The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 12-15-2003, 10:22 PM   #151
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by quzah

Sure there's healthcare. If you can afford it.

Quzah.
Or if you have a good job that provides it. Oooo don't get me started! Healthcare workers tend to treat you "differently" when they find out that you are on the state's insurance instead of commercial. Trust me, I know all too well...

And the thing that REALLY gets me is that if you are already ill (read: preexisiting conditions), you'll have to wait up to a year for your benefits to kick in, but they will want you to still pay the monthly preminums. Oh hell no: why would I want to pay for a service that I can't use immediately?

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 10:29 PM   #152
ladysycamore

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
People with low/no incomes qualify for medical assistance, which is many cases is better coverage than a lot of paid iinsurance plans.
True, but you practically have to have one foot in the poverty gutter to get EVERYTHING covered. As it stands, I don't have prescriptions covered because I fall into a certain category. In other words, the state assumes that I make too much money (between unemployment and SSDI). They must be out of their goddamned minds if they think that those incomes could afford HALF of the total of medications that I have to take everyday! They better be lucky that there is such a thing as State Renal Insurance, or I'd pretty much be dead by now, no joke!

I guess I shouldn't complain too much because I also have Medicare (which renal patients are pretty much automatically qualified for, but again, no script coverage). But still, it's been a hassle at times dealing with the state, so I guess all that is coming back to me as I write this. Sorry...

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
Old 12-15-2003, 10:39 PM   #153
ladysycamore

Quote:
Originally posted by Radar
This is all more rhetoric in an attempt to get re-elected, but it just won't happen.

My dad thought this too (that this was all a political ploy). He also doesn't think they have the real Hussain (DNA tests be damned!).

Just keep your eyes open for the merchandise coming to a Walmart near you:

*on a t-shirt*
"Ladies and Gentlemen...WE GOT 'IM!"

America LOVES a catchphrase....

Old 12-15-2003, 11:13 PM   #154
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally posted by ladysycamore

My dad thought this too (that this was all a political ploy). He also doesn't think they have the real Hussain (DNA tests be damned!).
I have Yahoo has my home page, so when I open firebird, I got presented with the news. I immediately ran over to turn on CNN and Steve (ever the skeptic, I cannot understand HOW he became Christian...) says,

Him: "How do they know it's him?"
Me: "They did DNA tests. It's him."
Him: "Well, with DNA don't you have to have something to test it against?"
Me: "Yeah."
Him: "Well, where did we get his DNA from?"
Me: (blinking)
Him: "I mean, he has like 100 doubles, how do we know the DNA that they think is his is really his and not his double's DNA? What if we got his double's DNA and now we only have his double?"
Me: ".......uh....... I dunno?"
Him: (warming up to the subject) "I mean, wouldn't that be something? He didn't fight because he's NOT THE REAL ONE! He's like the one we saw after we bombed Baghdad. You know the one that we weren't sure was him or his double. What if we captured that guy?"

Yeah. Life in my apartment. Always the conundrums.

OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 11:20 PM   #155
ladysycamore

Quote:
Originally posted by OnyxCougar

I have Yahoo has my home page, so when I open firebird, I got presented with the news. I immediately ran over to turn on CNN and Steve (ever the skeptic, I cannot understand HOW he became Christian...) says,

Him: "I mean, he has like 100 doubles, how do we know the DNA that they think is his is really his and not his double's DNA? What if we got his double's DNA and now we only have his double?"
Me: ".......uh....... I dunno?"
Him: (warming up to the subject) "I mean, wouldn't that be something? He didn't fight because he's NOT THE REAL ONE! He's like the one we saw after we bombed Baghdad. You know the one that we weren't sure was him or his double. What if we captured that guy?"

Yeah. Life in my apartment. Always the conundrums.

Dear god...sounds like he's channeling my dad...lol!! He also mentioned the many doubles, and it did make me think a bit. Now Steve has me thinking some more...heh!

Just pondering the possibilities...

Old 12-16-2003, 07:48 AM   #156
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

A little gem from Ralph Peters:

As we wait for the details behind Saddam's capture, want to know why we got Uday and Qusay? The reward was tempting. But the deciding factor for their unhappy host was more visceral: Saddam's boys smacked around his wife. At that point, our money and the promise of relocation abroad became irresistible. Uday and Qusay signed their own death warrants with a temper tantrum.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 08:54 AM   #157
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

I like this paragraph best.
Quote:
Meanwhile, there have been many other encouraging details the media ignored. In that devastating attack on the Italian police, the terrorists had to expend more resources than previously. Heightened security didn't stop the attack, but it raised the price. The bomb-laden vehicle didn't carry a single suicide bomber. There were four terrorists inside, one to drive and three to shoot their way through the guards and barricades. May not sound like much, but that means one suicide attack instead of four. Even in the Middle East, there isn't an unlimited supply of young men willing to blow themselves up. The cost of terrorism continues to rise for our enemies.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:19 AM   #158
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally posted by OnyxCougar

I'm sure they took samples from his kids. That in itself should be enough to make sure it's not one of the doubles.
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 09:26 AM   #159
FileNotFound
Intouch with his inner sheep rider.

Does anyone else find it odd that the best Saddam could pull off as far as a hiding place goes is a hole in the ground?

You'd think that someone with his level of connections and financial assests would have been better prepared. Just seemed odd to me from the start.
FileNotFound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 09:36 AM   #160
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

If he was truly a sociopath, he could easily have had no conception that he could be defeated.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 11:54 AM   #161
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally posted by dar512

I'm sure they took samples from his kids. That in itself should be enough to make sure it's not one of the doubles.
I'll point that out and see what he can come up with.
Old 12-16-2003, 12:18 PM   #162
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by dar512

Assuming he's really their father ...

(you know, this can go on and on and on and on with no satisfactory resolution)

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 01:02 PM   #163
Torrere
a real smartass

but wouldn't it be funny if we did DNA tests and found out that Uday and Qusay had had different fathers?

--

Nice post, onetrack.

I had been wondering if the US Occupation might be able to unite the Iraqi people. If we keep at it like this for long enough, we might be one of the better things that have happened to them in the past four hundred years.
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 01:15 PM   #164
quzah
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

Quote:
Originally posted by Torrere
but wouldn't it be funny if we did DNA tests and found out that Uday and Qusay had had different fathers?
Next week on Maury...

"Have you cheated on your ruthless-leader-of-a-3rd-world-country-husband?"
"Do you suspect you've been sleeping with the double of your ruthless-leader-of-a-3rd-world-country-husband?"

Quzah.
quzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 03:09 PM   #165
jinx
Come on, cat.

"We caught the wrong guy"