and the have-nots. I saw a group of people who want to fix what is wrong and getting wronger in American society.
and she saw that happening in person among the people present:
Quote:
In essence, the OWS people were doing their best to create a system similar to what they would like to see happen across the nation. People were stepping up and doing what needed to be done, based on their personal strengths and interests.
She saw lots of very different people and she was left with a sense of hope:

Quote:
I saw young people volunteering to clean toilets. I saw young people sweeping the sidewalks.

Some were dread lock wearing, drumming, incense burning hippies. Some were wearing Hollister. Most would not raise eyebrows on any street.

I saw young people writing, speaking, and reading. People were sharing literature. No one was asking for money. People were sharing.

So, yes, very revolutionary. I saw hundreds (maybe thousands? I have no clue) of people behaving in ways that would make any reasonable mother proud.

I saw a microcosm of what the USA should be like. I saw hope.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:10 PM   #138
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Thanks to both of you... now I'll go read V's posts with a better attitude
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:10 PM   #139
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
No, the top 20% also includes the top 1%.
Yep, I figured as much. Though I have seen other comments that make the same observation I made (101?? wtf?) and used that as the reason to disregard the whole idea. Those people have already closed their minds, sadly.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:23 PM   #140
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

When they have no rational argument against the cause, they'll snipe.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:11 PM   #141
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Here's another similar chart from a reliable source
What is the X axis?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:48 PM   #142
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Time.

The years from 1979 to 2007.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:12 AM   #143
SamIam

I came across the following when I was surfing the net, trying to find concrete solutions from the Right that would solve our economic malaise and unemployment problems. here's what Steve Forbes, CEO of Forbes Inc. and two-time Republican presidential contender had to say:

Quote:
But "it's not enough to say you're against deficits, bloated government and Obamacare. You've got to have something people see as positive."

True to form, Forbes says the GOP's path to the White House is paved with a "Reagan-esque pro-growth message," featuring a simplified tax code and less regulation, as well as a (true) strong dollar policy.

"Those are the kind of themes that will resonate," he says, citing former Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty's tax reform plan as a good example.

Last month, Pawlenty proposed cutting the corporate tax rate to 15% from 35% and the top individual income tax rate to 25% from 35% while eliminating taxes on capital gains, interest and dividends and repealing the estate tax.
Well, that would certainly perk up the bank accounts of a few people. Meanwhile, the rest of us are being called upon to sacrifice - foregoing or post poning a college education, accepting that more people will be living on the streets, and more children will be raised by parents at or below the poverty line. And that's just for starters.

Plus, the fairy tale is that the wealthy "producer" class will create more jobs if we just lower their taxes. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but when the W. administration lowered taxes for the wealthy in the previous decade, we saw very little - if any job creation. Oh, the financial and banking people had a blast, largely because the watchdogs were not on the job. But the rest of us have not been so lucky.

So, someone please explain to me how the 'pubs are going to get things running again for anyone besides themselves and their cronies in the legislature.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:26 AM   #144
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Today's NPR report had a bit on college debt. Basically there are protesters who think that their college debt is to much and they can't pay it back so they want some solution for that. Do they think they should be relieved of that debit because they can't find a job with their history degree that will pay back all their debit? Do they think the gobberment should pay it off for them? These people are getting wackier by the day....

Quote:
It may be hard to pin down exactly what the Occupy Wall Street protesters want, [noshit] but one of the sources of their frustration seems clear. Many of the demonstrators are drowning in student debt.
Rose Swidden came to Zuccotti Park in Lower Manhattan from upstate New York, where she is studying agriculture at SUNY Cobleskill. She expects to graduate in May with USD 35,000 in debt, and doesn`t know how she will pay it back.
"We did what we were told to do: go to college, get an education, you`ll get a job, you`ll get a house, you`ll be cool," she said. "And that`s what we did. And now here we are done with it-and now what?" [idiot]
One proposed list of demands for the Occupy Wall Street movement includes "free college tuition" and "immediate across the board forgiveness" of student debt. While neither demand may be very realistic, the student debt problem is very real.
http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/wor...ef_598557.html

These quotes alone show the complete and utter stupidity of these fools. Winter can't come soon enough.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:02 AM   #145
glatt

So you have more than one job, and you are criticizing people who are complaining that they can even get one job.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:08 AM   #146
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
So you have more than one job, and you are criticizing people who are complaining that they can even get one job.
I am not criticizing people for complaining about not getting a job here, or anywhere, as much as I am laughing at fools who think they should be relieved of college debt because they chose to study and get a degree in History and now think they shouldn't pay back their debt.

How many jobs I have is irrelevant.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:13 AM   #147
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
I am not criticizing people for complaining about not getting a job here, or anywhere, as much as I am laughing at fools who think they should be relieved of college debt because they chose to study and get a degree in History and now think they shouldn't pay back their debt.

How many jobs I have is irrelevant.
Jeff Immelt and the other CEO's may be lurking in the group.
They want to have tax holiday so the corps can bring their profit $ back into the US without paying the income taxes they would owe.

Fools - their cash flows are pointing the wrong way.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:13 AM   #148
TheMercenary

Sounds just like the WTO protesters....

http://biggovernment.com/abreitbart/...s-governments/
Old 10-14-2011, 08:15 AM   #149
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
Jeff Immelt and the other CEO's may be lurking in the group.
They want to have tax holiday so the corps can bring their profit $ back into the US without paying the income taxes they would owe.

Fools - their cash flows are pointing the wrong way.
Eh, I don't consider business owners and investors as fools. Their cash flows are theirs to do with as they like, no matter how many people want to take it from them and give to others.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:16 AM   #150
glatt

You're making stuff up. You have no idea what they studied. You invent a scenario in your head to fit your prejudices.

How many jobs you have is relevant to your credibility. You have multiple jobs and live a comfortable life and are laughing at the have-nots who only want a chance at the american dream. But the jobs aren't there.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote